• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Modern set 2003-2006!

42 posts in this topic

I am a little out of track with the modern market, as its been a while since i have read any other modern books than my X-men

But in my next comic shipment i thought of getting some nice moderns (trades if available) for reading pleasures , not collecting.

So my question to all you modern gurus is: what is The best set/run/series /mine/ trade (whatever really) that has been published between 2003-2006?? confused-smiley-013.gif

It could be anything, but some independents or some Vertigo / Image would probably be preferred... if there really is a modern Marvel run that is so great and i have missed it, pls point it out to me makepoint.gif

So what would be your verdict?

Im listening.... poke2.gif

Daredevil from Marvel, Walking Dead from Image and Superman/Batman from DC thumbsup2.gif

You mean the DD volume two with the Marvel knight imprint that started in 98?

sorry but im no good on knowledge of comics after 1988 sorry.gif

Walkind dead from image sound interisting, think i have heard it should be great before, do i just pick up number one or is there a trade? and how many issues in the run..?

A few good runs that I enjoyed over the past 3 years

Jonah Hex series

JLA

30 days of nights (vol1)

The authority vol1

Tangled web #4

Wolverine "Origin" mini series

Conan

DC Identity crisis was decent

Usagi Yojimbo has been solid the past few years

The walking dead

DD

New Avengers

Fables

Daredevil from Marvel, Walking Dead from Image and Superman/Batman from DC thumbsup2.gif

You mean the DD volume two with the Marvel knight imprint that started in 98?

sorry but im no good on knowledge of comics after 1988 sorry.gif

Walkind dead from image sound interisting, think i have heard it should be great before, do i just pick up number one or is there a trade? and how many issues in the run..?

If you want Walking Dead to read I would pick up the trade, #1 alone goes for around 100 bucks alone, never read it but heard very good things about it..

Ultimates vol 1 and 2 (Marvel's "Ultimate Avengers")

WE3 (Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely)

Y the Last Man (Vertigo)

Green Lantern: Rebirth miniseries (if you like GL)

Dont all come yelling at once... keep in line grin.gif

bumpit.gif

Yeah, because everyone's up at 5:30 Sunday morning reading the CGC boards...

As for Daredevil I think he meant the Bendis/Maleev run. Bendis did #16-19, which are good but not indispensible. Then he started again with Alex Maleev doing great art around #26 or #28, and they went up through #85 or so. David Mack did #51-56, which I have but haven't read, and many people skip it. It was taken over after Bendis by Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark, and hasn't missed a beat.

Probably the titles most commonly recommended on this board are:

Y The Last Man

Fables

The Goon

Walking Dead

Invicible

Bendis Daredevil

Powers

Conan

Grant Morrison's X-Men run

All-Star Superman

Identity Crisis

WE3

Planetary

Authority (volume 1)

Marvel Zombies

Civil War

The Boys

I'd also add

Alias (the Bendis series, complete series available in one big Omnibus book)

Sleeper, both series (and the new book Criminal by the same guys)

Wimbledon Green, The World's Greatest Comic Book Collector (graphic novel)

Box Office Poison

Love & Rockets (and associated books, still going strong)

Queen and Country

Top 10

Any Hellboy done by Mignola, but BPRD I can take or leave

DC The New Frontier (an Absolute Edition is due any day)

Bruce Jones's run on Hulk

The "Planet Hulk" storyling currently ongoing

You can get a $30 hardcover of Walking Dead that covers quite a few more issues than the standard TPB. Same with Invincible.

Someone else referred to the Omnibus version for Walking Dead, but it's a bit too expensive. That hardcover version is definitely the way to go in maximizing the number of issues, keeping price down, and getting a solid looking book.

Y: The Last Man is a solid pick-up too. If you get Fables, many people are 50-50 on the first arc versus the second arc. They are pretty different. So, don't give up based on one or the other. A very solid book.

I know it's not 2003-2006, but try Proposition Player (I think 1999). Just comedy and completely different.

Pat

My favorites of late:

Astonishing X-Men (read New X-Men first)

Fell by Warren Ellis, published by Image

Planetary by Ellis and John Cassaday

If you like crime stories, Ed Brubaker's "Criminal" issue #1 just came out this week and is quite good.

I've heard lots of good things about Brubaker's runs on Daredevil and Captain America.

-Modern Bob