• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you read comic books in public places?

Do you read comics in public?  

645 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read comics in public?

109 posts in this topic

Everybody I know knows I collect. I don't really care who knows to be honest, I don't think any of them would be up for making fun of it...

While I am a collector and reader first, why would I ever dare take my precioussesss out somewhere where they could be damaged or lost? I like my books to be in as nice of shape as possible.

Seriously, I have taken TPBs out in public and on airplanes, and I used to stop at either a park near a small lake or a certain parking lot on the way home from getting comics way back in the day and read all my new stuff before I ever got home, but I was always careful (and was one of those nerds that carried bags&boards with me so each comic got protected before I left the LCS parking lot.) I also used to carry some of my comics with me back in 7th grade, where there were a few of us that traded around.

(shrug)

-slym

Everybody I know knows I collect. I don't really care who knows to be honest, I don't think any of them would be up for making fun of it...

Hangabout - this is a forum about collecting comics?

Jesus... the shame!!!

Thought this was where nerds came to try to pick up women doh!

I voted no in the poll because in my regular day to day I never read anything in public but then I realized pretty much everytime I am on a ferry or plane I have a comic hardcover (they tend to travel well) with me that I am reading.

If you are on the subway here in Hong Kong you'll find many people that are reading comics (if not listening to their MP3 or playing video games).

I don't read my stuff in public because I'm too obsessive-compulsive about damage. However, I don't feel stigmatised at all by people knowing that I collect comic books.

Someone I speak to in my LCS, a big Daredevil fan that works at the local Morrisons supermarket, recently mentioned that he doesn't mind derisive comments being made by his colleagues while he's reading his new comics on a break.

Mind you, it wouldn't be all that difficult to brush off their double standards and subjectivity, considering that these critics are probably reading "Nuts" or "Heat" or something equally intellectually draining in front of him.

i prefer floppies over trades, and bringing floppies with me to the clinic or dmv would just seem too much of a hassle. so i do not read comics in public, i either play games on my cellphone or bring along a novel if i think ahead.

I'm too protective of my books to take them anywhere.

Kind of pathetic when I think about it. Tomorrow I'm taking Uncle Scrooge to lunch with me.

I'm getting more and more like this. It never bothered me in the past and read my modern books everywhere I could. Now I tend to only read TPB's when i'm out and about.

Oh yeah, everybody knows I collect and see nothing to be ashamed off (thumbs u