• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

Rocky Mountain copy coming up in CL's March auction. Perfectly wrapped 9.4 white pager... should be interesting :popcorn:

has there been any auction in the past two years that didn't have at least one 9.2 or better of this book? could be big tho, as the pancakers might believe it could go 9.6

Rocky Mountain copy coming up in CL's March auction. Perfectly wrapped 9.4 white pager... should be interesting :popcorn:

has there been any auction in the past two years that didn't have at least one 9.2 or better of this book? could be big tho, as the pancakers might believe it could go 9.6

You really think it's still virgin? I'm assuming it's been potentialised already. That said, it's a very nice looking 9.4 :cloud9: White pages, perfect centering and pedigree to boot. Might bring a new record.

You really think it's still virgin? I'm assuming it's been potentialised already. That said, it's a very nice looking 9.4 :cloud9: White pages, perfect centering and pedigree to boot. Might bring a new record.

you're probably right. i guess i'm naive in thinking something they're touting as an OO pedigree hasn't been wrung thru the wringer. :cry:

...I often think where those OA covers are at. Or what they would bring at current market prices?...

Interesting!...

I wonder if the OA cover to GL76 would bring in more than the cover to GSX-Men1.

Great question. My guess would be yes.

My guess would be no as well. GSX 1 is a bigger key IMO and I would imagine there are far more X-Men collectors than GL or Adams. What keeps the prices of GSX down is the abundance of high grade copies. You can't turn around at a show without bumping into a 9.6 or 9.8 copy. What would the price of GSX 1 be if the census numbers were the same as GL 76? I'd guess it would sell for more than GL 76. Same with the OA, since there is only 1 in existence for both books.

The biggest difference in the OA world, though, is that it would be the key Neal Adams cover to have vs. a lesser artist's (Cockrum, I believe) most important cover. That might tip the scales in favor of GL #76.

I tend to disagree on this one Ryan. There are alot of factors that go into making one more valuable than the other.

Things like historical importance. I think I have to give it to GSX 1. The GL cover is cool and all that, but not really as important (start of Bronze age) in terms of OA. Wolverine has a lot more fans than GL....even with the spike in popularity.

The artist/inker. Neal Adams is a better artist, so this would go to the GL 76.

Is it a character for which the artist was famous for doing. Adams on Batman, Lee on X Men, McFarlane on ASM, Miller on DD....etc.....and there is a difference of McFarlane on ASM, then his Spider-man run, for example....Adams on regular Batman title is more desirable than Detective.

Condition of the art. True, it's not as important as it is with comics...But not having seen the GL 76 cover (it is in a private collection), I can't say it's not yellowed, whiteout, marks, stains, etc......

And lastly, just the people involved....How many people want it and are willing to 'cowboy up" to get it ? - I don't think it would break any records, but one never knows...

Course, this is all speculation and it would be fun to see the GL cover come to market.....

Anyway venture a guess what a GL 76 in CGC 9.4 with OW/W pages would bring if brought to market based on what the 9.2 copy brought in the February C-link Auction?

SLR

Depends on how well centered it is, I think.

Anyway venture a guess what a GL 76 in CGC 9.4 with OW/W pages would bring if brought to market based on what the 9.2 copy brought in the February C-link Auction?

SLR

Since it has ow/w pages, it will bring a little less that a 9.4 white pages. Books that are 1965+, page quality will play a factor on prices. Isn't this the copy that you bought raw years ago and it got graded a 9.4?

SLR

Since it has ow/w pages, it will bring a little less that a 9.4 white pages. Books that are 1965+, page quality will play a factor on prices. Isn't this the copy that you bought raw years ago and it got graded a 9.4?

Yes, it's that copy, but the wife is against my selling the book. She thinks I'll have seller's remorse for the next 20 years. Well, I'll think about it

SR

SLR

Yes, it's that copy, but the wife is against my selling the book. She thinks I'll have seller's remorse for the next 20 years. Well, I'll think about it

SR

is this the first time this has been written in the history of mankind?

SLR

SR

lol

Since you bought it cheap and if you don't need the money...I suggest you keep it, so you won't have seller's remorse for the next twenty years. After twenty years gone by, sell it and treat yourself and your wife to a nice vacation or pass it down to the next generations. 2c

SLR

SR

:roflmao:

You should`ve seen my wife offering to go out and buy packing materials when I told her I was thinking of selling some of my books.

SLR

SR

lol

Since you bought it cheap and if you don't need the money...I suggest you keep it, so you won't have seller's remorse for the next twenty years. After twenty years gone by, sell it and treat yourself and your wife to a nice vacation or pass it down to the next generations. 2c

In 20 years, there will probably be 100 9.4 copies. I think selling now is a good idea.

SLR

SR

lol

In 20 years, there will probably be 100 9.4 copies. I think selling now is a good idea.

I just whipped out my trusty Quantum Mechanics Slide Rule.....and there will only be 42 copies in 9.4 after 20 more years....but it's still pretty good advice. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Very nice looking copy and the best centered copy I`ve ever seen. The centering seems to be just good fortune, though, as from looking at the rest of the run the RM OO didn`t seem to care about things like centering.

The bottom left corner doesn't look like it belongs on a 9.4 if you ask me. The rest of the book looks nice, centering etc. but that corner should have brought it down to a 9.2. The 9.2 has a large indent along the top edge as well.

I think some of these 76's look like they're getting gifts grades. Maybe I should resub my 9.2... hm

The bottom left corner doesn't look like it belongs on a 9.4 if you ask me. The rest of the book looks nice, centering etc. but that corner should have brought it down to a 9.2.

Everyone's a critic meh and no it shouldn't have brought it down to a 9.2. That book looks close to 9.6 in fact.