• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

I thought I'd share my low grade copy just won on Comic Link... :banana:

I've never pressed a book, but this might fit the bill. :tonofbricks:

That book looks like a real score!

:headbang:

damn i didnt know 7.5 was "low grade" lol....what do you call 1.8-4.0 ? lol

When people talk 9.4 and 9.6, it is . My bronze books tend to be in the VF to VF/NM range.

The second 9.6 is up on Pedigree. OW/W with miswrap. I'm no longer certain this 9.6 will sell for $30k, in fact, I'm leaning towards it probably won't.

The description is wrong too. It says the first 9.6 sold for $30k over a year ago. That's incorrect. That sale was in May of this year, less than 6 months ago.

I know I wouldn't pay $30k for this particular showing, but Pedigree occasionally comes up with some strong closes so who knows.

Pedigreecomics.com copy: Not much of a miswrap, only a bit of white showing on the lower half. Looks like a couple of obvious spine ticks too, the one next to the 15 cent price sticks out as glaring to me. I don't believe the ULFC tip should be white either. A nice copy, but I wouldn't pay crazy cash for it myself.

gl76ga6.jpg

Pedigreecomics.com copy: Not much of a miswrap, only a bit of white showing on the lower half. Looks like a couple of obvious spine ticks too, the one next to the 15 cent price sticks out as glaring to me. I don't believe the ULFC tip should be white either. A nice copy, but I wouldn't pay crazy cash for it myself.

gl76ga6.jpg

let me be the first to say the words- "gift grade"

Looks like a 9.2 to me? (shrug)

I think that`s probably pretty harsh. 9.4 might be fair. The miswrap really isn`t too bad for this book, but you shouldn`t find so many ticks on the spine (and not just by the 15 cents) on a 9.6 book.

I think that`s probably pretty harsh. 9.4 might be fair. The miswrap really isn`t too bad for this book, but you shouldn`t find so many ticks on the spine (and not just by the 15 cents) on a 9.6 book.

I can see 3 cb ticks on this book..

I can see 3 cb ticks on this book..

xactly more than one spine tick does not a 9.6 make :rulez:

I agree. It's a 9.4 -- and if it sells for $30k + then you have truly bought the label, not the book.

I agree. It's a 9.4 -- and if it sells for $30k + then you have truly bought the label, not the book.

+1

It is clearly not a 9.6. It is disappointing to see that book given the highest census grade for this scarce issue when many 9.4s, which look better, were not. The other 9.6 blows this away and is still high census to me.

I guess it was bound to happen with all this pressing and resubbing, I'm sure another 9.4 will show up that should've been a 9.2...

Well. Since grading is subjective. Who knows what this book is, for sure.

Spine ticks and corner blunts away, makes a book almost perfect. A 9.6 is not perfect.

So...........this book is in fact a 9.6. I can prove it. (just look at the pic of the label above the book).

It is like a ball or strike in baseball. Or a foul in basketball. If it ain't called (or in this case, is called), then it is what they say it is.

Right?

No one knows what exactly it takes to be a 9.6 in CGC's opinion. Do they?

Well. Since grading is subjective. Who knows what this book is, for sure.

Spine ticks and corner blunts away, makes a book almost perfect. A 9.6 is not perfect.

So...........this book is in fact a 9.6. I can prove it. (just look at the pic of the label above the book).

It is like a ball or strike in baseball. Or a foul in basketball. If it ain't called (or in this case, is called), then it is what they say it is.

Right?

No one knows what exactly it takes to be a 9.6 in CGC's opinion. Do they?

I agree. We have universal grading for a reason.

The only reason it would make sense to me for someone to legitimately question grading is if 1) it was an extremely knowledge and experienced grader and 2) the person held the book in hand to grade the book in its entirety.

From my understanding, alot goes into the grading of a book beyond what you can see from a scan on a computer screen.

Otherwise, to call in to question a books grade, seems in itself questionable.