• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tb's Mickey Mouse Magazines
3 3

94 posts in this topic

V1#10. Most of the early covers are classic - this is another of my favorites. Pretty book, too: as beautiful at it appears in the scan.

mmm110_1000.jpg

Here's a typical puzzle. Mickey Mouse Magazine was still almost entirely a children's book at this time.

mmm110_1.jpg

I am not sure where the inspiration for this page came from:

mmm110_2.jpg

--------

V1#11. This is a composite of 2 images that got a bit misaligned. The actual book has near perfect edges. Finding early books in this shape is what collecting GA is all about for me! Once again from Jeff Lotman's collection.

mmm111_1000.jpg

Still only a few "comics". The contents were mostly text stories and puzzles.

mmm111_1.jpg

The story below was adapted from the 1935 Silly Symphony "Water Babies". This short had virtually no storyline - it was all about music and cute babies. I like these risky, artistic experiments and how they are reflected in the magazine. Thankfully this particular one had very little impact on the modern comic book format.

mmm111_2.jpg

--------

V1#12.

mmm112_1000.jpg

The most "comic" comics page in the book:

mmm112_1.jpg

--------

This concludes volume 1 which is the hardest to find in nice condition. From V2 the quality of my set improves quite a bit - look forward to sharing those books later.

V1#10. Most of the early covers are classic - this is another of my favorites. Pretty book, too: as beautiful at it appears in the scan.

mmm110_2.jpg

Very fun stuff. That page reminds me of early Dr Suess. Any chance that he had a hand in it. He was born in 1904, so the timing isn't impossible, although Bails' Who's Who doesn't have any comic-book credits for him.

Thanks for posting these.

Jack

- look forward to sharing those books later.

I look forward to seeing them!

These are absolutely wonderful magazines and I especially appreciate you showing interior pages! 893applaud-thumb.gif

TB,

I am late to this party but thanks for sharing! Great stuff.

I got turned onto this thread by the gang over in Show us your Ducks!

Please continue, this is a great journey through a marvelous magazine that I have always wondered about.

mmm110_2.jpg

Very fun stuff. That page reminds me of early Dr Suess. Any chance that he had a hand in it. He was born in 1904, so the timing isn't impossible, although Bails' Who's Who doesn't have any comic-book credits for him.

Thanks for posting these.

Jack

I would bet some serious money this is Dr. Seuss before he was the good Dr.! A quick perusal of Wikipedia shows that this work would have occurred during a period when Mr. Geissel was freelancing and taking on a wide variety of assignments.

And to think that we saw it on Mickey Mouse Magazine!

It’s an old thread but… I just love that MMM issue 5.

The whiteness of the paper is amazing.

Let's bump it again!

With apologies to tb for horning in on his thread ( :foryou: ), here are mine.

lf_zpsde864839.jpeg

RAD0402A2014729_143430_zpsb31da053.jpg

lf_zps56ad5fd1.jpeg

RADE64752013128_125222_zpsfae52013.jpg

lf_zps2b0a6893.jpeg

Just out of curiosity I dug out some of the MM Magazines from around the time that the Snow White cover (V2 #5, February 1938) was published. Starting with the December 1937 issue there's clearly a tie-in with the movie, with interior pages showing Snow White and the Dwarfs around a Christmas-themed fireplace. In January a three-part serial of the story of Snow White starts, concluding in March. April and May issues have nothing substantive inside about Snow White, but there are still plenty of ads pushing various Snow White toys and whatnot-- MM Magazines were pretty relentless.

By June there's not even any ads left; Snow White seems to have pretty much run its course-- but Dopey is still on the cover.

Anybody know offhand when Snow White was playing in the theatres?

Just out of curiosity I dug out some of the MM Magazines from around the time that the Snow White cover (V2 #5, February 1938) was published. Starting with the December 1937 issue there's clearly a tie-in with the movie, with interior pages showing Snow White and the Dwarfs around a Christmas-themed fireplace. In January a three-part serial of the story of Snow White starts, concluding in March. April and May issues have nothing substantive inside about Snow White, but there are still plenty of ads pushing various Snow White toys and whatnot-- MM Magazines were pretty relentless.

By June there's not even any ads left; Snow White seems to have pretty much run its course-- but Dopey is still on the cover.

Anybody know offhand when Snow White was playing in the theatres?

Wikipedia indicates the movie had its premiere in Dec 1937 and went into national release in Feb 1938. My (limited!) understanding of movie releases in those days, though, is that movies typically were not released simultaneously across the country on the same day as they are now. So I would guess that Snow White probably was playing in theaters for most of 1938.