• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,115 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2023 at 10:19 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Noice! I'm still having trouble finding a 4 and 8 at the right condition/price ratio for me. Boy of them seem a little inflated in relation to Purple and Stilt Man's overall significance.

Thanks!! The beauty of Silver Age is that it's plentiful enough that you can just wait for the right copy (grade and price) and eventually you'll find what you're looking for! Golden Age is completely different! It's much more of a "Love the one you're with" situation! You may wait YEARS before even HAVING another shot at a copy if you pass one by too casually. I've shifted most of my focus to Silver Age and I'm having a LOT of fun!!!  (thumbsu

On 2/9/2023 at 11:19 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Noice! I'm still having trouble finding a 4 and 8 at the right condition/price ratio for me. Boy of them seem a little inflated in relation to Purple and Stilt Man's overall significance.

At least with #4, Purple Man made his way into the Daredevil show (and was made into a far more significant and genuinely terrifying threat than he ever was in the comics).

Stilt-Man is not a character that's ever likely to get serious treatment in TV or film, and I think calling #8 a "key" is mostly a recognition of how weak DD's rogues' gallery is.  Not too many heroes can say that of their top four villains, two (Kingpin and Punisher) were really imports from another hero's book and the other two (Bullseye and Elektra) first appeared more than 100 issues into their run.

On 2/9/2023 at 4:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

At least with #4, Purple Man made his way into the Daredevil show (and was made into a far more significant and genuinely terrifying threat than he ever was in the comics).

Stilt-Man is not a character that's ever likely to get serious treatment in TV or film, and I think calling #8 a "key" is mostly a recognition of how weak DD's rogues' gallery is.  Not too many heroes can say that of their top four villains, two (Kingpin and Punisher) were really imports from another hero's book and the other two (Bullseye and Elektra) first appeared more than 100 issues into their run.

I'd probably throw the Owl and the Gladiator into Daredevil's top villains, but I have not read many Daredevil comics beyond issues #1-20 and the Miller run so my knowledge is limited.

I know that the Gladiator turned into an ally, but always thought he was a cool villain and liked his costume...

On 2/9/2023 at 7:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's absolutely true and the rise in value with his appearance and importance in the TV series was no surprise. The thing is, the show has been over for years now and the character isn't currently doing anything nor am I aware of any upcoming MCU plans for him. Almost without fail following the release of a movie or TV show the value of C-lister villains returns from the stratosphere to pre-hype levels with great regularity. We're seeing dips from the 21-22 craziness but both of those issues still look way overvalued to me.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:21 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

That's absolutely true and the rise in value with his appearance and importance in the TV series was no surprise. The thing is, the show has been over for years now and the character isn't currently doing anything nor am I aware of any upcoming MCU plans for him. Almost without fail following the release of a movie or TV show the value of C-lister villains returns from the stratosphere to pre-hype levels with great regularity. We're seeing dips from the 21-22 craziness but both of those issues still look way overvalued to me.

Yeah, I agree that there don't seem to be any more plans to bring Purple Man back, but I have to say that no other villain stayed in my head as long as he did, thanks to a fantastic --script and David Tennant's harrowing performance.  Obviously all superpowers are "unrealistic" but his was the most realistically portrayed and terrifying power set I've seen on the big or small screen.  More than any other villain I've seen, I found myself thinking about how lucky we are that there isn't really a guy who can do that.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 2/9/2023 at 9:38 AM, Frisco Larson said:

While some of those could be upgraded for sure (and eventually WILL be with certified copies), those copies of 3, 6 & 7 are my original copies from when I first got back into collecting in the early 90s, back when you had to rely on whatever turned up in town. 

nuttin' modest about a 1-10 run of dd!!!