• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

Looking at the fact that it has a couple of very noticeable color breaking spine dings, it might have been. I guess you would have to see it in hand (or a larger scan) to tell if it was or not.

Have I missed something lately? Since when are you able to tell if a book has been pressed from a large scan or even slab in hand?

Updated GL 76 census #'s are as follows (410 total copies):

9.8 or higher - 0

9.6 - 1

9.4 - 18 (1 is restored)

9.2 - 33 (1 sig series, 4 resto)

9.0 - 43 (1 Qualified, 6 resto)

I'm still shocked that only 1 9.6 has been slabed out of over 400 subs. I guess every 9.0 can't be pressed into a 9.6 hm

I'm still shocked that only 1 9.6 has been slabed out of over 400 subs. I guess every 9.0 can't be pressed into a 9.6 hm

Me too.

1 and only 1 since we first started tracking the census on this book (in this thread) back in 06.

I'm also surprised at the submitted copies number. 223 (IIRC) when we first posted census. Now up to 410. Not even 200 submissions in almost 3 years on a book that's a cash cow if you can hit in the 9's.

Looking at the fact that it has a couple of very noticeable color breaking spine dings, it might have been. I guess you would have to see it in hand (or a larger scan) to tell if it was or not.

Have I missed something lately? Since when are you able to tell if a book has been pressed from a large scan or even slab in hand?

No, you didn't miss anything. Just some books can be identified, even with a new label (FF#3 Ewert copy, etc...). I'm pretty sure I could identify my Hulk 181 even though it has a new grade.

Anyway check out the 9.4 in the recent Clink auction, that looks to be one of the nicest copies you ll find of the book. Almost perfect alignment.

Does anyone know if it`s a pressed and resubbed version of a 9.0 or 9.2 book?

at this stage unless i hear otherwise, i just assume they all are and bid accordingly.

Me too.

1 and only 1 since we first started tracking the census on this book (in this thread) back in 06.

I'm also surprised at the submitted copies number. 223 (IIRC) when we first posted census. Now up to 410. Not even 200 submissions in almost 3 years on a book that's a cash cow if you can hit in the 9's.

These census numbers look more like an early silver key than a bronze key. Lots of subs but not much at the high end. I can't think of any other bronze books where the census is even remotely like this.

Looking at the heavier spine dings on the book would give you a clue. Even in a slab, there should be a noticeable bend accompanying ones like that. If there is no bend then it has likely been pressed. I have sent in 10 - 12 books with different wear/damage over the past 3 years for pressing to see what the clues (and potential results) are, and this is one thing that I noticed on all of the ones with heavier spine creases after pressing and slabbing.

You can pick out corner crunches that have been pressed pretty easily in the slab (Worldwide Comics had an early GL I was interested in at the SDCC but the pressed corner crunch was too obvious even though I knew going in it had a 99% chance of being pressed).

Depending on how careless they are with the press job you can also see faint signs/mark on the front cover (dark covers are better for this) holding the book at an angle in decent light (I have bought several books like this).

Even though I think that slabbing presses books to a certain extent, there is a noticeable difference in spine thickness/roundness between slabbed books that have been pressed and those that were not as well.

However, the best thing to do IMHO is to suspect that all slabbed books you buy second hand have been pressed and don't worry about it.

Me too.

These census numbers look more like an early silver key than a bronze key. Lots of subs but not much at the high end. I can't think of any other bronze books where the census is even remotely like this.

I would expect more to surface eventually. At the SDCC I found out that a recent 9.4 that was auctioned came from a board member who stumbled across the book going through some disorganized boxes. It was not pressed (possible opportunity?) and when it came back as a 9.4 he sold decided to part with it. My guess is that there are other dealers and long term HG collectors with 9.4/potential 9.6 copies sitting in their personal collections (I know of one dealer who has 2 copies in this shape). Granted, it will not be a huge number, but sooner or later more 9.6s and probably a 9.8 will have to pop up on the census (and they will likely not be pressed and resubbed copies).

Me too.

I would expect more to surface eventually. At the SDCC I found out that a recent 9.4 that was auctioned came from a board member who stumbled across the book going through some disorganized boxes. It was not pressed (possible opportunity?) and when it came back as a 9.4 he sold decided to part with it. My guess is that there are other dealers and long term HG collectors with 9.4/potential 9.6 copies sitting in their personal collections (I know of one dealer who has 2 copies in this shape). Granted, it will not be a huge number, but sooner or later more 9.6s and probably a 9.8 will have to pop up on the census (and they will likely not be pressed and resubbed copies).

I don't think anyone is under the delusion that there will be no more 9.6s ever or even 9.8s. Regardless of what may or may not still be out there, 1 9.6 and no 9.8s out of over 400 submissions is a staggeringly low number for a main stream bronze age book.

I don't think anyone is under the delusion that there will be no more 9.6s ever or even 9.8s. Regardless of what may or may not still be out there, 1 9.6 and no 9.8s out of over 400 submissions is a staggeringly low number for a main stream bronze age book.

Agreed. Isn't it funny that SC #22 and GL #76 are possibly the toughest DC keys to find in high grade from their respective time periods?

Anyway check out the 9.4 in the recent Clink auction, that looks to be one of the nicest copies you ll find of the book. Almost perfect alignment.

at this stage unless i hear otherwise, i just assume they all are and bid accordingly.

True, but I'm looking at it the other way. If I could get confirmation that it's never been pressed, and given it's excellent centering, I might finally aggressively go after a copy.

Me too.

Funny how different people can look at the same data and come away with completely different opinions. When I see huge census numbers like 18 9.4 copies and 33 9.2 copies, my interest in the book plummets.

I understand they're not huge numbers for a BA book, but they are huge for a BA book that is still consistently going for over $6-7K in 9.4 on the basis of perceived scarcity in HG.

True, but I'm looking at it the other way. If I could get confirmation that it's never been pressed, and given it's excellent centering, I might finally aggressively go after a copy.

ask josh. lol

Me too.

Funny how different people can look at the same data and come away with completely different opinions. When I see huge census numbers like 18 9.4 copies and 33 9.2 copies, my interest in the book plummets.

I understand they're not huge numbers for a BA book, but they are huge for a BA book that is still consistently going for over $6-7K in 9.4 on the basis of perceived scarcity in HG.

But with most bronze books, 9.6 is the cutoff where prices start to get zany. I think 9.6 is what a lot of people chase for bronze because of the ready availability in 9.4 and below. You can't chase this book in 9.6 and above.

You also have to consider the percentage of 9.4 and up copies based on submissions. We are talking about less than 5% of submissions are coming back 9.4 and 1/4 of a percent are 9.6. Those look like early silver age type census numbers. At least Marvel early silver.

Me too.

But with most bronze books, 9.6 is the cutoff where prices start to get zany. I think 9.6 is what a lot of people chase for bronze because of the ready availability in 9.4 and below. You can't chase this book in 9.6 and above.

You also have to consider the percentage of 9.4 and up copies based on submissions. We are talking about less than 5% of submissions are coming back 9.4 and 1/4 of a percent are 9.6. Those look like early silver age type census numbers. At least Marvel early silver.

Agreed. I consider HG for BA books to start at 9.4, basically the equivalent of 9.0 for a pre 1962 Marvel or DC SA book.