• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you read comic books in public places?

Do you read comics in public?  

645 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read comics in public?

109 posts in this topic

Just curious about this. Here in New York City, I pretty rarely see anyone reading a comic book on the subway or in other public places, which always strikes me as kind of a shame and a disappointing symptom of the shrinking of the industry in general. But when I think about it, I almost never do it either...I pretty rarely read comics anywhere outside of home or the office.

There's the infamous stigma of comic reading which clearly must play some part in reducing comics' visibility...plus for us diehards, preserving the condition of books is a big concern as well, even more than it used to be (I collect GA/SA books pretty much exclusively, so I can't exactly read those on the train).

So I thought it would be an interesting question to pose to a board of obviously hardcore comic collectors. Do you read or show your books in public? I'll make it a poll (hey, my first!) but would love to hear further thoughts/comments on this.

I don't have a problem with it. I have a Marvel Masterworks Vol. 1 of ASM--I often read that. Don't have to worry about condition. I also have a bunch of comics I keep in the back seat of my car that I got from bargain bins. I think one time I actually took a SA book somewhere with me 27_laughing.gif MIght have been my Avengers #20--its only about a 3.5 or so.

I actually read Daredevil 298, 299, 300 on the plane today to Paris... they are 1 buck books in any grade and mine are VF so figured what the hell... and the storyline is great... but now that you mention it, this is the first time in 5 years i read comics in public, preservation being the general issue as i dont collect trades or HC books....

Interesting threat, well done 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've read comics on the plane home from a trip or going somewhere after I made a nice low grade purchase, and I've read a comic magazine on the way home from the LCS, but pretty much I keep any reading to counting pages, and perusing the artwork...sometimes I'll read the words.....if it's a title I really like.

Nice to see I'm no longer the only "sometimes" vote!

If I go to my LCS and then go somewhere to order food to go, I will read one while waiting. But usually the comics go straight to our office which is just around the corner from the LCS.

I will read TPBs on planes or just about anywhere but I rarely read TPBs.

Marc

If Trades count, then yes. I have brought books into work with me many times and either read them in the break room or in my office. I've also sat at Barnes & Noble and Borders, drank coffee and read books there.

Oh, by the way, do public restrooms count. insane.gif

I also read trades in public. I beat the living [embarrassing lack of self control] out of them and encourage people to ask questions. I've also been offering people to borrow them after I'm done.

Concerning individual issues, can't really do it. I bring them into work on Wednesday to keep out of the hot sun. And people are always trying to poke and prod. One lady seriously asked if X-men was a name for a triple X comic. At first, I simply could not believe she didn't know who the X-men were. But then I was a bit nervous. If she thought it, others at work might and it could have been an HR issue. Pretty funny now that I think about it.

The other thing I hate is when a non-comic lover flips through the book. They have no interest and no idea about condition. Just not a pretty sight unless the book is a reader copy.

Pat