• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL!!! Greatest Marvel Comics of the Silver Age

Greatest Marvel Comics of the Silver Age  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Marvel Comics of the Silver Age

25 posts in this topic

It should be COMIC, unless you're allowing us to vote for more than one?

You should put Strange Tales 110 in there as well, although I'm sure noone will vote for it. And if you're going to put FF 48, than ASM 50 should be on there as well

Brian

It should be COMIC, unless you're allowing us to vote for more than one?

You should put Strange Tales 110 in there as well, although I'm sure noone will vote for it. And if you're going to put FF 48, than ASM 50 should be on there as well

Brian

You know i thought about those 2 but dismissed them. But now that you mention it, that should not have been my call... Let the voters decide. Use the thread to vote for those.. Its too late to fix the poll though. Thanks!

Low blow, Brian. Notable silver DC's:

Show 4, 8, 22, 30, 34, 54, 55.

Brave Bold 28, 34, Hawkman 1, JLA 1, 9,

Atom 1, Spectre 1, Gr Lantern 1, 40, 76, etc.

Detective 369 Batgirl, 400 N Adams. cloud9.gif

Don't forget Flash #105. There wouldn't be a silver age without it. cloud9.gif

The thing is though most of the notable Silver DC books are just revivals of GA characters.

How much inovation was actually going on at DC in the Silver Age?

You all are such haters.......DC bought the comic market into the 60's. Team ups such as JLA and Teen Titans and they modernised costumes. They were definitely innovators.

By the way how much innovation has marvel done in the last 25 yrs??

To be honest guys.....my original post was just aimed at poking a bit of fun because all you DC hater's take every opportunity to have a dig. All I can say is....comparing Marvel to DC and the role DC has played in superhero comics is like saying that America has as much history as England. 893blahblah.gif

893offtopic1.gif

Hey, I'm no DC hater (well maybe a little grin.gif) and I wasn't suggesting for a second that they have NEVER been innovators.

The point I was making was that DC's real big characters and innovations came from the GA and since this thread was about the greatest books from the SA, it is fair to bias it Marvel's way.

How come there wasn't a nil option....i.e. Marvel has never produced a classic silver age book.

Don't forget Flash #105. There wouldn't be a silver age without it. cloud9.gif

I dont want this to turn into a DC vs Marvel thread but i cant let your anti-marvel quotes go unchecked. I respect DC greatly although i am not a huge fan. They started superheros in comics for God's sake. But when it comes down to it, they have maybe 5 or 6 great superheros. They were innovative, and groundbreaking in the golden age and in the late 1950's. But they cant TOUCH Marvel from 1962 until about 1975. Just take a look at your list from earlier:

Notable silver DC's:

Show 4, 8, 22, 30, 34, 54, 55.

Brave Bold 28, 34, Hawkman 1, JLA 1, 9,

Atom 1, Spectre 1, Gr Lantern 1, 40, 76, etc.

Detective 369 Batgirl, 400 N Adams.

Those comics are great stories and have some nice new character intro's, BUT LOOK AT MY LIST OF COMICS IN THE POLL. They introduced:

Spiderman

Hulk

Thor

Iron Man

Xmen

Avengers

Fantastic Four

Daredevil

Dr. Doom

Green Goblin

Silver Surfer

Sgt Fury

Not to mention the re-intro of Cap and Subby and a TON of great villans. DC just doesnt compare in the Silver age. Now, Golden age is a different argument. (Please note that i do respect DC and this is not meant to bash them...) But to come down on Marvel in the SA??!?!? THEY WERE THE SILVER AGE!!!

IMHO

[quoteThose comics are great stories and have some nice new character intro's, BUT LOOK AT MY LIST OF COMICS IN THE POLL. They introduced:

Spiderman

Hulk

Thor

Iron Man

Xmen

Avengers

Fantastic Four

Daredevil

Dr. Doom

Green Goblin

Silver Surfer

Sgt Fury

Not to mention the re-intro of Cap and Subby and a TON of great villans. DC just doesnt compare in the Silver age. Now, Golden age is a different argument. (Please note that i do respect DC and this is not meant to bash them...) But to come down on Marvel in the SA??!?!? THEY WERE THE SILVER AGE!!!

IMHO

Most of those characters are just variations of a genre already well established. Let's get real though about some of those characters. Sgt Fury.....pleeeeeeeease. Silver Surfer..............minor at best and very one dimensional.Avengers.........rip off.

Having said that.......yes Marvel own the right to say they were the silver age. 893censored-thumb.gif

Avengers are a rip off of what? Like it's a really original idea to team some people together and call it a "team".

Most of those characters only comparable characteristic with a DC character is that they have super powers.

Either way, if DC had such great characters that's why DC is the most popular back issue company out there right? What...it's not? frown.gif

Brian

Most of those characters are just variations of a genre already well established. Let's get real though about some of those characters. Sgt Fury.....pleeeeeeeease. Silver Surfer..............minor at best and very one dimensional.Avengers.........rip off.

Having said that.......yes Marvel own the right to say they were the silver age. 893censored-thumb.gif

As you can see by my spinning DC moniker below, I hold DC in high regard. But if you ever call the Silver Surfer one dimentional again I will have to ...

respond to you with a strongly worded post on a comic book message board. makepoint.gif

Yawn.

Marvel vs. DC. Haven't we been here before?

So, let me state that FF 51 (This Man, This Monster) is probably the best silver age superhero story from any publisher. And while DC was re-imagining its Golden Age characters, Marvel was inventing brand new icons. And ya gotta admit, "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" is a cool slogan and fits right in to the Cold War ethos America found herself in during the early 1960s.

However,

without DC Silver Age, there would have been no Marvel Age of comics beginning in 1961.

Showcase 4 starts the Silver Age.

Leads to Brave & Bold 28, first JLA. (Revive the Flash => revive the JSA)

Leads to Fantastic Four 1. (idea comes to Martin Goodman on the golf course with the head guy from National Periodical Pubs)

Leads to the Amazing Spider-Man, etc. etc. etc.

Also I firmly believe without two strong contenders in DC and Marvel constantly trying to creatively out-do the other, we would not have seen all those cool Bronze Age books from each company. Similarly, there are signs that the New Marvel is finally waking DC up from the funk they've been in for the last decade or so.

Two healthy and competitive comics companies can only be good for the readers, the creators, the dealers, etc.!

Cheers,

Z.

I don't follow this stuff much because it's really not very interesting IMO, and it's difficult to prove either way. But personally I don't think that the characters that Marvel created WOULD NOT have existed if DC didn't do whatever they were doing at the time.

Brian

I don't follow this stuff much because it's really not very interesting IMO, and it's difficult to prove either way. But personally I don't think that the characters that Marvel created WOULD NOT have existed if DC didn't do whatever they were doing at the time.

Brian

Hey Murph, I am with you 100%. Lets call it a great rivalry and end it with that... I am much more interested in the "crisis" message board. Joanna is hilarious...