• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

Question from the back of the room. Does the drug storyline from GL #85 make it almost as valuable? (shrug)

No, because it's much more common so doesn't command the same massive premium that #76 does.

Personally speaking, however, #85 was always the most memorable cover of the run and maybe one of the most memorable covers in the history of comics. It's an absolute shocker.

Question from the back of the room. Does the drug storyline from GL #85 make it almost as valuable? (shrug)

No, because it's much more common so doesn't command the same massive premium that #76 does.

Personally speaking, however, #85 was always the most memorable cover of the run and maybe one of the most memorable covers in the history of comics. It's an absolute shocker.

Speedy the Junkie. :cloud9:

+1 (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

Point taken. My only reasoning involves the Rogers/Englehart run on Detective. Is the first copy by these two more valuable if it's harder to find than "The Sign of The Joker" issue? Probably a silly analogy, but I still shake my head at some "Key Issues". (shrug)

+1 (thumbs u

Point taken. My only reasoning involves the Rogers/Englehart run on Detective. Is the first copy by these two more valuable if it's harder to find than "The Sign of The Joker" issue? Probably a silly analogy, but I still shake my head at some "Key Issues". (shrug)

True, but GL #76 features the key Adams cover in the minds of collectors, and while Rogers was a very good artist he is not in the same league as Adams. As a result, the Joker trumps Rogers any day in the mind of Batman fans.

WRT keys, please reread this thread and the numerous others about GL #76. There are enough of them. lol

+1 (thumbs u

True, but GL #76 features the key Adams cover in the minds of collectors, and while Rogers was a very good artist he is not in the same league as Adams. As a result, the Joker trumps Rogers any day in the mind of Batman fans.

WRT keys, please reread this thread and the numerous others about GL #76. There are enough of them. lol

Exactly. GL 76 is a BA mega-key in its own right, because of arguably being the first BA comic, the great cover, and the start of the legendary Adams GL run. It would be worth decent coin even if it weren't a lot harder to find in HG than the surrounding issues. Its scarcity (relative to demand) just turbo-boosts its price.

GL 85 in my opinion is also a major BA key, and an underrated one at that. Its abundance has kept its price down. Ironically, I think it was highly collected and hoarded, and has always been in demand, exactly because it had such an iconic cover.

I'm in agreement. I purchased that comic off the stands asa young boy, and was intirqued and somewhat stunned when I first saw it. I wonder what other creators though when they first saw it, comics and the creators being so staid for so long. I often think where those OA covers are at. Or what they would bring at current market prices? I personally would have a hard time picking between the two, if I had to choose. The GL #76 cover was more compelling to me, maybe because of the all green cover, or because Admas did the cover, or maybe after reading it I relate the cover and the book's memorable story as one. Talking of memorable covers, the Thrilling Crime Cases #49 cover by L.B.Cole is a stunner ( http://www.samuelsdesign.com/comics/pages/crime-horror/thrilling_crime49.htm ), one of the better comic covers of any era. But when it comes to drug stories, the Murder, Morphine and Me story from True crime Cases vol. 1, #2, from 1947, by Jack Cole, is THE comic drug story of all time. Here is a partial quote from a review from the site comicsreporter.com.

"For me, this moralism bumps up against Cole's tendency to illustrate every scene, and not just the ones with gunshots and punches, as a fever-pitch climax. When she first meets the gang boss Tony, Mary's heart (in Spiegelman's words) bangs "against her chest like a five-hundred pound canary trying to break out of its cage" (93). On page 11, when a character called the Professor speaks to Mary, she madly whirls around in a swivel chair; on page 13, when Mary is driven to a safe house run by federal agents, a panel shows her yanked from the car by a hand extended from a blackened doorway. Nobody walks slowly or sits quietly in Cole's world of hopped-up drug fiends. The overwhelming effect is instead a relentless exhilaration that Spiegelman calls Cole's "signature velocity" (92)."

Joe

...I often think where those OA covers are at. Or what they would bring at current market prices?...

Interesting!...

I wonder if the OA cover to GL76 would bring in more than the cover to GSX-Men1.

Great question. My guess would be yes.

...I often think where those OA covers are at. Or what they would bring at current market prices?...

Interesting!...

I wonder if the OA cover to GL76 would bring in more than the cover to GSX-Men1.

I agree, I think it would as well....but it might be close. Aren't there more xmen collectors than Adams collectors?

I love the GL #76 cover, but my guess would "no". Not by a long shot.

GL #85 and GS X-MEN #1 are in well-known black hole collections and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. GL #76, on the other hand... hm

Interesting!...

My guess would be no as well. GSX 1 is a bigger key IMO and I would imagine there are far more X-Men collectors than GL or Adams. What keeps the prices of GSX down is the abundance of high grade copies. You can't turn around at a show without bumping into a 9.6 or 9.8 copy. What would the price of GSX 1 be if the census numbers were the same as GL 76? I'd guess it would sell for more than GL 76. Same with the OA, since there is only 1 in existence for both books.

Well the last copy of GL 76 that sold in the CLink auction, as part of the "Heartland Collection" just sold for around 3600. That's about 1000 more than the last one that sold, isn't it? (shrug)

Just wondering what the normal price for this book is at now?

Interesting!...

My guess would be no as well. GSX 1 is a bigger key IMO and I would imagine there are far more X-Men collectors than GL or Adams. What keeps the prices of GSX down is the abundance of high grade copies. You can't turn around at a show without bumping into a 9.6 or 9.8 copy. What would the price of GSX 1 be if the census numbers were the same as GL 76? I'd guess it would sell for more than GL 76. Same with the OA, since there is only 1 in existence for both books.

The biggest difference in the OA world, though, is that it would be the key Neal Adams cover to have vs. a lesser artist's (Cockrum, I believe) most important cover. That might tip the scales in favor of GL #76.

Well the last copy of GL 76 that sold in the CLink auction, as part of the "Heartland Collection" just sold for around 3600. That's about 1000 more than the last one that sold, isn't it? (shrug)

That was a great price considering the census numbers on this book in 9.0 and up now.

That was a great price considering the census numbers on this book in 9.0 and up now.

For GL #76, it seems that there are huge shifts in price now for HG copies based on structure, PQ and cut. A 9.2 WP with a straight cut compared to OW/W with a slight miscut could be a $1000 price difference these days. Old Label Goodness seems to be a factor also bringing greater prices with buyers anticipating a crack-out/press/resubmit for a grade bump. You are probably only going to get top dollar if your book is top of the tops in eye appeal for it's grade as more copies begin to litter the census.