• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I even ask for a better pic???

59 posts in this topic

Sweet, this is like ding dong ditch when I was a kid.
um, not familiar with that. Care to explain?

I wonder if that phrase is local to Chicago. That's what I called it as a kid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's definetly a mid-west term. My girlfriend is from Minnesota, and is always talking about ding dong ditch when she was a kid....

Must be a midwest term (like "pop" for "soda"). Always knew what it was, but we always called it by a different name.

People don't call it pop elsewhere? confused.gif

Here is the best example of a geographic colloquialism I can think of. Ever play the drinking game where you are on teams and you go down the line, chug a beer or half beer out of a cup and then flip it from upside down to upright before the next person on your team can go? Every school seems to have their own name for it. My school called it "taps", but I have heard "tippy cups", "thunder cups" "flip cup", "flippy cup" and more, each from a different college. Weird how things like that happen.

I wonder if that phrase is local to Chicago. That's what I called it as a kid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's definetly a mid-west term. My girlfriend is from Minnesota, and is always talking about ding dong ditch when she was a kid....

Must be a midwest term (like "pop" for "soda"). Always knew what it was, but we always called it by a different name.

People don't call it pop elsewhere? confused.gif

Nope.

New Orleans has the most regional terms. Lagniappe, neutral ground, parish (instead of county) etc. And don't get me started on their pronounciation. Actually, Hawaii has quite a few as well.

There's website that shows the usage of different terms and pronounciations around the country. For example, sub sandwiches are called "grinders" in CT, RI, souther Mass.

Here is the best example of a geographic colloquialism I can think of. Ever play the drinking game where you are on teams and you go down the line, chug a beer or half beer out of a cup and then flip it from upside down to upright before the next person on your team can go? Every school seems to have their own name for it. My school called it "taps", but I have heard "tippy cups", "thunder cups" "flip cup", "flippy cup" and more, each from a different college. Weird how things like that happen.

People quaff copious quantities of alcohol and weird things happen. Never heard of that before. yeahok.gif

Nope.

New Orleans has the most regional terms. Lagniappe, neutral ground, parish (instead of county) etc. And don't get me started on their pronounciation. Actually, Hawaii has quite a few as well.

There's website that shows the usage of different terms and pronounciations around the country. For example, sub sandwiches are called "grinders" in CT, RI, souther Mass.

We have grinders in Illinois as well, but "sub" is much more common.

People quaff copious quantities of alcohol and weird things happen. Never heard of that before. yeahok.gif

Weird things did happen, but I was referring to the fact that each school seems to come up with its own name for the game.

But you knew that... poke2.gif

I grew up in the "pop" zone but have been in "soda" land for half my life now. I wonder what the "pop" range is?

Here's one for you guys. Ever play a brutal basketball game called tip?

It's like 21 except that if you shoot and miss someone can rebound your miss in the air and shoot it in themselves and you lose 3 points. An even more brutal version (appropriate for Michigan) is that if you tip it in with one hand it's minus 5 points.

And yes, you can go negative points.

Man, I loved that game as a teen and college student.

Marc

Why are you in comics general anyway? Mark my words and turn back before it's too late!

Slumming.

Here's the link for dialect differences.

Dialects in the US

Ding Dong Ditch was the game you use to play when you were a kid....you and some friends go thru your neighborhood under the cover of night and ring the doorbell and run away. We called it "Ring and Run". The are also other, less flattering names for said game.

When I was a kid (in Winnipeg) we called it "Knock on Ginger" . . . don't know why, but all the kids knew it by that name.

We called it Nicky Nicky Nine doors!

Donr kwow why either

Nicky Nicky Nine Door thumbsup2.gif

The youth of today play a different game. They ring the bell...wait for you to open the door...then rush inside.

They call it "HOME INVASION" insane.gif

Ding Dong Ditch was the game you use to play when you were a kid....you and some friends go thru your neighborhood under the cover of night and ring the doorbell and run away. We called it "Ring and Run". The are also other, less flattering names for said game.

When I was a kid (in Winnipeg) we called it "Knock on Ginger" . . . don't know why, but all the kids knew it by that name.

Donr kwow why either

The youth of today play a different game. They ring the bell...wait for you to open the door...then rush inside.

Funny, i'm from Toronto and i called it Nicky Nicky Nine Door as well.

As far as I ever knew, the reasoning behind the second part of the name at least was that two or three guys would ring nine houses at once, and laugh as all the neighbors came groggily out together at 2am.

Interesting. When I was growing up, it was Knock Knock Ginger. Usually took place once enough people had left the game of Dark Hide and Seek to end it.

On topic: The seller sucks. You got the answer you really needed. No. (the question being, "Should I buy from you?")

Growing up in Southern Cali we had ding dong ditch, soda (pop? just weird), grinders (didn't become subs until that god forsaken Subway arrived).

Here in arizona they can't agree on anything in the same state. Take Taquito's. That's what every other state seems to call them, but here they're either rolled taco's or flautas. Half the people here call quesadilla's the cheese crisp. I realize they are mexican dishes, but there should be some kind of consensus this close to the border.

Here's a question... is it kitty-corner or catty-corner?

Interesting. When I was growing up, it was Knock Knock Ginger. Usually took place once enough people had left the game of Dark Hide and Seek to end it.

In London it was Knock Down Ginger. Happy days. cloud9.gif

Flip Cup thumbsup2.gif

"On topic: The seller sucks. You got the answer you really needed. No. (the question being, "Should I buy from you?")

Should you buy from me? Or should I ask ask if I should buy from him? Lost me, sorry.

Should I buy from him, Heck NO. Should you buy from me? Probably not. I don't trust me nor do I like myslef. Avoid anything I have at all costs.

Donr kwow why either

Funny, i'm from Toronto and i called it Nicky Nicky Nine Door as well.

As far as I ever knew, the reasoning behind the second part of the name at least was that two or three guys would ring nine houses at once, and laugh as all the neighbors came groggily out together at 2am.

I have never heard of Ding Dong Ditch or Nicky Nicky Nine Door or Knock on Ginger. I've grown up in Missouri all my life and sadly it was always called something very derogatory here. I assume it's changed now and I don't know what term kids here use today. As a kid, I didn't even know it was a bad term we were using. blush.gif

We do use "Pop" here in Missouri. To this day, when friends come over, they ask if they can have a "Pop".

Another thing we do in Missouri is say 40 Highway instead of Highway 40. We\always say the number first. I recently discovered that not all regions do this.

Flip Cup thumbsup2.gif

We called it "Flip Cup" also.