• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the grade? A 10-cent Superman...

12 posts in this topic

Greetings all. I have enjoyed these grading quizzes for a while now and thought I might post a book myself.

Picked up a small stack of original owner DC's yesterday including this Superman #148. If I know what I am doing with the UBB code (which I probably don't smile.gif ) here's a small pic to look at. I am also including links to scans that are 121K and 386K respectively for those who would like a closer look.

The URC has a very slight bend that curls it 1/16" off the scanner bed and makes the edge look a little off. It's actually nice and square, if not sharp.

Medium sized scan - 121K

Large Sized Scan - 386K

1034611448499_SUP148sm.jpg

And FYI.... this is headed to Sarasota in my next batch, so eventually we'll find out how we did...

Scary to think that my books see more sun and sand than I do...

Spine stress and the bend knock it down to 9.0-9.2? Although the light-colored spine hides them well, I see at least 7 spine stresses...a couple too many for a NM-, so 9.0 (front cover only) it is!

That's the "bend" I mention. From the description, it doesn't sound like there's a crease, so I think the sharp corner we're seeing is actually the back cover, and since the front bends, it sort of looks like there's a crease?

March onwards ye tracker of the numerical score, but first give us your guesstimate!! wink.gif