• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

How uncalled for. Robert Beerbohm is an esteemed member of the comic community as an overstreet advisor and the person who found the tom reily (san Fransisco) collection with over 25 years experience in the industry and a very nice individual on top of that. He posted a few cool pieces it this thread the fact that he added that they were for sale should be overlooked unless you wish to purchase them.

The above could be said for Vincent from Metro or Chucky from Mile High. Just because they are highly thought of doesn't mean they should pimp their wares in the regular threads. It's not just the ones in this thread. He's doing it in others as well. While the books are nice it does feel like he's just trying to show off stuff for sale.

If they were things that weren't listed on his site it would be different. Or if he didn't slap the "for sale" sign on them. If I want to know what he has for sale I'll go over there... and I do.

Adam, that is the nicest copy I have seen of what I consider to be the best of all Hitler covers. Further proof of what a great artist Sultan was. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Would someone please explain to me what the dark-skinned native on the right side of the cover is supposed to be doing, and what it has to do with the rest of the cover?

Adam, that is the nicest copy I have seen of what I consider to be the best of all Hitler covers. Further proof of what a great artist Sultan was. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Would someone please explain to me what the dark-skinned native on the right side of the cover is supposed to be doing, and what it has to do with the rest of the cover?

Adam would have to show you the back cover. That native appears in The Lost City, the movie who is the subject of a good chunk of the book inside. The back cover has a composite shot of movie stills, including the native again.

I know someone posted a shot of it on the boards before but I don't remember in which thread. Maybe Norinn remembers ...

How uncalled for. Robert Beerbohm is an esteemed member of the comic community as an overstreet advisor and the person who found the tom reily (san Fransisco) collection with over 25 years experience in the industry and a very nice individual on top of that. He posted a few cool pieces it this thread the fact that he added that they were for sale should be overlooked unless you wish to purchase them.

I'm sure someone as thoughtful and polite as Bob would be happy to follow forum guidelines. There is a thread for members/dealers/anyone to list books that they have for sale on their website.

well, maybe i over-reached a bit on this forum. I am gearing up for a hip replacement operation which has dampened my going out of town to all the shows i had been doing. need to raise bucks

do i want to P.O. anybody off? of course not

I'm sure someone as thoughtful and polite as Bob would be happy to follow forum guidelines. There is a thread for members/dealers/anyone to list books that they have for sale on their website.

well, maybe i over-reached a bit on this forum. I am gearing up for a hip replacement operation which has dampened my going out of town to all the shows i had been doing. need to raise bucks

No offense taken and good luck with the sales.

Are we seriously telling Bob not to post on-topic covers in this thread? I'd MUCH rather see his cover scans than cute in-jokes or

hail.gifinsane.gifstooges.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gifdevil.gif

Who cares whether they're scans of his stock or "personal collection", whatever that means for someone whose livelihood is built around old comic books? How would his cover scans contribute to this very interesting thread if he were to post them over in Marketplace, a forum that I never look at? Don't other dealers post scans from their inventory? Isn't every book here potentially for sale if the price is right? How often have we read,

"Is that for sale? takeit.gif"

"acclaim.gif PM me."

Of course I haven't contributed anything but a pair of eyes to this thread. How do people posting their wonderful scans feel about it?

Good luck with the hip replacement, just the thing for schlepping long-boxes of comic books cross-country. I fear that one's in the cards for me some day too.

Jack

Don't other dealers post scans from their inventory?

In general, no they don't. Are their exceptions, sure. I wouldn't have mentioned anything about the couple books he posted here except that he already posted quite a few in the ACG thread with the explicit mention of them being for sale. Nor would I make any comment if Bob used some inventory book to illustrate some point about an artist or comics history.

I would prefer that this forum not turn into the marketplace forum as, having visited them on occasion, I believe it would make this forum less interesting. The architect created various "For Sale" forums to support board commerce and to leave other forums primarily commercial free. Further, if Bob were to continue posting at the rate he started, on what grounds would we refuse Meto, PGCMint, etc from posting at a similar pace and drowning the relatively small volume of non-commercial activity.

Edited by adamstrange

In general, no they don't. Are their exceptions, sure. I wouldn't have mentioned anything about the couple books he posted here except that he already posted quite a few in the ACG thread with the explicit mention of them being for sale. Nor would I make any comment if Bob used some inventory book to illustrate some point about an artist or comics history.

I would prefer that this forum not turn into the marketplace forum as, having visited them on occasion, I believe it would make this forum less interesting. The architect created various "For Sale" forums to support board commerce and to leave other forums primarily commercial free.

Well said. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I would prefer that this forum not turn into the marketplace forum as, having visited them on occasion, I believe it would make this forum less interesting. The architect created various "For Sale" forums to support board commerce and to leave other forums primarily commercial free.

Agreed - I'm 100% with Adam on this one.

STEVE Got Larson?

Shows what I know. I'm clearly outvoted by the regulars with 10x my posts and those that actually have Centaur books. Personally, I enjoyed Bob's runs of ACG covers, many of which I had never seen.

Jack

Agreed - I'm 100% with Adam on this one.

STEVE Got Larson?

I think that part of it too is that it's just not as impressive that a dealer has a comic. I'm partial to the thought of how cool it is that someone was able to acquire some of these. For Bob and others it's just part of their business.

Now Bob's victorian age stuff... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To get this thread back on track...

Punch9.jpg

I think that part of it too is that it's just not as impressive that a dealer has a comic. I'm partial to the thought of how cool it is that someone was able to acquire some of these. For Bob and others it's just part of their business.

Now Bob's victorian age stuff... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

\

Rather than clog this thread up replying to every post here which all are well thought out, yes, i posted a whole slew of ACGs over on that thread. Before i posted any more than just 4 or 5 of them, i requested any body reading that thread to ask me which ones they might want to see, and what i posted were what people asked to see, and the PMers mentioned if i put them up on the thread, or PM'd em back, either was OK.

So, the only ACGs i posted there were what i was asked to post, hence, i put up Blazing West (Hooded Horseman shows up with #14), Spy & Counter-Spy, Spy-Hunter, and some of the Adventures Into the Unknown

No one asked me to post any other titles, so i did not, and the thread has dropped down the list, as i had no intention of flooding it per se, and i ask how many people have seen almost all the scarce Adv Unk 3-D effect run - i bought this ACG collection to explore the company

Where i over-stepped is only here, in the cosmic scheme of things, by posting those two Chesler books - a company i have explored since getting my first one back in, oh, 1969, when i discovered Dynamic 17 after acquiring a Crime Reporter 2, which is where Wertham saw the Hot Poker story he dissects in Seduction of the Innocent

I began by investigating any sort of relationship with Chesler first publishing that story, then St John picking it up for CR #2. Some body back then must have liked that one. I began investigating SOTI about the time Fred Wertham called me up at my house in Fremont as a high school student in 1969 to order a subscription to my comics fanzine FANZATION which contained contribs from Jerry Bails, Steve Ditko, Ted White, Robert Weinberg (Chicago comicon promoter and major SF historian) among many others. FANZATION #5 had a Crandall cover

Wertham and i exchanged a lot of letters in 1969-71, he said he was doing a book on comics fans. My fanzine was referenced at least 9 times in his last book THE WORLD OF FANZINES. The index only mentions 2 places, and one of those is the wrong page. The index in TWOF is jokingly incomplete and just plain wrong. Wertham died soon thereafter

- Wertham basicly exonerated comics fans, saying in TWOF we turned out OK, energetic entrepreneurs, impressed with the industry demonstrated by all the fanzines then being published and all kinds of creativity contained therein.

For some to equate what i do as simply being a dealer of comics is rather disheartening, a little bit insulting, but i see where the arguments come from, and oh well, i thought i was a serious comics scholar these days what with the three history articles in OPG. history lessons if you were, on what i think i have honed into a succinct time line of how where when why the comic book industry was spawned in America beginning in 1842, and then how when where why that industry evolved over the next 164 years, i stop my coverage in OPG in the mid 1970s

All that serious research takes time & energy, and if i do not turn over stuff i buy, i have problems, and if i have problems, then the research time slows down, but that is just me, doing what i like to do, doing it full time,

I am entering a new phase in my life, as i cannot do all the shows i was doing, shleppin 8 tons of books when doing a show: 2 tons to load the van/trailer, 2 tons unload at show, 2 tons load back up, 2 tons unload the boxes back at the ranch.

I surely do not wish all the threads to be completely clogged with every dealer posting his/her wares and dampen the enthusiasm of posters showing off their books.

So, i will from time to time be posting stuff i get in here & there, and i wish very much i could afford to keep all the cool stuff which comes thru my hands. I do see a lot of transacting going on thru many threads, and rest assured, i will not be doing a lot of posting covers, as it is not much fun sitting at a scanner, making covers ready for web posting

I pick up a great many books because i i need stuff for certain research sub-projects of my larger macro-history, as i fill in jig saw puzzle pieces. I cannot afford to keep all my stuff.

We have had a great deal of fun discussing comics history on various threads mostly all in the GOLD - rather heated at times as passion for the art form and its people who brought such great entertainment to us are discussed.

Anyway, end of sermon, looking forward to seeing more Cheslers