• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

The bottom left corner doesn't look like it belongs on a 9.4 if you ask me. The rest of the book looks nice, centering etc. but that corner should have brought it down to a 9.2.

Everyone's a critic meh and no it shouldn't have brought it down to a 9.2. That book looks close to 9.6 in fact.

Thats your opinion and I disagree. Definitely not a 9.6. I could see it squeaking by with a small 1/8 inch bindery tear like that to get a 9.4 but not a 9.6... Dont get me wrong though, it is still a nice looking book.

The bottom left corner doesn't look like it belongs on a 9.4 if you ask me. The rest of the book looks nice, centering etc. but that corner should have brought it down to a 9.2.

Everyone's a critic meh and no it shouldn't have brought it down to a 9.2. That book looks close to 9.6 in fact.

Thats your opinion and I disagree. Definitely not a 9.6. I could see it squeaking by with a small 1/8 inch bindery tear like that to get a 9.4 but not a 9.6... Dont get me wrong though, it is still a nice looking book.

This is a 9.8. With a bindery tear. CGC does not downgrade much, if at all, for bindery tears. That GL essentially was downgraded for the one spine stress, it is a borderline 9.6 judging by the front cover scan. There may be other defects bringing it down that we don't see but the bindery tear does not take it out of 9.4 and it isn't squeaking by either.

frankenstein7.jpg

I do agree that CGC does not downgrade much for defects in the printing process. My comments were based on what I can see from the scan and that bindery tear looks to be the most obvious to me.

However, you may be right that it could be the small spine tick that keeps it at the 9.4 range. I think that is what kept my book out of the 9.4 range as well.

GL76.jpg

I do agree that CGC does not downgrade much for defects in the printing process. My comments were based on what I can see from the scan and that bindery tear looks to be the most obvious to me.

However, you may be right that it could be the small spine tick that keeps it at the 9.4 range. I think that is what kept my book out of the 9.4 range as well.

GL76.jpg

From the front cover scan alone, that sure looks better than a 9.2. Of course there may be other stuff going on we can't see from a scan of the front cover only but I'd definitely call for graders notes and maybe consider a resub based on what the notes say.

From the front cover scan alone, that sure looks better than a 9.2. Of course there may be other stuff going on we can't see from a scan of the front cover only but I'd definitely call for graders notes and maybe consider a resub based on what the notes say.

Plus there might be defects on the front cover that you can't see from a 2-dimensional scan. There's a reason graders don't grade books through a slab or even through a mylar or poly bag. All sorts of stuff appears once you hold the book in front of you out of the slab/bag in the light.

All you can say from the scan is that there don't appear to be any 9.2-level defects visible from a scan.

Plus there might be defects on the front cover that you can't see from a 2-dimensional scan. There's a reason graders don't grade books through a slab or even through a mylar or poly bag. All sorts of stuff appears once you hold the book in front of you out of the slab/bag in the light.

All you can say from the scan is that there don't appear to be any 9.2-level defects visible from a scan.

I've looked at the cover from all angles and cannot find any indents or other defects that would have kept it out of the 9.4 range, other than a very very small nick on the black line of the spine, near the L, that only breaks colour ever so slightly. I have other 9.4's with similar defects so I can't really see that being the only defect keeping it down.

I had considered a resub but seeing that I don't ever really plan on selling it I'm happy with it being a very nice looking 9.2 for the time being.

I've looked at the cover from all angles and cannot find any indents or other defects that would have kept it out of the 9.4 range, other than a very very small nick on the black line of the spine, near the L, that only breaks colour ever so slightly. I have other 9.4's with similar defects so I can't really seeing that being the only defect keeping it down.

I had considered a resub but seeing that I don't ever really plan on selling it I'm happy with it being a very nice looking 9.2 for the time being.

And a very sharp looking 9.2 it is indeed!

I agree with you. Unless you're planning on selling or have bought into Registry competition, there' s no reason to resub. I've received a few 9.2s back from CGC where my reaction was "WTF?" and believe they're good resub candidates, but I don't plan to sell them any time soon so have no plans to resub them for the time being.

Rocky Mountain GL 76 ending tonight. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to closing price? I'm saying $16,300 2c

I think its gonna end big, with the assumption that someone wants the book in a 9.6 holder. That's a pretty big gamble in my opinion but you gotta pay to play I guess.

If the Green Lantern 76 wasn't a pedigree, it would have went for less than $6500.

Don't think the "Pedigree" had anything to do with it, especially considering its the Rocky Mountain. The book itself looks beautiful, perfectly centered, which is really difficult for this book and definitely worth a good premium. Anyway we're all judging the book by a scan, we know Clink allows people to view books in person, maybe up close the book doesn't have 9.6 potential.

Josh has stated before that the Rocky Mountains weren't pressed, who knows if that still holds true for their latest offerings.

If the Green Lantern 76 wasn't a pedigree, it would have went for less than $6500.

Don't think the "Pedigree" had anything to do with it, especially considering its the Rocky Mountain. The book itself looks beautiful, perfectly centered, which is really difficult for this book and definitely worth a good premium. Anyway we're all judging the book by a scan, we know Clink allows people to view books in person, maybe up close the book doesn't have 9.6 potential.

Josh has stated before that the Rocky Mountains weren't pressed, who knows if that still holds true for their latest offerings.

Little over a year ago, Rocky Mountains Marvels form 1965+ on CL did quite well and were price 25%-50% premium. But of course that was before the soft market and abundant of press books. If the Rocky Mountain GL 76 was offered in last quarter last year, you would have seen prices in the 11K-13K.

Little over a year ago, Rocky Mountains Marvels form 1965+ on CL did quite well and were price 25%-50% premium. But of course that was before the soft market and abundant of press books. If the Rocky Mountain GL 76 was offered in last quarter last year, you would have seen prices in the 11K-13K.

You might have seen a lot higher then 11-13K. There was one 9.4 copy that sold for something around 16K last year in a Clink auction. It also likely was one of the 2 new 9.6s that hit the census. A lot of the fervor over the books, sorry to say, was that they were untouched and many upgradeable. Plus they were Marvels and these are DCs.

The crazy multiples some of the RM Marvel's had weren't across the board, usually you could point out specific books that sold for 4-5x gpa and guess the reasoning why.

You might have seen a lot higher then 11-13K. There was one 9.4 copy that sold for something around 16K last year in a Clink auction. It also likely was one of the 2 new 9.6s that hit the census. A lot of the fervor over the books, sorry to say, was that they were untouched and many upgradeable. Plus they were Marvels and these are DCs.

The crazy multiples some of the RM Marvel's had weren't across the board, usually you could point out specific books that sold for 4-5x gpa and guess the reasoning why.

Almost all the high grades stuff been going up the last few years and especially GL76 and SC22, so I wouldn't be surprise we need to see more price stability.

Hmm maybe not, 8600.

Wow, that's a steal given some of the other copies that have sold for more. Some of the other RM GLs were very strong.

Those higher prices for other 9.4 copies of GL 76 were paid when the bubble was peaking for this book.

Since the $30K sale of the 9.6 and subsequent $16K sale for a 9.4 copy, prices have been coming down, which is exactly what they should have been doing in light of the quantity of 9.4 copies that have come on the market. I think the $8600 price actually reflects an uptick from recent prices, which I would attribute to the excellent centering of this book and that it's a RM book. I like to knock the RM books because they don't deserve pedigree status, but there's no question that they're very sharp, well preserved books. I wouldn't have minded picking up this book in the $6000s.