• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

you know what I mean.. to many of us, "scarce" is half a dozen, tops. And thats what we thought we had with GL76, when, given its vintage, there ought to have been many more around.

HUlk 181 isnt the best analogy as it was a MHII warehouse book, and came out 5-6 years later into an increasingly aware collector base that not only hoarded multiples, but preserved all comics.

Anyway. yes 16 isnt a scary amount, but in one year the supply has tripled.

Im going to choose to believe that many of these recent 9.4s hits are failed 9.6 gambits. and that this book slipped thru the collector radar with very few NM copies extant.

Given that there were only a handful, did anyone manage to collect scans of the 5 NM copies, and maybe the NM- ones as well? that would clear this up.

But down from the highs last year. As more copies come up for sale I expect this book to settle in the $6K - $7K range. However, it should see a bit of a spike once the movie hype hits in full force next year.

Wow, nice price for the GL #76 9.0 White pages on Heritage today - $1700 + BP = $2031.50.

My guess is that they figure this can be pressed into a 9.2/9.4?

hm

wonder if that's the one I just sold on the bay.

Wow, nice price for the GL #76 9.0 White pages on Heritage today - $1700 + BP = $2031.50.

hm

wonder if that's the one I just sold on the bay.

How much did you sell it for?

This pressing game is ridiculous. Without fail every auction there are a couple books which just have incredibly stupid prices on them befitting the grade. Obviously there are some in the know who think the book is a definite upgrade candidate and go balls out trying to get the book. The sad trickle down effect is then seeing all the people who have copies in the same grade as that copy attempting to sell the book for near what the "upgradable" book sold for. It makes GPA numbers useless and confuses the market.

Anyway check out the 9.4 in the recent Clink auction, that looks to be one of the nicest copies you ll find of the book. Almost perfect alignment.

Anyway check out the 9.4 in the recent Clink auction, that looks to be one of the nicest copies you ll find of the book. Almost perfect alignment.

It definitely caught my eye. Does anyone know if it`s a pressed and resubbed version of a 9.0 or 9.2 book?

Looking at the fact that it has a couple of very noticeable color breaking spine dings, it might have been. I guess you would have to see it in hand (or a larger scan) to tell if it was or not.

Updated GL 76 census #'s are as follows (410 total copies):

9.8 or higher - 0

9.6 - 1

9.4 - 18 (1 is restored)

9.2 - 33 (1 sig series, 4 resto)

9.0 - 43 (1 Qualified, 6 resto)