• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

Hmm maybe not, 8600.

Wow, that's a steal given some of the other copies that have sold for more. Some of the other RM GLs were very strong.

Those higher prices for other 9.4 copies of GL 76 were paid when the bubble was peaking for this book.

Since the $30K sale of the 9.6 and subsequent $16K sale for a 9.4 copy, prices have been coming down, which is exactly what they should have been doing in light of the quantity of 9.4 copies that have come on the market. I think the $8600 price actually reflects an uptick from recent prices, which I would attribute to the excellent centering of this book and that it's a RM book. I like to knock the RM books because they don't deserve pedigree status, but there's no question that they're very sharp, well preserved books. I wouldn't have minded picking up this book in the $6000s.

+1 - was it only a year or so ago when GL #76's in HG seemed in short supply? since then seems like there has been a 9.2 or 9.4 auctioned off every other week.

i'm actually surprised prices haven't come down further.

Hmm maybe not, 8600.

Wow, that's a steal given some of the other copies that have sold for more. Some of the other RM GLs were very strong.

Those higher prices for other 9.4 copies of GL 76 were paid when the bubble was peaking for this book.

Since the $30K sale of the 9.6 and subsequent $16K sale for a 9.4 copy, prices have been coming down, which is exactly what they should have been doing in light of the quantity of 9.4 copies that have come on the market. I think the $8600 price actually reflects an uptick from recent prices, which I would attribute to the excellent centering of this book and that it's a RM book. I like to knock the RM books because they don't deserve pedigree status, but there's no question that they're very sharp, well preserved books. I wouldn't have minded picking up this book in the $6000s.

You and I both but I literally didn't think it had a shot of coming in below $10K so I didn't even watch the auction. Probably a good thinkg as I would have been tempted to bid at the level it went for.

That $18K sale was only a few months ago and it came after the glut of 9.4s popping up in every auction. That's what made the sale so remarkable. The book was selling in the $10-12K range and then started dropping off a bit to the $6-9K range. The 9.6 sold for silly money and a couple of months later that $18K sale happened in late September last year. So while I agree with you that the price on 9.4s should be going down, the market on this book is just wacky. I figured a perfectly centered, strong, white paged, pedigree 9.4 would go closer to the $18K sale of a few months ago. (shrug)

If the Green Lantern 76 wasn't a pedigree, it would have went for less than $6500.

Don't think the "Pedigree" had anything to do with it, especially considering its the Rocky Mountain. The book itself looks beautiful, perfectly centered, which is really difficult for this book and definitely worth a good premium. Anyway we're all judging the book by a scan, we know Clink allows people to view books in person, maybe up close the book doesn't have 9.6 potential.

Josh has stated before that the Rocky Mountains weren't pressed, who knows if that still holds true for their latest offerings.

Little over a year ago, Rocky Mountains Marvels form 1965+ on CL did quite well and were price 25%-50% premium. But of course that was before the soft market and abundant of press books. If the Rocky Mountain GL 76 was offered in last quarter last year, you would have seen prices in the 11K-13K.

You might have seen a lot higher then 11-13K. There was one 9.4 copy that sold for something around 16K last year in a Clink auction. It also likely was one of the 2 new 9.6s that hit the census. A lot of the fervor over the books, sorry to say, was that they were untouched and many upgradeable. Plus they were Marvels and these are DCs.

The crazy multiples some of the RM Marvel's had weren't across the board, usually you could point out specific books that sold for 4-5x gpa and guess the reasoning why.

The third 9.6 might be the $18K 9.4 that sold in late September. It was graded October 16 so it would have been a quick turnaround but very doable hm

If the Green Lantern 76 wasn't a pedigree, it would have went for less than $6500.

Don't think the "Pedigree" had anything to do with it, especially considering its the Rocky Mountain. The book itself looks beautiful, perfectly centered, which is really difficult for this book and definitely worth a good premium. Anyway we're all judging the book by a scan, we know Clink allows people to view books in person, maybe up close the book doesn't have 9.6 potential.

Josh has stated before that the Rocky Mountains weren't pressed, who knows if that still holds true for their latest offerings.

Little over a year ago, Rocky Mountains Marvels form 1965+ on CL did quite well and were price 25%-50% premium. But of course that was before the soft market and abundant of press books. If the Rocky Mountain GL 76 was offered in last quarter last year, you would have seen prices in the 11K-13K.

You might have seen a lot higher then 11-13K. There was one 9.4 copy that sold for something around 16K last year in a Clink auction. It also likely was one of the 2 new 9.6s that hit the census. A lot of the fervor over the books, sorry to say, was that they were untouched and many upgradeable. Plus they were Marvels and these are DCs.

The crazy multiples some of the RM Marvel's had weren't across the board, usually you could point out specific books that sold for 4-5x gpa and guess the reasoning why.

The third 9.6 might be the $18K 9.4 that sold in late September. It was graded October 16 so it would have been a quick turnaround but very doable hm

Wow 18K ? Missed that one. That's pretty crazy.

It probably was. I would love to see how many 8.0/8.5/9.0/9.2/9.4 books have had grades change over the past 3 years.

Hmm maybe not, 8600.

You and I both but I literally didn't think it had a shot of coming in below $10K so I didn't even watch the auction. Probably a good thinkg as I would have been tempted to bid at the level it went for.

That $18K sale was only a few months ago and it came after the glut of 9.4s popping up in every auction. That's what made the sale so remarkable. The book was selling in the $10-12K range and then started dropping off a bit to the $6-9K range. The 9.6 sold for silly money and a couple of months later that $18K sale happened in late September last year. So while I agree with you that the price on 9.4s should be going down, the market on this book is just wacky. I figured a perfectly centered, strong, white paged, pedigree 9.4 would go closer to the $18K sale of a few months ago. (shrug)

Was it $18K? For some reason $16K sticks in my memory.

Anyways, $18K was such an outlier of a number that I think it should be treated like the Russian judge's scores and just thrown out when trying to gauge prices from past sales.

$6-7K seems to be where 9.4 copies have settled, with price varying for QP and PQ, and really exceptional QP and PQ (like the RM copy) causing a book to bust that range. But I don't see 9.4 copies getting back into 5 digits again anytime soon. This was probably the nicest 9.4 copy that I've seen.

Hmm maybe not, 8600.

Was it $18K? For some reason $16K sticks in my memory.

Anyways, $18K was such an outlier of a number that I think it should be treated like the Russian judge's scores and just thrown out when trying to gauge prices from past sales.

$6-7K seems to be where 9.4 copies have settled, with price varying for QP and PQ, and really exceptional QP and PQ (like the RM copy) causing a book to bust that range. But I don't see 9.4 copies getting back into 5 digits again anytime soon. This was probably the nicest 9.4 copy that I've seen.

I agree...10K is overpaying for now.

:frustrated: .....and people got mad on here 2 years ago when a 9.4 on c-link went for a little bit over $6000 while everyone else was paying over double that price. It is like the 9.8 Hulk #181's. After one sale that went lower then what everyone else was paying; word got around and people got into a panic :ohnoez: which caused the other sales to stop rising and demand to go down. This cause everyone to press there books in hope to not lose out on what they paid and to also still make a profit while they can.

The power of the internet raised the demand and then took it away :sorry:

Its like the stock market------ prices can rise as fast as they can FALL. Key books sales are no exception.

Greed, fear and emotions. THE DARK SIDE

"Fear leads to anger( :frustrated: I PAID 5X THAT PRICE SIX MONTHS AGO AND USED ALL OF MY KID'S COLLEGE FUND TO GET IT) ; anger leads to hate( :troll: THIS COMIC ISN'T REALLY A KEY BOOK BECAUSE PEOPLE JUST THOUGHT IT WAS RARE IN HIGH GRADE BUT NOW IT ISN'T AND WHO EVER LIKES THIS BOOK IS A TOOL AND A SUCKER) ; hate leads to suffering( :sorry:I'M IN SO MUCH DEBT NOW THAT I CAN'T PAY MY BILLS. I TRIED TO GET IT PRESSED TO A HIGHER GRADE AND IT CAME BACK IN A LOWER GRADE. I SHOULD OF FLIPED IT WHEN I FIRST GOT IT. MY WIFE WANTS A DIVORCE AND KIDS DON'T WANT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ME ANY MORE. "

94897.jpg.6e5a8c9bdaddb7b0fa0adf52da0f005c.jpg

Interestingly i thought we might see a whole crop of 9.4's turning up in various auctions but the only one i see is in the current Pedigree auction. Still a nice centered copy and better than the last one they sold. Anybody like to hazard a guess at the final hammer price?

If it is well centered with white pages, $7000 - $8000 would be my guess.

I still would like to know how many of the newer 9.2/9.4/9.6 copies are due to the press and resub game. We will likely never know, but I am curious to know how easy it is to do that with this book.

I still would like to know how many of the newer 9.2/9.4/9.6 copies are due to the press and resub game. We will likely never know, but I am curious to know how easy it is to do that with this book.

I'm sure more GL 76 9.2/9.4/9.6 will be out of the wood works. It's like an X-men 94 high grade.

Im actually going to go for $8000-$9000 and wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt go higher. I said to myself that this year i am going to buy a Green Lantern #76 either CGC9.6 or 9.4 White Paged nicely centered(and this one certainly is) copy. I think a 9.6 copy is now out of my budget range and would be more than happy to have this copy instead. I actually think its better than the 9.6 copy that Pedigree Comics sold in their last auction.

The average is $10,000 and I think it will go $10,000+ because this one looks so sweet and the movie/blackest/brightest hype.

hm Hey that could be the next story lines..."Blackest Hype" that goes to "Brightest Hype" and ends in (let those who worship evil's might, beware my power) "Green Lantern's Hype". lol This should all come out just before and after the movie.

The average is $10,000 and I think it will go $10,000+ because this one looks so sweet and the movie/blackest/brightest hype.

hm Hey that could be the next story lines..."Blackest Hype" that goes to "Brightest Hype" and ends in (let those who worship evil's might, beware my power) "Green Lantern's Hype". lol This should all come out just before and after the movie.

lol lol