• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I even ask for a better pic???

59 posts in this topic

I grew up in the "pop" zone but have been in "soda" land for half my life now. I wonder what the "pop" range is?

Here's one for you guys. Ever play a brutal basketball game called tip?

It's like 21 except that if you shoot and miss someone can rebound your miss in the air and shoot it in themselves and you lose 3 points. An even more brutal version (appropriate for Michigan) is that if you tip it in with one hand it's minus 5 points.

And yes, you can go negative points.

Man, I loved that game as a teen and college student.

Marc

We played that as well. We called it "21 - Tap Backs". Most of the time, we played tap back to zero, so if you had 19 and missed shot you could be tapped back to zero and have to start over.

Sweet, this is like ding dong ditch when I was a kid.
um, not familiar with that. Care to explain?

Ding Dong Ditch was the game you use to play when you were a kid....you and some friends go thru your neighborhood under the cover of night and ring the doorbell and run away. We called it "Ring and Run". The are also other, less flattering names for said game.

When I was a kid (in Winnipeg) we called it "Knock on Ginger" . . . don't know why, but all the kids knew it by that name.

We called it Nicky Nicky Nine doors!

Donr kwow why either

Nicky Nicky Nine Door thumbsup2.gif

The youth of today play a different game. They ring the bell...wait for you to open the door...then rush inside.

They call it "HOME INVASION" insane.gif

Funny, i'm from Toronto and i called it Nicky Nicky Nine Door as well.

As far as I ever knew, the reasoning behind the second part of the name at least was that two or three guys would ring nine houses at once, and laugh as all the neighbors came groggily out together at 2am.

I have never heard of Ding Dong Ditch or Nicky Nicky Nine Door or Knock on Ginger. I've grown up in Missouri all my life and sadly it was always called something very derogatory here. I assume it's changed now and I don't know what term kids here use today. As a kid, I didn't even know it was a bad term we were using. blush.gif

We do use "Pop" here in Missouri. To this day, when friends come over, they ask if they can have a "Pop".

Another thing we do in Missouri is say 40 Highway instead of Highway 40. We\always say the number first. I recently discovered that not all regions do this.

In Toronto, it'd be noticably weird if someone said soda. Pop is the term here.

Here is the best example of a geographic colloquialism I can think of. Ever play the drinking game where you are on teams and you go down the line, chug a beer or half beer out of a cup and then flip it from upside down to upright before the next person on your team can go? Every school seems to have their own name for it. My school called it "taps", but I have heard "tippy cups", "thunder cups" "flip cup", "flippy cup" and more, each from a different college. Weird how things like that happen.

Flip Cup thumbsup2.gif

We called it "Flip Cup" also.

we called it "anchorman," but i wonder if it's the same game. in anchorman, you filled up a large mug with anywhere from 2-4 beers. usually we played with 2 teams of 3 each. the goal was the first person on a team drank - without stopping - until he couldn't anymore, then he'd pass the mug to the next guy who did the same. the last man on the team was the "anchorman," and if he couldn't finish the mug off, it was refilled and that team had to go again.

cloud9.gif

of course, the only time i can remember a team not being able to finish was when we used something like Beck's Dark or some other heavy brew. oh, and the time we put a sixpack in the mug for a 3 person team.

good times, good times

Growing up in NYC we called it Ring and Run cloud9.gif I went to school in Oklahoma and was confused on what the hell "pop" was.. they also made fun of me for "soda". Another thing was "tennis shoes" and what I know them to be "sneakers". Oh yeah one more, "billfold" and what I know "wallet".

Its quite weird and comical!!! cool.gif

"On topic: The seller sucks. You got the answer you really needed. No. (the question being, "Should I buy from you?")

Should you buy from me? Or should I ask ask if I should buy from him? Lost me, sorry.

Should I buy from him, Heck NO. Should you buy from me? Probably not. I don't trust me nor do I like myslef. Avoid anything I have at all costs.

Sorry. You actually asked him for a better picture, but the question he answered was "Should I buy from you?" I think some people defended you when others were confusing you with nopimps/nopinups, so you're probably a good seller. flowerred.gif

Now, since we've established that connerly2006 sucks, lets get back to the real discussion about regional terms for doorbell pranks and soft drinks.

We do use "Pop" here in Missouri. To this day, when friends come over, they ask if they can have a "Pop".
And in southern Missouri we usually refer to any drink as a COKE. Even if it's a pepsi. Around here Soda means Baking soda.

Another thing we do in Missouri is say 40 Highway instead of Highway 40. We\always say the number first.
Yes. Never thought about it but yeah. Numbers first and usually only numbers.

Ever play the drinking game where you are on teams and you go down the line, chug a beer or half beer out of a cup and then flip it from upside down to upright before the next person on your team can go?

Uh . . . no. yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif

I ask for a better picture. He has two books that interest me. His first reply was: "NO" and that's it, just "NO"... Here is his reply to my second picture request on another book:

"if you want get it ok i dont e mail pics or blow up pics ok im to bussy for that if you dont want it fine but belive me it will sell its cheep for a #70"

Feedback of 40+ , tiny pictures and a bad attitude, nice recipe for disaster. Here is my reply:

"Thanks its always a pleasure to converse with ebay sellers such as yourself. Your superior feedback and tiny pictures make me want to buy everything you have for sale. Lets not forget your great customer service skills. I especially enjoyed the NO repsonse. Direct and to the point.

Take care.

I need everyone (with time and a mean streak) to ask this guy for a better pic or ask about tape, page quality, heck ask about the soup of the day. I would love to hear his other responses....

Link

Hi, can you email me a better picture of this item? The picture in the auction is too small. Also, I can't see the back cover. Why are your pictures so small? What don't you want us to see?

acclaim.gif

Thank god someone knows what I'm talking about. Tapped back to zero is pretty brutal. It reminds me that if you missed your free throw for 21 you'd go to 15. Maybe 21 is played the same way.

In Michigan we usually just used numbers for highways but we'd never say 131 highway. If it was an interstate we'd say the I half the time, ie "I-94" and the other half it would just be "94."

Marc

Here is the best example of a geographic colloquialism I can think of. Ever play the drinking game where you are on teams and you go down the line, chug a beer or half beer out of a cup and then flip it from upside down to upright before the next person on your team can go? Every school seems to have their own name for it. My school called it "taps", but I have heard "tippy cups", "thunder cups" "flip cup", "flippy cup" and more, each from a different college. Weird how things like that happen.

Flip Cup thumbsup2.gif

We called it "Flip Cup" also.

we called it "anchorman," but i wonder if it's the same game. in anchorman, you filled up a large mug with anywhere from 2-4 beers. usually we played with 2 teams of 3 each. the goal was the first person on a team drank - without stopping - until he couldn't anymore, then he'd pass the mug to the next guy who did the same. the last man on the team was the "anchorman," and if he couldn't finish the mug off, it was refilled and that team had to go again.

cloud9.gif

of course, the only time i can remember a team not being able to finish was when we used something like Beck's Dark or some other heavy brew. oh, and the time we put a sixpack in the mug for a 3 person team.

good times, good times

No, that's a different game, but the last person on a taps team is called an anchorman. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ever play the drinking game where you are on teams and you go down the line, chug a beer or half beer out of a cup and then flip it from upside down to upright before the next person on your team can go?

Uh . . . no. yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif

You were one of those "study on a friday night" people, eh? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Must be a midwest term (like "pop" for "soda"). Always knew what it was, but we always called it by a different name.

Gorwing up in the Boston area we called in "tonic".

In? popcorn.gif

Doesn't look like a VF/NM even with the cropped scan. upper right corner chip....

Well... with 5 hours to go, nobody... nobody at all... has bid on any of his books 27_laughing.gif

That is what scum like that deserves..

I asked him if he could provide closeups of some of the corners .... no reply.. will probably get a nicely spelled polite letter like you did, oh well... i can live without EVER doing business wiht him...

There's website that shows the usage of different terms and pronounciations around the country. For example, sub sandwiches are called "grinders" in CT, RI, southern Mass.

And if you want to buy any hard liquor, you have to go to a Package store ("The Packy"). But you'd better stock up, the Packies are closed on Sunday in CT! makepoint.gif

I have never heard of Ding Dong Ditch or Nicky Nicky Nine Door or Knock on Ginger. I've grown up in Missouri all my life and sadly it was always called something very derogatory here.

1425830-racist.gif

We called it that too. gossip.gif

1425830-racist.gif.4c22aa45a7a61a6bfbb7da41a7997042.gif

Sweet, this is like ding dong ditch when I was a kid.
um, not familiar with that. Care to explain?

Ding Dong Ditch was the game you use to play when you were a kid....you and some friends go thru your neighborhood under the cover of night and ring the doorbell and run away. We called it "Ring and Run". The are also other, less flattering names for said game.

It was called Ding Dong Ditch'em in my area.

I have never heard of Ding Dong Ditch or Nicky Nicky Nine Door or Knock on Ginger. I've grown up in Missouri all my life and sadly it was always called something very derogatory here.

I grew up in SC and GA. I have a feeling we used the same word. And I only notice the pop thing when I visit relatives in Chicago. Down here we say "coke". You might get an occasional "Is Pepsi ok?", but that's about it.