• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,762 posts in this topic

I forget who did the cover; was it Flessel or O'Mealia? Looks like Flessel but I thought he usually signed his work.

That has been a definite point of contention in the past. There was a thread about it somewhere in this section. If I remember correctly, the final consensus was that it was indeed Flessel. I will see if I can dig up the thread.

It was in the "Tribute to Flessel" thread. GCD, Timely, and other experts all weighed in to say that the cover to #37 (and Double Action #2) was done by Flessel.

I'll keep the thread from getting bogged down on my Adventure #40 by posting one of my other favorites, #37:

Adventure%2037%20Front.jpg

I forget who did the cover; was it Flessel or O'Mealia? Looks like Flessel but I thought he usually signed his work.

Nice copy! I'm buying a copy off Comiclink right now (I'm waiting & waiting for the sale to go through - but that's another topic). The copy I'm buying is CGC 5.0 which, surprisingly, is the highest-graded Unrestored copy to date. I'm sure yours would grade at least that high, even with the piece missing. Since I can't get my hands on Double Action #2, this is the next best thing. takeit.gif

Flessel drew quite a number of different races in his span of pre-hero Adventures.

I do believe that's what makes Flessel's work so attractive to most of us here, beyond his draftsmanship abilities, not to mention the nice coloring job done on those early Adventure books.

Yet, I cannot pass up the opportunity to mention that the cultural diversity presented on those pages seem natural to me. I'm going on a limb here but allow me: let's refer back to the other Adventure title. I'm going to show you below a run of 1919 covers from that other mag. Recall that Flessel was born in early 1912 (February) and would have been about 7, the wonder age, when he saw these on the newsstand. How could he fail to be impressed by these diverse images! -

1413504-Adventure1919-1.jpg

1413504-Adventure1919-2.jpg

1413504-Adventure1919-3.jpg

1413504-Adventure1919-3.jpg.2467578e282ed053146ccc85e757d581.jpg

Another Flessel water cover, New Adventure #31 (the last issue before they dropped the "New"):

adventure31.jpg

Flessel drew quite a number of different races in his span of pre-hero Adventures.

Living in Alaska....I might need to get a copy of that one. cloud9.gif

Neat covers, Scrooge, thanks for posting them.

While we're on the subject of Flessel and water, here's Adventure #32.

In my experience, this book isn't as scarce as the ones before and after it.

adventure32.jpg

Since it is so common Win, and you know I need it, how's about selling it to me? flowerred.gif

If folks want to see more of the New Comics humor covers, let me know (I have most of them). Otherwise, I will move on to some of the Flessel covers.

I am reminded of the line by the Caribbean woman at the end of the movie "Trading Places," who, when asked by Coleman whether she wants the lobster or the cracked crab for lunch, replied, "Can't we have both?" 893crossfingers-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Okay, I'll post a couple more of the humor covers since Centaurman is posting so many Flessels.

Here is New Comics #10:

1414104-NewComics10%28LV%29%282%29.jpg

1414104-NewComics10(LV)(2).jpg.37a63a77092f81c5f8b2d1b4001ef5e5.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

Ok, so not a lot of interest in #35. That's fine, moving on to another Flessel.....

Adventure #36 is one of my favorites. I can imagine being a kid looking at this cover in amazement.

Must've been pretty cool to see something like this in a time with no color TV's. This was cutting edge entertainment.

adventure36.jpg

Agreed! Even though these comics appeared decades before I was born, I've always loved the pre-superhero books more than anything else. Comics have always been a business first and foremost (at least from the publisher's point of view), but these books were true to the title in that they really inspired a sense of "Adventure". I guess I'm just old at heart.