• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLEANED COMICS IS THE WAY TO GO!!

87 posts in this topic

CGC hasn't eliminated ignorance of what restoration is and how to detect it, but they have eliminated the fear of restoration when buying slabbed comics. In fact, it's not difficult to argue that CGC has unintentionally spread the ignorant views. I strongly believe this wasn't their intent, but the Purple label has become the physical symbol of the fear of restoration collectors have been building up for over a decade.

ANY unslabbed comic worth over $100 could be restored, and since not every comic is slabbed, the fear remains. Extended fear breeds loathing; collectors who have lost hundreds or thousands of dollars to restoration typically don't want anything to do with restoration. To them, restoration is a mark of a criminal action. It's a shame that perception has become prevalent, but thanks to the greedy slight restorers, that's the way the market is right now.

Undisclosed restoration isn't a huge problem in Bronze age titles except the keys, but over the next 10-20 years, a lot of Bronze books will get cut up also. Restoration detection is a skill ANY high-grade vintage collector should possess.

The truth of something as complex as a market with tens or hundreds of thousands of people in it isn't possible to summarize in a nutshell, but I do think that's the primary reason out of about 6 to 12 reasons why they're worth less than they were 10-15 years ago. The 1990s is when it started to become common knowledge amongst vintage comics collectors that people were slightly restoring FN to VF books without disclosing the work to maximize their profits.

I totally agree with FF and Matt, who are obviously guys who love comics, who love the smell of an ancient treasure freshly dug out of an attic, who appreciate comics as something more than certified pieces of plastic to be bought and sold like stocks. For the real collectors, a restored book is a great thing to have. A book that is falling apart in one's hands can be transformed into an attractive comic. Another thing to keep in mind is that Golden Age books are really rare. Maybe one can avoid restored books in the Silver and Bronze markets, but in the GA market, one might wait months or years for a particularly rare book to surface, and when it does it will surely be bought, restored or not. Finally, I think that the anti-restoration guys on this forum should stop calling restored books "freakish restos" or "cyborg" books, which is just a childish denigration of something that many collectors highly value.

I totally agree with FF and Matt, who are obviously guys who love comics, who love the smell of an ancient treasure freshly dug out of an attic, who appreciate comics as something more than certified pieces of plastic to be bought and sold like stocks. For the real collectors, a restored book is a great thing to have. A book that is falling apart in one's hands can be transformed into an attractive comic. Another thing to keep in mind is that Golden Age books are really rare. Maybe one can avoid restored books in the Silver and Bronze markets, but in the GA market, one might wait months or years for a particularly rare book to surface, and when it does it will surely be bought, restored or not. Finally, I think that the anti-restoration guys on this forum should stop calling restored books "freakish restos" or "cyborg" books, which is just a childish denigration of something that many collectors highly value.

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

WTF??? I totally did not see this coming!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

WTF??? I totally did not see this coming!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

love4.gif

But....didn't the guy agree with FF and Matt? I didn't read any reference to ablue! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

love4.gif

But....didn't the guy agree with FF and Matt? I didn't read any reference to ablue! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey! I thought you were still working ther graveyard shift! sumo.gif

Hey! I thought you were still working ther graveyard shift!

Nah...I prefer to work my own graveyard shift. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

love4.gif

Correction the graveyard shift

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

love4.gif

Considering the graveyard shift does no cover 9:15 PM, I guess the answer is pretty obvious! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

love4.gif

It was still my post 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

love4.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

love2.gif

OK...BOC, I'll leave it up to you to keep this thread going! sumo.gif

Yehaa!!!

I finally have a fan!!

love4.gif

Considering the graveyard shift does no cover 9:15 PM, I guess the answer is pretty obvious! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

no cover ?? or not cover, yur getting tired buddy makepoint.gif