• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

probably the 30K sale opened the roof a lot though. Made anything up to say 20K look reasonable.

I wouldn't pin my hopes this has shattered a ceiling...just a bidder, maybe two, who were foolish enough to jump through the hoops in their determination to "gotta have it".

Nothing to see here but unbridled enthusiaiam....

Jim

I bet you're one of those guys who still complains about gas costing more than 50 cents per gallon! :baiting:

More like $1.50 per gallon... ;)

Jim

The 18K was most likely based on the buyer seeing the book in hand and concluding it can be pressed to a 9.6....and then competing with another buyer(s)who thought the same thing.

I'm sure something like that is happening to this 9.2 old label.

So the old label 9.2 just sold for 6655. I guess the prices are still climbing, what an amazing jump...OW pages to boot..nicely centered, but not perfect though. I thought

I feel lucky I picked mine up last year.

that's >2x the previous high. i really smell bubble on this book.

So the old label 9.2 just sold for 6655. I guess the prices are still climbing, what an amazing jump...OW pages to boot..nicely centered, but not perfect though. I thought

I just sold a 9.2 white pager for less than half of that two months ago. I sold an AF #15 and 4 FF #1's just two weeks before prices took off last year in April too. That seems to be the way with me.

doh!

Or at the very least, we'll be seeing 9.4s in every auction from now on.

What do you mean we will be seeing? It seems like there`s been a 9.4 in close to every auction for the last 3 years!

What do you mean we will be seeing? It seems like there`s been a 9.4 in close to every auction for the last 3 years!

But have they all been different or is it the same guys buying selling the same few books...?

I don't think there are that many resub ghosts.

This book is very similar to Hulk 181 9.8. Maybe not a warehouse find, but there are alot out there.

Just like Hulk 181 9.8, the majority of the books have been slabbed in the last 2 years. Many even before the huge price increases, or before one would have as much incentive to resub them.

Just like this book, there are resub Hulk 181 9.8 ghosts, but the sheer quantity on the census is still mostly due to the fact that they are in ample supply (for GL 76 demand and price are currently increasing). And there are more that surface every year.

I just sold a 9.2 white pager for less than half of that two months ago. I sold an AF #15 and 4 FF #1's just two weeks before prices took off last year in April too. That seems to be the way with me.

doh!

Who would've known that it was going to reach that price though? If I was going to sell mine I would've sold it for around the same amount and thought I got a good price. This one seems high to me, but what do I know..? (shrug)

This book is very similar to Hulk 181 9.8. Maybe not a warehouse find, but there are alot out there.

Just like Hulk 181 9.8, the majority of the books have been slabbed in the last 2 years. Many even before the huge price increases, or before one would have as much incentive to resub them.

Just like this book, there are resub Hulk 181 9.8 ghosts, but the sheer quantity on the census is still mostly due to the fact that they are in ample supply (for GL 76 demand and price are currently increasing). And there are more that surface every year.

Well I'll be happy when my GL 76 9.2 (which I think is nicer than some of these 9.4s I've been seeing) starts commanding the same prices that IH 181 9.8 gets...

Im not sure I agree with the comparison to 181 or your conclusions. For years right here we all discussed and analyzed the oddness that GL76 was so scarce in 9.4+ even as prices kept going up. It was however the aura of scarcity that drove prices. But, many seasoned collectors were of the conclusion that it was a scarce in HG book.

Then suddenly the census starts to swell as the 10K is reached. So whats the truth? Too soon to tell. Im not surprised there are more than 6 or 7 9.4s. But I feel that in the game to get another 9.6, that more than a few of the 18 9.4s now were failed resubs.

181 has thousands of copies out there in HG. Most from the warehouse. GL 76 was a dying title on its last legs with a hail mary creative switch. And it has generally been accepted here that GL/GA success only affected printr runs starting with #79/80 when the snail mail sales returns told a surprised DC they had a hit, and collectors/fans began amassing copies.

Im not sure I agree with the comparison to 181 or your conclusions. For years right here we all discussed and analyzed the oddness that GL76 was so scarce in 9.4+ even as prices kept going up. It was however the aura of scarcity that drove prices. But, many seasoned collectors were of the conclusion that it was a scarce in HG book.

Then suddenly the census starts to swell as the 10K is reached. So whats the truth? Too soon to tell. Im not surprised there are more than 6 or 7 9.4s. But I feel that in the game to get another 9.6, that more than a few of the 18 9.4s now were failed resubs.

I see your point.

Just to present some data, the CC sale of the 9.6 at $30.5k was on 6/20/09. In comparing the current census 9/8/09 with that of 6/24/09, there have been 2 9.4s added.

If resubbing were so prevalent, one might think there would have been more than 2 9.4s added.

Or maybe everyone is resubbing and nicely turning in their old label so as to not affect the census?