• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

Just curious as to whether it is the case that many of the high bid winners are part of this board and just choosing to stay anonymous about their winnings or that the high bid winners simply aren't part of this board at all.

I think most high bid winners are NOT part of this board.

But there are a few market makers in various niches of our hobby who are regulars here.

The funny thing is, I doubt that it is board members who have paid the big $$$ for this book recently. We are not the only ones chasing it, and my guess is that there are plenty of big $$$ Neal Adams collectors who want a 9.4 or 9.6 copy that we are not aware of.

Of all the exorbitant prices paid for not just the GL 76 9.6, but for all the other HG Spideys, Avengers, FFs, etc. - has there ever been a board member that has stood up and said "That was me! I paid that outrageous price!"

In all the crazy price threads of all the crazy price books, I find it interesting that no one has ever claimed to be that particular buyer.

Is it just to stay anonymous?

As Tim stated above, most of the big spenders are not frequent (if at all) board members, except for some of the GA crowd. (thumbs u

The difference with the GA crowd is that they do not mind posting their record price purchases either! lol

Doug Schmell told me that the new 9.6 is his and will be in his next auction.

That should draw some eyes to his site....

The November grand auction?

(thumbs u

Another 9.6 probably means we wont see another 30K+ 9.6 sale, but I don't see this high grade money train toppling like a house of cards just yet. I doubt we will see any price drop in 9.4/9.2 pricing in the foreseeable future, maybe even a modest increase. Like Dover has mentioned, eventually prices will stabilize even on this book in the high grades, but with movie hype, and new high grade speculators flocking to comics in droves and this book in particular, it seems demand is still far exceeding supply in 9.2+.

I'm willing to take that bet that the 9.6 will sell over $30.5k. It seems extremely probable to me.

I don't know how you can say otherwise. The demand can easy soak several 9.6s without hurting the price... for now.

I will change my post somewhat and say "assuming that the other 9.6s are of similar cut and eye appeal."

I could see a person having no problem paying over $30.5k for a 9.6 of similar cut, but I could also see a person having a very hard time paying the matching $30.5k for a horrid 9.6 miswrap.

I agree that even a minor miscut can and will hurt the price, but I still think even a comparable looking copy will suffer now that it is not the single highest graded copy. We will see. :whee:

I would be flabbergasted if a 2nd 9.6 copy reached $30K again, but then again, I've been flabbergasted a lot lately.

Look at it this way.

When the 9.6 sold for $30k, a 9.4 then sold for $10k.

A 9.4 just sold for $18k. So why would it surprise anyone that a 9.6 would now sell for over $30k?

It most likely will unless there is a noticeable difference in the presentation.

I would be flabbergasted if a 2nd 9.6 copy reached $30K again, but then again, I've been flabbergasted a lot lately.

Look at it this way.

A 9.4 just sold for $18k. So why would it surprise anyone that a 9.6 would now sell for over $30k?

It most likely will unless there is a noticeable difference in the presentation.

Hedge, I haven't heard you comment on the fact that the next buyer will no longer be able to claim ownership to the single best certified copy. You don't think that will factor in the price realized?

Look at it this way.

guess we'll all find out in a month.

Look at it this way.

Hedge, I haven't heard you comment on the fact that the next buyer will no longer be able to claim ownership to the single best certified copy. You don't think that will factor in the price realized?

I do think that it will be factor into the final price realized. I didn't comment on it because I don't think it will make a difference in preventing the price from exceeding the previous selling price.

I'm eager to see the cut and PQ on the new 9.6 because I think that is what will make the biggest difference.

Look at it this way.

and now a 9.4 just sold for $8700- how does that affect your thinking?

Look at it this way.

and now a 9.4 just sold for $8700- how does that affect your thinking?

I will say that with an ow/w with a miswrap, I'm not surprised. 9.4 whites with better wraps have been appearing in every auction, so when a fairly inferior one comes along, I guess this is what happens.

If the next 9.6 has the same wrap and PQ as the previous one, then I still think it will sell for more.

Though, I will admit, I think overall market forces are against me. Seems like prices are more coming down than going up in most books.

Are you asking?

$3723

versus the $6600 last month :insane:

Wow.

Looks like I just may have to eat my words on the 9.6. I certainly wouldn't mind the price going down, I just don't expect it.

We'll know if or when it closes in Pedigree's Nov auction. Don't see it listed yet. He could be waiting to headline his next newsletter with it.

GL #76 is following suit with all of the other big books in auctions lately - unless it is a well/perfect centered copy with White pages the price lags, which is how it should be IMHO. I have long thought that CGC should grade books the way that cards are graded with centering being a key issue in the assessment. There are way too many fugly miswrap 9.6 and even 9.8 books out there.

I wonder if we are finally starting to see the big correction some have been calling for in comics right now? Or, are buyers keeping powder in their kegs for the big round of November sales starting with the Mound City collection? I am hoping that prices stay down for a bit so I can stockpile a few more early GL issues I am looking for. :devil:

I thought I'd share my low grade copy just won on Comic Link... :banana:

I've never pressed a book, but this might fit the bill. :tonofbricks:

88018.jpg.912d001eef6e09ae992096ed828cd853.jpg