• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLEANED COMICS IS THE WAY TO GO!!

87 posts in this topic

I have read most posts to my threads about comics restored and I still believe

that cleaning a cover of a comic should not impose a bad result to it's final grade.

If you have a soil or a bad stain that will cause problems down the road to paper,

cleaning the problem should be a blessing,as future problems will be fixed for the next collector.

Nothing was added to the book and it wiil last longer.

People should realize the difference between adding to the book and the difference in preserving which is done to all paper antiques.

Seriously, what is your deal with this stuff? You have posted this over and over again..now you are creating a whole new topic just so you can so the same thing again? Really, how many cleaned and pressed books do you have and who are you trying to dump them on??

Brian

......i agree with you that the preservation of very old books is a good thing............the trouble with a lot of the restoration on silver and bronze books (which i collect) is that it is done for cosmetic reasons rather than for preservation purposes..............

Since I'm the guy standing up, I guess greggy is the one sitting down. As you can tell he seems a little antsy & is trying to hide his boner. Make no mistake fellas, that's not white hair. He accidentally got that shot of "jizz" while going down on ablue the other in the previous issue of HOLLYWOOD !. hahahahhaha tongue.gif

STOP GAWKING YOU PERV!!! mad.gif HAHAHHAA

and we're not gonna rush out to buy your freakish resto books no matter how long you keep typing.

CI - you keep predicting the end of the hobby with CGC. I can certainly see the end of the high prices for most SA/BA and Modern items. But for GA/AA books? It is a totally different market. Cleaning and pressing will ultimately prove to be acceptable. (It already is a lot more than the later books).To say a book that is just cleaned or cleaned/pressed is a "freakish resto" book does not address or even acknowledge the GA/AA aspect of the market. Which this thread is in (GA). Am I saying a cleaned/pressed book in, say, VF, will bring the same as a raw VF? Nope. but I AM saying that in this genre the rules will prove to be different than fopr the SA and later books.

As for me, I will buy those cleaned/pressed "freakish resto" (what the hell does that really mean anyway? A less tha insightful expression.) I can get them cheaper now than non-cleaned/pressed books. Often a lot cheaper. And in a few years while you are crowing your modernish predictions I'll be sitting back and feeling ok.

I think this guy is on the cover of the Comic book from "HOLLYWOOD"

The damned thing is not a comic book. It is a paperback. What the hell is it even DOING in this forum? I think I'll start posting my paperback collection and asking for grades and price opinions etc.

How about the poor consigner who sent in a Gr Lantern 1 (1960) cgc 8.0 Green label UNrestored except the STAPLES had been cleaned (of a little corrosion?)?. Probably realized 1/2 or less of UNrestored mkt value due to Green label in Heritage Oct/02 Signature auction. Nasty.

The day that you Bronze-and-Modern-myopic bigot ignoramuses can sit down in front of two unslabbed copies of Hulk 181--one unrestored and the other cleaned and pressed--and identify which is which, that's the day your opinions on something you're almost entirely ignorant about will be any less than 80% to 90% worthlessly biased and uninformed. Until then, it's mostly coming out of the wrong end of your body.

The rudeness in my paragraph above is intentional, and it's in direct response to the implicit rudeness when you repeatedly, time after time, thrust half-informed ideas upon other people. Since you're mostly a Bronze/Modern collector, your lack of interest in the topic of restoration/conservation is understandable; it's intensely boring to the vast majority of people. What's not understandable is your eager willingness to repeatedly voice opinions on topics which you have very little interest in or understanding of.

I thought I had a big ego. Then YOU came into my life! I feel so much more humble now. tongue.gif

Thank's FF for your support. I don't respond to those that only walk with deaf ears and are totally uninformed. So they can say what they want but I will always have my say about what I think as this is a board to discuss comics and collectors thoughts.

As for brian PLEASE mind your own business!! If you don't like what I say don't read it!! And no, I don't own many books I am just trying to express my views. mad.gifwink.gif

Just b/c Cgc feels that clean & pressed = resto, does not mean over 50% of the silver/gold collectors feel they r correct. Now is a gr8 opportunity to scoop up silver/gold bks that have been deemed slight pro resto by cgc for 1/2 to 75% off condition guide. 10 yrs ago at Sotheby's, cleaned & pressed was NOT deemed resto by the esteemed grading committee. Don't think it should be resto now if nothing was added to the comic.

In reality, I imagine that cleaned and pressed books are the ultimate in REVERSIBLE restoration/conservation. You don't even need ephemera archival expertise to do it! Just take the book out of the mylar, bag, or slab, read it a few times with unwashed hands, leave it out on the coffee table to accumulate some added household dust, add some extra filth in some light colored cover areas, and your UN-restoration procedure is complete, and the book should theoretically be ready for re-slabbing as a proud member of the blue-top community.

PS: I think that the "viewing cabinet" that was mentioned on one of those UV-Light links, may be the unit that is pictured in that CGC photo with the fader/slider on top. Those small Black-light bulb units probably fit into a clamp or holder under the top of that square shaped viewing box. Definitely a great item, which eliminates the necessity to turn off all other light sources in the room.