• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is the Heritage RAW grading the past few weeks?

9 posts in this topic

I bought a raw GA book from their last signature auction. Based on the humongous scan, it looked to me like the book was over-graded but in reality, when I got the book it looked a lot closer to their stated grade (still over-graded by a step or maybe two, but it has unique defects). Last year, I bought a group lot of "VF+" books, one of which was very nice and came back from CGC as a 9.4.

On another thread we discussed the new Heritage no retun policy (based on pedigree accuracy or grading issues). How has the grading been? Post a few books and let's see if they did a good, average, great or poor job?

Stuart, can you post a link to this thread?

Arex

I can't find the thread but it revolved around this discalimer:

Important Note on Pedigree Designations

We have provided pedigree attributions wherever possible for the uncertified comics in this auction, as well as providing grades for every lot as usual. Designations in bold type (e.g. All-New Comics #2 Mile High pedigree) represent a high degree of certainty on our part as to the pedigree; in some cases as an aid to bidders we have noted in the body of a description that a given comic is "possibly" or "probably" a pedigree copy.

The grades and pedigree attributions for uncertified comics were primarily assessed by Ed Jaster of Heritage Auction Galleries and vetted by Lon Allen and other Heritage staff members. Ed and Lon are seasoned graders. Ed is a senior Overstreet Advisor who served as an AACC Grading and Certification panelist for Christie's auctions in 1994 and 1995; Lon Allen is also a senior Overstreet Advisor. In many cases, other experts were consulted as well; the pedigree attributions represent our best guess based on a firsthand evaluation and all available facts.

For the record, John McLaughlin was considered by many experts to have the largest holding of Mile High/Edgar Church books of any individual collector. He tended to collect by sets, runs, or clusters of an individual title, rather than assembling the collection in smaller, piecemeal fashion.

Heritage does not guarantee that lots in this auction will receive the same pedigree designation or grade from third-party certification services if submitted later. Returns on the basis of disputes over pedigree designations or grading will not be accepted.

I saw some books that were really overgraded. It was quite obvious in the image they provided. Just wondering if a NM book(per them) was really a solid VF with back cover damage or something that did not appear on the posted image?