• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

Not nearly as exciting as some of the ones that have been posted, but still a fun cover.

1426130-carnival1.jpg

I got a good laugh out of it!

Charlie Sultan, cover and interior art.

Great3.jpg

This comic came to mind last week, as I caught the movie "The Devil with Hitler" on TCM. I don't know if anyone out there has seen it, (I had never heard of it before) but it is absolutely hilarious. The Board of Directors of Hell (who knew?) decide the devil is not doing a good enough job, and are considering this Hitler fellow for the post. The Devil convinces them to let him go upstairs to see if Hitler is truly evil or if he could be tricked into doing a good deed. Thin on plot and effects, but bizarre and hilarious like a stereotype WW2 comic cover. It's got a little bit 3 Stooges stooges.gif and a little bit Marx brothers in it. Hitler takes a flying object up the *** not once, but twice. Check it out if you get a chance.

popcorn.gif

You're on to something there, CM...the Cocomalt does indeed "feel" like a Centaur.

Aren't those Fred Guardineer illos for the text story way cool (not to mention the awesome 'Dan Hastings' strip)?

STEVE

Yeah, it's got really strong interior work, both stories and art. Plus I love the 1930's pop culture references which always make me go straight to Google to learn more.

More on those, please popcorn.gif You know I'll do the Google work for you!

Here is one of the oversized Chesler with a wonderful Ryan cover.....It is the only Church copy I have of these early books...but it is neat seeing these oversized books in such condition and color...

1494630-star3.jpg

Holey Moley! I had no idea there were an over-sized issues! 893whatthe.gif

How big is it?

I consider those super-early "Cheslers" to be Centaurs, even though Harry put his name on them. There are maybe 9 oversized (magazine sized) issues of Star and Star Ranger (I don't have the precise list in front of me) from early 1937. Here's an oversized Star Ranger, for example, with art again by Ryan:

starranger2.jpg

Here is one of the oversized Chesler with a wonderful Ryan cover.....It is the only Church copy I have of these early books...but it is neat seeing these oversized books in such condition and color...

1494630-star3.jpg

Holey Moley! I had no idea there were an over-sized issues! 893whatthe.gif

How big is it?

Star Comics 1-6 and Star Ranger 1-6 are oversized....no ruler here but about 9x12....and pretty please they are pre-Centaurs at best. Centaur started cover dated March 1938 and merged these Chesler/Ultem titles together. While I lump them in my 'Centaur collection' from Comic Magazine 1 to CMO 2, they ain't all "Centaurs". This misnomer started years ago in Overstreet until I had enough copies to track down the editors and publishers in the indicia......and if your check out some funny picture stories those are all screwed up too!

My pet theory is that Amazing Man 5 continued its numbering from Western Picture Stories 4.....jb

Okay, we are gonna double our thread application here........An oddity that the third issue of this series that grew out of Silver Streak was a one shot publication by Harry Chesler.....and it is the "D" copy to boot!

1519106-captbattle3.jpg

Done by the amazing Gus Ricca, follow this link to the original art......

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

1519106-captbattle3.jpg.1d768095bc5b25ecf899594f5a148455.jpg

Wow, what a beauty!

Are there any Chesler completists out there?

here one be; brand new to the chesler run [3 months or so], but i've been all over ebay and hitting the aca's hard every sunday nite. having alot of fun with them--came down to them or centaurs and for whatever reason i went with the cheslers. i am giving some thought to arbitratily cutting the star rangers/star comics/feature funnies out of my quest. probably too impatient to pursue it for as long as those would take.

Wow, what a beauty!

Are there any Chesler completists out there?

here one be; brand new to the chesler run [3 months or so], but i've been all over ebay and hitting the aca's hard every sunday nite. having alot of fun with them--came down to them or centaurs and for whatever reason i went with the cheslers. i am giving some thought to arbitratily cutting the star rangers/star comics/feature funnies out of my quest. probably too impatient to pursue it for as long as those would take.

ACA's huh? so THAT's where you have been finding all those gems!

grin.gif