• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

The days of the 10K for this book was the past. We just need confirmation, that there are no more supply of 9.4 on the census anytime soon...only time, then prices will rise again.

I am beginning to wonder how much of an impact that the reputation some dealers/auction sites have regarding the press and flip game is impacting prices.

The days of the 10K for this book was the past. We just need confirmation, that there are no more supply of 9.4 on the census anytime soon...only time, then prices will rise again.

I am beginning to wonder how much of an impact that the reputation some dealers/auction sites have regarding the press and flip game is impacting prices.

I am holding out until.................................................well for awhile......

:sumo:

Well...some collectors have been burned from buying high and there are reluctance to bid too high for the fear of more copies surfacing. Prices have dampen on many mid 60's and early bronze 9.8s and especially 9.6s because of the opportunity to press some 9.2-9.6 respectively. Don't get me wrong, 9.8's are still quite difficult to achieve and I see price multiple still holding up. Just sad to see my portfolio drop from last years peak.

i'm not sure what the cause is, other than glut of material constantly on sale, but prices have to be down at least 30% pretty much across the board. these things are cyclical but the days of putting books up for auction for fear of leaving a lot of dough on the table seems to be over (for now).

i'm not sure what the cause is, other than glut of material constantly on sale, but prices have to be down at least 30% pretty much across the board. these things are cyclical but the days of putting books up for auction for fear of leaving a lot of dough on the table seems to be over (for now).

I sense once this down and stagnant cycle is over...it's party time...but not for a while.

Survey says... you guys weren't even close.

Ahem...................... :baiting:

If it is well centered with white pages, $7000 - $8000 would be my guess.

I still would like to know how many of the newer 9.2/9.4/9.6 copies are due to the press and resub game. We will likely never know, but I am curious to know how easy it is to do that with this book.

My comment wasn't addressed to you. :gossip:

I sense once this down and stagnant cycle is over...it's party time...but not for a while.

The only way this cycle will be broken is if new 9.4 and better copies stop appearing and coming up for sale all the time.

Let's just step back a moment and remember that we're talking about a BA book that has been selling for astronomical amounts due to perceived scarcity in NM. That perception has now been proven to be an illusion.

The book has a great cover, and is arguably the first BA book, but it doesn't otherwise break new ground. No new characters, no firsts. The only BA books that are even close to being comparable in price are GSX 1, X-Men 94 and Hulk 181. All of these feature major "firsts".

The first GL #9 in 9.4 sold in the same auction for less than this #76, even though it is the one and only 9.4 (and even with pressing there won't be 17 more 9.4 copies) and had the first Sinestro cover.

The question isn't why and when #76 will regain its mojo, but why its price has stayed as high as it has.

Yep, prices for this book are down, will go lower, and aren't going back to where they were last year any time soon...if ever. The population of 9.4+ copies has doubled since July of '08, and the population of 9.6 copies has tripled within the last 6 months. Not surprisingly, the population of 9.4 copies actually lost 2 members in '07... hm

Yep, prices for this book are down, will go lower, and aren't going back to where they were last year any time soon...if ever. The population of 9.4+ copies has doubled since July of '08, and the population of 9.6 copies has tripled within the last 6 months. Not surprisingly, the population of 9.4 copies actually lost 2 members in '07... hm

I talked about this before, and we all do it whether we know it or not, but I value this book based on another key book out there. I compare and believe that real pricing of the 9.4's will fall in line with Hulk 181 9.6 copies. Both books are extrememly key books for their own reasons. Hulk 181 was produced in far more numbers and does not have a green cover hence the grade difference in my valuation. I could see the GL 76 in 9.4 being some where aroun d the Hulk 181 in 9.6 with maybe a slight +20% for nicer copies. If I am wrong, I will never own a GL76 because I d not value the book for greater than I am willing to pay.

my 2c

the wild card could be around the release of the movie. otherwise, i agree. the supply dictates lower prices. $5-6k for 9.4's, less than $2k for 9.2's.

The first GL #9 in 9.4 sold in the same auction for less than this #76, even though it is the one and only 9.4 (and even with pressing there won't be 17 more 9.4 copies) and had the first Sinestro cover.

Great point. I was shocked it did not go higher given the increased importance of Sinestro to the DCU now. DC should have switched the covers between GL #7 and #9 originally. doh!

Great point. I was shocked it did not go higher given the increased importance of Sinestro to the DCU now. DC should have switched the covers between GL #7 and #9 originally. doh!

Why didn`t you bid on it?

Why didn`t you bid on it?

My play funds are tied up elsewhere at the moment..............

The average is $10,000 and I think it will go over $10,000+ because this one looks so sweet and the movie/blackest/brightest hype.

This is where I'm beting on :wishluck: before I started this picture mess :tonofbricks: .

$15000 would be nice because this is the best one to show up in along time and might be the reserve price.

Ive just had another look and im going to revise my original estimate and say between 12K-18K as i agree with keldog and say this is the best one to show up in a long time. Abosolutely perfectly centered with White pages and more deserving of a 9.6 than the last 9.6 Pedigree had. Im not sure how much collectors who want this book know about it so either it will go for a low amount or there will be some last minute frantic bidding.

$7600 reserve not met which is about what I was thinking. The reserve might have scared away a couple of bidders. It's finally coming back down to earth.

I was going to bid on that book and put the $10,000 down on it in hope that was the reserve. Well, the internet went down and I couldn't find another compter to submit my bid(s) :sorry: . I wanted to up grade my miswrap 9.4 copy with a better wrap 9.4 copy. I don't care if this one is pressed or not; well I guess if it comes up again I will get it for $7600 or less :devil::banana: .

The average is $10,000 and I think it will go over $10,000+ because this one looks so sweet and the movie/blackest/brightest hype.

This is where I'm beting on :wishluck: before I started this picture mess :tonofbricks: .

$15000 would be nice because this is the best one to show up in along time and might be the reserve price.

Ive just had another look and im going to revise my original estimate and say between 12K-18K as i agree with keldog and say this is the best one to show up in a long time. Abosolutely perfectly centered with White pages and more deserving of a 9.6 than the last 9.6 Pedigree had. Im not sure how much collectors who want this book know about it so either it will go for a low amount or there will be some last minute frantic bidding.

$7600 reserve not met which is about what I was thinking. The reserve might have scared away a couple of bidders. It's finally coming back down to earth.

I was going to bid on that book and put the $10,000 down on it in hope that was the reserve. Well, the internet went down and I couldn't find another compter to submit my bid(s) :sorry: . I wanted to up grade my miswrap 9.4 copy with a better wrap 9.4 copy. I don't care if this one is pressed or not; well I guess if it comes up again I will get it for $7600 or less :devil::banana: .

If you`re for real, email Doug and I`m sure he can arrange for you to buy the book as an auction after-sale. I`m sure the reserve was less than $10K, so you can even save yourself some money.

If you`re for real, email Doug and I`m sure he can arrange for you to buy the book as an auction after-sale. I`m sure the reserve was less than $10K, so you can even save yourself some money.

Given the above, I suspect that the reserve is currently around $9,999...not sure what it might have been during the live auction. lol

Given the above, I suspect that the reserve is currently around $9,999...not sure what it might have been during the live auction. lol

Who PM'd Doug first? :devil:

Who PM'd Doug first? :devil:

The question is, who would want to hold the bag near $10K. :boo: