• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

New Census Report:

Another GL 76 9.6 has been added as of the new census 10/12/09.

That makes 2...

Oh boy! 9.2's and 9.4's are about to become more affordable.

I'll take two!!

:banana:

Would you settle for an 8.5 W?

New Census Report:

That makes 2...

I'll take two!!

hm I don't think so.....you could post it for show.... :baiting: '''''

New Census Report:

That makes 2...

I'll take two!!

hm I don't think so.....you could post it for show.... :baiting: '''''

No scanner for CGC books. :shy:

New Census Report:

That makes 2...

I'll take two!!

I guess someone made a good investment last year in one of those 9.4's...how much do you think the prices will drop?

New Census Report:

That makes 2...

I'll take two!!

I guess someone made a good investment last year in one of those 9.4's...how much do you think the prices will drop?

I do this with every book I buy, I try to value it based on similar books. Many times the market values the book differntly until the mass hysteria leaves and then, all of the sudden things seem right. Eventually there will be 5 9.6's and many 9.4's on the census. If we ever see a 9.8 you can compare it to Hulh 181 in 9.9. So my valuation is more of what the future will give it rather than what the current craze gives it. I don't have the money to chase crazes, so I have to use that basis and buy on value. Just like stocks.

So....GL76....very very key book, Batman 227 (hate to say, just a cover)....Tec 400 (nice cover, 1st appearance).....in 9.6 are $3000 to $4000 books, pretty steady. Batman 232 and 251 are already plentiful, their prices have peaked for the most part. Batman 234 has settled in nicely. This book, GL76 will always be more rare than any Batman. This book will always be more key than the above two books for many obvious reasons. For me the comparison will always be 9.4's are like 9.6's of others and I'll always compare this book to Hulk 181. Eventually, 9.4's will settle at $7,000.0 to $9,000.0 I'll go really out on a ledge and say, some day you could use a 1.2 multiplier of a Hulk 181 in 9.6 price to figure out what this should be priced at in 9.4.

Mind you, you have to remove emotion from the equation, don't tell me Hulk is this or Wolverine is the ultimate, blaa blaa blaa. Jonah Hex has a movie coming....if you want to chase, go ahead. If you want to be able to buy something that should be properly valued, you have to come at a different angle.

BB&T was a great bank even when dragged down by the surrounding debris, but you had to remove emotion and fear of the media, the market and the idea that all things are similar. Clearly, all banks are not alike. And I was buying on the way down and the way up.

Centered, well cut issues will be a 1.5 premium. I know, they are for me, but that is across the board, any book. Pedigrees are too. If there are 20 9.4's, there will be far less that are pedigrees....always special.

I could be wrong.

okay, let the games begin.....

:tonofbricks:

New Census Report:

That makes 2...

Funny how a $35K sales price of a BA book will drive more copies out of the woodworks. hm

For me the comparison will always be 9.4's are like 9.6's of others and I'll always compare this book to Hulk 181.

Right now, GL 76 is so wacky that a 9.4 copy equals a 9.8 Hulk 181.

"we" (collective) kinda pumped this book up. But, I don't think any of us to see this kind of craziness.

The funny thing is, I doubt that it is board members who have paid the big $$$ for this book recently. We are not the only ones chasing it, and my guess is that there are plenty of big $$$ Neal Adams collectors who want a 9.4 or 9.6 copy that we are not aware of.

The funny thing is, I doubt that it is board members who have paid the big $$$ for this book recently. We are not the only ones chasing it, and my guess is that there are plenty of big $$$ Neal Adams collectors who want a 9.4 or 9.6 copy that we are not aware of.

Of all the exorbitant prices paid for not just the GL 76 9.6, but for all the other HG Spideys, Avengers, FFs, etc. - has there ever been a board member that has stood up and said "That was me! I paid that outrageous price!"

In all the crazy price threads of all the crazy price books, I find it interesting that no one has ever claimed to be that particular buyer.

Is it just to stay anonymous?

Another 9.6 probably means we wont see another 30K+ 9.6 sale, but I don't see this high grade money train toppling like a house of cards just yet. I doubt we will see any price drop in 9.4/9.2 pricing in the foreseeable future, maybe even a modest increase. Like Dover has mentioned, eventually prices will stabilize even on this book in the high grades, but with movie hype, and new high grade speculators flocking to comics in droves and this book in particular, it seems demand is still far exceeding supply in 9.2+.

Of all the exorbitant prices paid for not just the GL 76 9.6, but for all the other HG Spideys, Avengers, FFs, etc. - has there ever been a board member that has stood up and said "That was me! I paid that outrageous price!"

In all the crazy price threads of all the crazy price books, I find it interesting that no one has ever claimed to be that particular buyer.

Considering the abuse that gets directed on these boards towards the buyer of any book that sells for a "quantum leap" price, does this really surprise you?

Another 9.6 probably means we wont see another 30K+ 9.6 sale, but I don't see this high grade money train toppling like a house of cards just yet. I doubt we will see any price drop in 9.4/9.2 pricing in the foreseeable future, maybe even a modest increase. Like Dover has mentioned, eventually prices will stabilize even on this book in the high grades, but with movie hype, and new high grade speculators flocking to comics in droves and this book in particular, it seems demand is still far exceeding supply in 9.2+.

I'm willing to take that bet that the 9.6 will sell over $30.5k. It seems extremely probable to me.

I don't know how you can say otherwise. The demand can easy soak several 9.6s without hurting the price... for now.

I'm willing to take that bet that the 9.6 will sell over $30.5k. It seems extremely probable to me.

I don't know how you can say otherwise. The demand can easy soak several 9.6s without hurting the price... for now.

I will change my post somewhat and say "assuming that the other 9.6s are of similar cut and eye appeal."

I could see a person having no problem paying over $30.5k for a 9.6 of similar cut, but I could also see a person having a very hard time paying the matching $30.5k for a horrid 9.6 miswrap.

Considering the abuse that gets directed on these boards towards the buyer of any book that sells for a "quantum leap" price, does this really surprise you?

Just curious as to whether it is the case that many of the high bid winners are part of this board and just choosing to stay anonymous about their winnings or that the high bid winners simply aren't part of this board at all.

+1

especially in tough economic times