• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

OK I don't mean to hate on SW, but seriously, WTF? Has to be the least interesting thing in the world that one could spend 30k on. Even if I was a SW guy I'd easily spend it on mint carded figures or something before spending it on a cheesy mid 70s comic book that is otherwise dirt common? I didn't understand the price on this book when it was 1k let alone now. To me a fair price would be $500 (shrug)

That comic helped save Marvel when they were near folding and lucked into the license. Comic history and the landscape since then might have been very different if not for Star Wars #1 and the tons of copies they sold at the time. Show it a little bit of love? :whee:

your points apply equally to both editions. I can appreciate that the regular edition is based on a popular film, sold a lot of copies, whatever. What I can't appreciate is the price differential between the regular and variant editions which remains in my view idiotic

and yeah I know we all collect different things blah blah but back to my original point:

"Has to be the least interesting thing in the world that one could spend 30k on. Even if I was a SW guy I'd easily spend it on mint carded figures or something before spending it on a cheesy mid 70s comic book that is otherwise dirt common?"

where are the bulls? $7900 for the 9.4 on CC and $2225 for the 9.2 on ebay. the fevered lunacy from this summer has broken.

In terms of the 9.4, seems like we're about back to where we were before the sale of the 1st 9.6 copy.

Which is probably where the price should have stayed in the first place. Mind you, did the peak 9.4 copies have a chance at pressing to a 9.6? If yes, that would explain the prices. doh!

a pessimist (or you could say one who is accurately following the market) would say that there likely is a coincidence between seeing 9.4 copies skyrocket to 2x its past and now present value and the appearance of 2 more 9.6 copies on the CGC census.

What I can't appreciate is the price differential between the regular and variant editions which remains in my view idiotic

Well, the upside down Jenny is probably the most well known stamp in the world, and no one seems to bat an eyelash that the upside down one goes for hundreds of thousands of dollars, while a regular Jenny is probably worth peanuts.

I understand the variants are slightly different in that they were intended to be different and therefore their scarcity is artificial, and I would never collect them myself because artificial scarcity doesn`t do anything for me, but I guess I can understand why some people are into them.

I understand the variants are slightly different in that they were intended to be different and therefore their scarcity is artificial, and I would never collect them myself because artificial scarcity doesn`t do anything for me, but I guess I can understand why some people are into them.

Not all variants were intentional. The FF 110 green variant, for example, was a printing mistake that was later corrected.

OK I don't mean to hate on SW, but seriously, WTF? Has to be the least interesting thing in the world that one could spend 30k on. Even if I was a SW guy I'd easily spend it on mint carded figures or something before spending it on a cheesy mid 70s comic book that is otherwise dirt common? I didn't understand the price on this book when it was 1k let alone now. To me a fair price would be $500 (shrug)

That comic helped save Marvel when they were near folding and lucked into the license. Comic history and the landscape since then might have been very different if not for Star Wars #1 and the tons of copies they sold at the time. Show it a little bit of love? :whee:

your points apply equally to both editions. I can appreciate that the regular edition is based on a popular film, sold a lot of copies, whatever. What I can't appreciate is the price differential between the regular and variant editions which remains in my view idiotic

and yeah I know we all collect different things blah blah but back to my original point:

"Has to be the least interesting thing in the world that one could spend 30k on. Even if I was a SW guy I'd easily spend it on mint carded figures or something before spending it on a cheesy mid 70s comic book that is otherwise dirt common?"

Collecting in many other hobbies like stamps and coins is primarily focused on small variations so I think you're wording is a bit harsh. In stamps, which I'm familiar with, every printed shade and type of paper is documented as are even slight differences in the engraving of the different positions of the original plate. These differences often result in significant price differentials (sometimes the variants are more than 100 times the value of the regular.) That does not mean that you or anyone should collect comic variants but neither should it surprise anyone that some might want to.

Not all variants were intentional. The FF 110 green variant, for example, was a printing mistake that was later corrected.

Okay, that would be more similar to the inverted Jenny example, where it was a mistake.

where are the bulls? $7900 for the 9.4 on CC and $2225 for the 9.2 on ebay. the fevered lunacy from this summer has broken.

In terms of the 9.4, seems like we're about back to where we were before the sale of the 1st 9.6 copy.

Which is probably where the price should have stayed in the first place. Mind you, did the peak 9.4 copies have a chance at pressing to a 9.6? If yes, that would explain the prices. doh!

a pessimist (or you could say one who is accurately following the market) would say that there likely is a coincidence between seeing 9.4 copies skyrocket to 2x its past and now present value and the appearance of 2 more 9.6 copies on the CGC census.

whoa. youre right. 3 9.6s now. I dont recall knowing that. Did they just show up?

whoa. youre right. 3 9.6s now. I dont recall knowing that. Did they just show up?

the third just showed up. the second already sold for $22k.

the third just showed up. the second already sold for $22k.

Amazing what a $30K+ sale for a 9.6 BA book will do to supply! Will be interesting to see if it's real or if it's Pressorex.

I have to admit I'd started to believe the whole scarcity thing about this book, given that high 4-figure sales for 9.4 copies still couldn't attract more 9.6 copies out of the woodworks or the pressworks. I guess it takes at least $20K or $30K to make it worth one's while to submit a 9.6 quality book or try pressing up a lesser copy.

I think also collectors are being more picky now that a few more have shown up on the census. That one that sold on ebay for 2225 looks nice but might be slightly over wrapped and has OWW pages..Ones with WP seem to still be selling in the 2600 + range.. Also, a book like this I'd expect to sell a couple hundred less on ebay without good scans like they would have on one of the other auction sites like CC or CL...

and many of them are the same 9.4s that failed the upgrade test. GL76 census is looking like the DD1 census.

Agreed. The book is still tough by Bronze standards.

Many people do NOT turn in their old labels which is a shame.

Wonder if a 9.8 will show up.

R.

Good point, aman. It is sort of like the brief 3rd SC #22 on the census, which was just a resub of the nicer looking old label Clink copy. Caused a bit of a commotion when it was first ID'd until the owner cleared things up with CGC. (thumbs u

Good point, aman. It is sort of like the brief 3rd SC #22 on the census, which was just a resub of the nicer looking old label Clink copy. Caused a bit of a commotion when it was first ID'd until the owner cleared things up with CGC. (thumbs u

As I understand it, the resubbed 9.0 SC 22 was resubbed either with the label or still in the slab, so it was there all along with the book and CGC had knowledge of it. But for whatever reason in CGC's census updating process, the new slab showed up in the Census first, and there was a time delay before the old slab was cancelled out.

yeah same effect but different reasoning on the SH22.

back to DD1, Ive been told on numerous occasions that DD1 has had a slew of failed upgrade attempts, so its not as "unscarce" as the number of NM copies appears. May be a similar situation here.

As I understand it, the resubbed 9.0 SC 22 was resubbed either with the label or still in the slab, so it was there all along with the book and CGC had knowledge of it. But for whatever reason in CGC's census updating process, the new slab showed up in the Census first, and there was a time delay before the old slab was cancelled out.

I wonder if they automatically update the census when the grades are entered into the system and then have to manually remove the ones that they have the original labels for?