• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you read comic books in public places?

Do you read comics in public?  

645 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read comics in public?

109 posts in this topic

Strangely enough, over the past several months I've seen about 5 or 6 people between the ages of 15 and 25 (one female 893whatthe.gif) reading comic books in public places (train, building cafeteria, concourse area, etc.). The only one I could make out from the far was a "Danger Girl" book. I haven't seen anything like this in over a decade.

I rarely read a comic book in public. Now I will read trade paperbacks or comic related magazines like Alter Ego on the plane or in an airport.

The nmain reason that I don't read a comic book in public is that it's too hard to keep the issue from getting danmaged. Although lately, I've been thinking about taken along a few 60's DC's that were fun reads when I was a kid.

GJ

I don't, but it's mainly because I've been focusing on Golden Age books. I no longer buy new books. I'm not exactly going to bring a $700 book to work so I can read it at lunch. When I read comics, it's at night before bed to help me unwind. cloud9.gif

i read them in this pizza place thats right next to a comic shop. i'll go there for lunch during the week. stop in the cs first grabe a few books. then read one in the pizza place while waiting for my grub. can't beat it. but i do think people look at me funny.

Just curious about this. Here in New York City, I pretty rarely see anyone reading a comic book on the subway or in other public places, which always strikes me as kind of a shame and a disappointing symptom of the shrinking of the industry in general. But when I think about it, I almost never do it either...I pretty rarely read comics anywhere outside of home or the office.

There's the infamous stigma of comic reading which clearly must play some part in reducing comics' visibility...plus for us diehards, preserving the condition of books is a big concern as well, even more than it used to be (I collect GA/SA books pretty much exclusively, so I can't exactly read those on the train).

So I thought it would be an interesting question to pose to a board of obviously hardcore comic collectors. Do you read or show your books in public? I'll make it a poll (hey, my first!) but would love to hear further thoughts/comments on this.

I was reading Boys 1 on the airplane and the lady next to me told the Flight attendant to move her...... 893whatthe.gif

I was reading a Gallery on a bus one time and this east indian dude moved and made his wife sit next to me smile.gif

Really I been seeing loads of people reading comics in public, on buses and on their breaks at work. It's funny because the older people will talk about the values of comics and the younger people talk about cartoons

I tend to read TPB's in public (as I'm wary of taking my comics out to read them - also I read rather quickly thus unless I need to read in public for like 1 minute it would be useless to have a single comic with me.

I have absolutely no shame (hellm I may even read one of those hated Wizards in public) as the stigma really is about looking childish/dumb. I have some 5,000 + hardback novels/collections etc from James Joyce, to Mishima Mishima Yukio, to Kafka, to Calvino, to Eco, to Wolfe, to Angela Carter, etc, etc to more modern works by Ballard, Daniewlewski, Ishiguro, Okri, Chabon, Pavic, to Saramago to Riki Ducornett - nobody is going to be able to make me feel belittled by my reading habits and I have never worried about perception. Quite frankly more people in the last 10 years are more likely to be reading a Dan Brown book in public which is undoubtebly more elementary in nature (in terms of style and recognition/use of literary elements) than books by comic writers like a Moore or Gaiman or Morrison or an Ennis on a good day.

Somebody's perception of me via what I read is not something I really consider at all.

I voted "All the time"

I have been reading comics in public places since I can remember. Half of my comic reading is done when I travel and is the only way I could ever get through as many as I do in a month.

I could not care less if anyone sees me, I am quite proud of the fact that I read SOME of the most original and thought provoking stuff around thumbsup2.gif

I read comics, trades, and HCs in public all the time. If I just bought some and then go to the bar with some friends or whatever, I don't drop the books off first. I take them with and read them there. Matter of fact, my best friend collects GI Joes and often cracks them in public at the bar. My wife now reads her comics in public too if she happens to have them on her.

Honestly, though, that doesn't count as weird in Toronto. I don't think people take a second look at it really. I got slightly more odd looks when I used to take them to work to read at lunch hours. But since my cubicle was decked out in Spider-Man stuff, nobody really thought that much of it!

That all said, I can't stand it when someone who doesn't collect flips through my comics. I *never* even show a SA or high-end book when I have them. I hide them in as many bags as I can to protect from light and people.

If I am at the store I will read them off the rack, but I am hesitant to take an actual book I have bought in public to read....I would have to beat down the A-Hole that knocked it out of my hands....