• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

sorry if I just had a little freak out, but WHAT!?!?!?!? This is blowing my mind. big time. I just don't get it. sorry. I love the book, but seriously, WTF?!?! Have we gotten so used to crazy prices that this isn't dawning on anyone as insane? rantrant over

Yes...and not sustainable...

Jim

of course it's not sustainable. The early GA Tarzan & Prince Valiant comics aren't what they used to be either. The perfect storm of Nostalgia, artist & perceived scarcity in grade might seem right now, but just look 10 years into the future. doh! I am still stunned by this.

I'm stunned by alot of the current prices. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't think these hyperinflated auction wins are good for the hobby and I see bad times a comin'...

Jim

What do you see as the catalyst for the "bad times?"

Hyperinflated prices for perceived "hot" comics. We've been discussing this issue for a couple years now...and HG copies do seem to be difficult compared to surrounding issues. Regardless, there are ALOT of copies of this issue out there. Seems like every other dealer you go to at cons has a copy, maybe not Ultra HG but a higer grade copy nonetheless, and the frenzy for THE HG copy will abate over time.

To answer your question though, the hyperinflated auction prices we are seeing currently aren't sustainable. The catayst will be the issue that defies all logic, we may be there soon, that causes most collectors to see the crazy run-up that has occurred. Once that happens, the Comiclink, and name your auction website, sell-off will occur and drive all comics down with it.

It'll be quicker than the 90s crash when it occurs as more info will be out there for people to bail then was in place during the 90s crash...

Jim

I dunno why everyone's so focused on discussing ultra high grade copies of this book when demand is very strong across all grades.

At the Hobbystar show this weekend in Toronto, I know of one dealer that sold a half dozen F to VF copies for over guide to another dealer before the show opened. The dealer that purchased the copies told me he had buyers already lined up for all of them!

Man, this is one hot book (worship)

GL 76 HG 9.4 is like what I stated a while back and got everyone mad on the post, people on here panic over it too much. It is with any key/blue-chip it is a game of either musical chairs or hot potato. When (selling/buying) music ends you see who is left standing and not in the game any more because they didn't invest in a copy and sell at the right time or you got those who got burned because they are holding a book that lost demand over panic/ here say and can't sell it for what they put into it. rantrant

I'm a true collector and I buy what I like or try get a nice copy of a book that people say has a real good story or art and if lucky both. If you are buying this book or any other book just for the number label or major profit then I hope of the listed above happens to you. A true collector will buy a low grade CGC just to own a copy or a nice reader copy so they can enjoy the content of the book with out needs to resubmit everytime. You go to cons or ebay and you will see the mass sales of these books from true collectors or people trying to get in to our hobby. :blahblah:

Well, I will be waiting now for all the bad replies (r1970d ;) )I will get from my out going type of posting. :preach:

I know that, I do, but I just had a moment of clarity. It freaked me out a bit. Not to sound like an old timer (Because I'm not, I'm 35) , but when I started collecting, this price got you a supes #1 in VF. I know times change, and condition scarcity and all that, but good god, it's GL76 in NM!!!!

Again I apologize, it just hit me as nuts all of a sudden, that's all.

But this should not be a surprise. Superman #1 is so 1940s zzz storywise and has crappy artwork compared to GL #76.

:jokealert:

I'm stunned by alot of the current prices. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't think these hyperinflated auction wins are good for the hobby and I see bad times a comin'...

Jim

What do you see as the catalyst for the "bad times?"

Hyperinflated prices for perceived "hot" comics. We've been discussing this issue for a couple years now...and HG copies do seem to be difficult compared to surrounding issues. Regardless, there are ALOT of copies of this issue out there. Seems like every other dealer you go to at cons has a copy, maybe not Ultra HG but a higer grade copy nonetheless, and the frenzy for THE HG copy will abate over time.

To answer your question though, the hyperinflated auction prices we are seeing currently aren't sustainable. The catayst will be the issue that defies all logic, we may be there soon, that causes most collectors to see the crazy run-up that has occurred. Once that happens, the Comiclink, and name your auction website, sell-off will occur and drive all comics down with it.

It'll be quicker than the 90s crash when it occurs as more info will be out there for people to bail then was in place during the 90s crash...

Jim

I'm not disagreeing that some of the prices we've been seeing lately have been astounding, and I personally wouldn't pull the trigger at those prices.

But of course, you realize that I could pull up threads from almost every year that these Boards have been around, saying more or less what you just posted above. Even excluding posts by JC. I can also recollect conversations like this from almost the entire 30+ years that I've been collecting comics. And I'm STILL waiting for comics to get cheaper.

I wonder why no one has pulled the trigger on the GL #76 listed on Comiclink for only 10K and it has white pages and only a slight miswrap?

Slight miswrap makes all the difference in the world.

I wonder why no one has pulled the trigger on the GL #76 listed on Comiclink for only 10K and it has white pages and only a slight miswrap?

Slight miswrap makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah, I have to agree. Even that slight miswrap makes a difference of thousands of dollars on that book in 9.4. Still pretty though :cloud9:

GL 76 HG 9.4 is like what I stated a while back and got everyone mad on the post, people on here panic over it too much. It is with any key/blue-chip it is a game of either musical chairs or hot potato. When (selling/buying) music ends you see who is left standing and not in the game any more because they didn't invest in a copy and sell at the right time or you got those who got burned because they are holding a book that lost demand over panic/ here say and can't sell it for what they put into it. rantrant

I'm a true collector and I buy what I like or try get a nice copy of a book that people say has a real good story or art and if lucky both. If you are buying this book or any other book just for the number label or major profit then I hope of the listed above happens to you. A true collector will buy a low grade CGC just to own a copy or a nice reader copy so they can enjoy the content of the book with out needs to resubmit everytime. You go to cons or ebay and you will see the mass sales of these books from true collectors or people trying to get in to our hobby. :blahblah:

Well, I will be waiting now for all the bad replies (r1970d ;) )I will get from my out going type of posting. :preach:

thanks for defining "true collector" for all the uninformed here. you da man, mr webster. now go back to making idiotic jokes about green lanterns- the kind that light. the letterman show is calling.

thanks for defining "true collector" for all the uninformed here. you da man, mr webster. now go back to making idiotic jokes about green lanterns- the kind that light. the letterman show is calling.

webster.jpg

Late Marvin Webster?

I'm here because a fellow boardie told me I was being called out.

A little history...Keldog made a post a few months ago about high grade GL 76 selling prices. I offered a rebuttel disagreeing.

A few weeks ago Keldog and I sat across from each other at the CGC forum dinner in Chicago.

I did not put the face to the name to the posts until now.

What I should have done is reached across the table and clocked him one in Chicago.

:jokealert:

Actually, looking back that might not have been since a good idea since he's a marine.

lol

Seriously, people get heated all the time on topics like this. Collector vs. Investor.

There are enough nice copies of this book around that you can still find one in reasonable shape (VF or so) for a few hundred bucks.

Someone obviously wanted a well centered 9.4 with white pages.

Hope they enjoy it.

(thumbs u