• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

3 or 4 years ago, Metro offered me a 9.4 for $2500. I went on and on about crazy the price was. Who's crazy now?

okay, I feel a little better, but mot much...

The history of comic collecting is littered with stories like that. I remember when Ewert`s 9.6 GL 76 failed to meet reserve on eBay, at around $6K if I remember correctly. I was stunned that anyone would turn down bids in the $5K range for a 9.6 BA book. Who knew (except for Joe Serpico)? (shrug)

3 or 4 years ago, Metro offered me a 9.4 for $2500. I went on and on about crazy the price was. Who's crazy now?

The history of comic collecting is littered with stories like that. I remember when Ewert`s 9.6 GL 76 failed to meet reserve on eBay, at around $6K if I remember correctly. I was stunned that anyone would turn down bids in the $5K range for a 9.6 BA book. Who knew (except for Joe Serpico)? (shrug)

Whoa,

Are you saying the lone GL #76 in 9.6 was owned by Jason Ewert and therefore is suspect as a micro-trimmed comic??!!! This is the same copy that sold for 30K+ on comic-connect??!! :gossip:

Whoa,

Are you saying the lone GL #76 in 9.6 was owned by Jason Ewert and therefore is suspect as a micro-trimmed comic??!!! This is the same copy that sold for 30K+ on comic-connect??!! :gossip:

It was re-checked and re-grade by CGC by the person who bought it from Ewert. CGC was informed of where it came from and to look for anything suspicious.

(thumbs u

GreenLantern76CGC92ow-wp.jpg

here is the one I sold about two years ago. Who has it and would you sell it back?

(shrug)

I'm actually surprised you would sell it in the first place... I missed out on a sig series 9.2 in '06 that sold for around 1300 I think, when my significantly higher bid didn't go through in time...I was so upset....I'm quite happy with my copy without the writing on the cover now though..

The 9.2 on CLink is already at 2500 with 12 days to go...

Sure hope it sets a new high. :wishluck:

I think it has a good chance with the WP...but with the other one being in an old label the buyer might have been hoping to press it up to a 9.4, and it had a nice centering...

Whoa,

It was re-checked and re-grade by CGC by the person who bought it from Ewert. CGC was informed of where it came from and to look for anything suspicious.

(thumbs u

It's still tainted in my opinion due to the lineage. How can it not be considering the difficulty CGC has demonstratedly had in detecting trimming?

Everytime I try to reconcile CGC's ability to accurately detect trimming, I can't shake the image of Dad's Tomahawk paper cutter trim job that got through undetected...

Jim

I'm sure there is the possiblity, but they (cgc) specifically said they had figured out a way to detect the micro trimming that was used on those Ewert books that originally got through..even with cgc knowing that it was an Ewert book I'm sure they scrutinized over it even more so...

Whoa,

(thumbs u

It's still tainted in my opinion due to the lineage. How can it not be considering the difficulty CGC has demonstratedly had in detecting trimming?

Everytime I try to reconcile CGC's ability to accurately detect trimming, I can't shake the image of Dad's Tomahawk paper cutter trim job that got through undetected...

Jim

That it sold for 30.5k at the time seems to indicate it is one of those cases where if a tree falls but no one is around to hear it...

That it sold for 30.5k at the time seems to indicate it is one of those cases where if a tree falls but no one is around to hear it...

Good point, Hedge Collector. If you ask the majority of collectors at a show they would have no idea who Ewert was or what he did.

please enlighten us noobs to the hobby

Drop, Tim (tth2) a line. He likes helping out noobs. :baiting:

To make a long story short - he was nailed for micro trimming (and likely pressing and dry cleaning) books that came back from CGC with blue labels instead of PLODs. If I recall correctly, it was some board members that caught him and notified CGC who could/did not detect the trimming when grading the books. There were some accusations about his ties to other prominent scammers (and prominent players) in the game, and CGC ended up offering a free check up and then buy back of any trimmed books afterwards (does anyone know how many they actually bought back?). Needless to say we will probably never know how many of the top census books that passed through his hands were trimmed or doctored with in some way or another.

New Census Report:

Another GL 76 9.6 has been added as of the new census 10/12/09.

That makes 2...

Oh boy! 9.2's and 9.4's are about to become more affordable.

I'll take two!!

:banana: