• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

I know people were stunned by the FF#112 CGC 9.8 going for $24,000 but personally I find this sale price 5x as outrageous. doh!

Really? The lone 9.6 of a BA key vs. a 9.4 9.8 of a classic cover.

First issue where they also use the Green Arrow in the title, not exactly that thrilling of a key to be honest. No doubt a great cover.

wow thats some great analysis.

Not bashing the book just can't believe someone wanted it so bad they were willing to pay $30,000 for it (I guess two people wanted it that badly).

That I can understand but stating that the book is a key only because it added Green Arrow in the title is a bit much (Im sure you were just joking however).The price is another matter but seriously there are multiple threads started every auction with "crazy" prices. I agree, paying up crazy multiples for lone top census bronze keys is not a smart move with the pressing game on full bore and new copies being created every day.

About GL 76, unlike books like FF 112 and tons of other Bronze books GL 76 is a great key because it actually is a comic book. Incredible artwork, great storyline - what a highly collected comic book should be. You can decide yourself whether it started the bronze age or not but you cant deny its impact in the comic industry either. As collectors we spend far too much time focusing on "1st appearances" with dreadful artwork/stories or just cool covers in the CGC era (i.e. FF 112 and I am as guilty as anyone). Books like GL 76 and Bat 232 deserve to be highly collected and paid good money for, both are great books that have the whole package, much moreso in my opinion then the tons of other books out there.

(thumbs u

I still have no problem with that price. I don't care how many people press that book, color breaking creases can't be pressed out. green covers show them easily and as a result, this book will always be rare. The print run on the title helps too.

Wow. I never dreamed it would break $30K

I would have been far more surprised if this had ended around $15K as some were suggesting. I thought more in the $25K neighborhood but $30K is not that surprising given the stature of the book.

This is also a legit sale given that the book was owned by Ewert and everyone knows it's already been potentialized. So I guess that the crazy prices being achieved these days aren't just a bunch of pressers looking to upgrade books.

It's a Ewert book? Did it get sent back in & get a clean bill of health?

Along with a 9.2, 9.0 and 8.5. It will be interesting to see how having four nice copies of the book up at the same time impacts their prices in grade relative to GPA. If I recall correctly, a lowly 8.5 brought in ~$1100 last Focused Auction so it will be interesting to see if this one can come close to that as well.

I think it will be interesting, but I'm not sure the $30k paid for a 9.6 will have anything but a positive effect on the prices of the lower tier grades -- that is until another 9.6 hits and a few more 9.4s are unearthed.

3 more? wow. so many of us were so wrong about its scarcity. we believed given its low print run etc that it would be the exception. Can anything be scarce anymore once word gets out and prices soar? And they all cant be fixed 9.2s... pretty sobering really.

Maybe some are 9.4s that were unsuccessfully resubbed in hopes of getting a 9.6, and the original 9.4 wasn't removed from the Census?

Rather than a gold rush for more 9.4s, the gold rush I see right now is to find another 9.6 copy. That's real money that we're talking about now.

Maybe some are 9.4s that were unsuccessfully resubbed in hopes of getting a 9.6, and the original 9.4 wasn't removed from the Census?

Rather than a gold rush for more 9.4s, the gold rush I see right now is to find another 9.6 copy. That's real money that we're talking about now.

Yep... I'm wondering the same myself... resubs of pre existing 9.4s -- even if there are 25 9.4s, I think the market can handle it, but agree the price will stabilize more in the $6-$7k range... still 9.2s, 9.0s and 8.5s seem to be holding up.

Yep... I'm wondering the same myself... resubs of pre existing 9.4s -- even if there are 25 9.4s, I think the market can handle it, but agree the price will stabilize more in the $6-$7k range... still 9.2s, 9.0s and 8.5s seem to be holding up.

I think it was more of a press, resub, and pray for a 9.6.

I would also bet that at least one of the new 9.4s is a pressed 9.2. :baiting:

I don't think 9.4's are worth more than $2K. They are kind of getting crowded on the census.....

I agree with the ideas presented here... crowded on the census with ghosts, is the way to look at it. I think you guys may be right. The census 9.4 copies may be half ghosts left in limbo in attempts to jump to 9.6 cause thats a lucrative target to hit... It sure would be nice to know for sure. Just another challenge in interpreting Census data.