• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have books from the Charles Strong Collection?

4 posts in this topic

This discussion started in the pedigree thread in the General category, but I thought I'd move it over here where it belongs.

In the early 90's, I purchased 4 books from this collection from a CBG ad, Exciting #30, Fighting Yank #5, Thrilling #33 and #38. I can't remember the name of the dealer, I don't think I've seen his name in a long time. The books are amazingly fresh, bright, with great page quality.

As I said in the other thread, Charles Strong was an editor at Nedor who kept a single copy of every book he edited. The books were sold off before anyone even considered designating them a pedigree.

I'm just wondering who else out there has books from this amazing collection. It seems like Nedors from the war years are incredibly tough in high grade.

This discussion started in the pedigree thread in the General category, but I thought I'd move it over here where it belongs.

In the early 90's, I purchased 4 books from this collection from a CBG ad, Exciting #30, Fighting Yank #5, Thrilling #33 and #38. I can't remember the name of the dealer, I don't think I've seen his name in a long time. The books are amazingly fresh, bright, with great page quality.

As I said in the other thread, Charles Strong was an editor at Nedor who kept a single copy of every book he edited. The books were sold off before anyone even considered designating them a pedigree.

I'm just wondering who else out there has books from this amazing collection. It seems like Nedors from the war years are incredibly tough in high grade.

Do you remember how long the runs were? I collect the Schomburg airbrush covers from later in the runs. Specifically the Excitings from 57-66, but I want the Thrillings, Startlings and Wonders, too. It'd be nice to add one of these to my set if they did. Nice provenance and high quality, sounds like my kind of books.

Do you remember how long the runs were? I collect the Schomburg airbrush covers from later in the runs. Specifically the Excitings from 57-66, but I want the Thrillings, Startlings and Wonders, too. It'd be nice to add one of these to my set if they did. Nice provenance and high quality, sounds like my kind of books.

I was so focused on the books from the war years, I honestly don't remember if the runs went long enough to include the airbrush covers. I'll try to find the bio of Charles Strong that I received with the books. I'm pretty sure it mentioned when he left Nedor.

Well, I have a little more info. I used to keep a journal of my comic purchases, and I found entries about the Charles Strong books. I purchased them from Joe Rainone(is he still out there somewhere?). I bought the Fighting Yank #5 in June of '93, which was probably when his CBG ad came out. In November of the same year, I picked up the Exciting #30 and the Thrilling 33 & 38. There's a note in January of '94 that Rainone still has NM/M copies of America's Best #6 and Thrilling #36 from the collection. I should have bought those suckers, but he was asking four times guide, which was quite a premium back then, when it was common to get Mile Highs for 3-4 times guide.

It was fun to look through that old journal, not just for the books I bought, but for the ones I didn't. There's a note in early '91 that Metropolis has NM copies of Action #23 and Detective #66 for $1000 each...but I didn't buy either one. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20...