• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your favorite Golden Age Classic Covers !!

266 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying that I have been a long time reader of the CGC forums and have learned a lot about the hobby from the different collectors who post here. I have collected comic books for over 20 years, much of that time devoted to silver and bronze age. Over the last few years I have developed a passion for golden age books and have made this my main focus. I do not have a large collection of golden age books yet but have been fortunate to pick up some of my grails. The topics on these forums that involve favorite covers or artists are the ones I enjoy the most. I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post scans of your comics and I will be doing the same very soon.

Ken

popcorn.gif Definitely looking forward to seeing your scans.

Posting Instructions

Ken...welcome! flowerred.gif

You are off to a much better start than I was ! 27_laughing.gif (this is kind of an inside joke for others reading this...check out the 1st 5 pages of the thread "Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman" and you'll see what I mean)

Steve

27_laughing.gif That is an understatement. I must say, You have started three other threads since then, that I very much enjoy, and I am willing to forgive you for the OO thing.

Mike

You are off to a much better start than I was ! 27_laughing.gif (this is kind of an inside joke for others reading this...check out the 1st 5 pages of the thread "Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman" and you'll see what I mean)

Steve

27_laughing.gif That is an understatement. I must say, You have started three other threads since then, that I very much enjoy, and I am willing to forgive you for the OO thing.

Mike

You see Ken, it's like this...........when I decided to become active on the Boards about 5 months ago or so, I dove right in after only reading a few posts, and started my own thread. Never got a feel for the Boards, learned the unspoken rules ( there are alot by the way), just plunged in head 1st holding my nose and had my eyes closed.

That normally would be OK, except I choose a very contraversial subject that I had no idea would be so contraversial until I was deep into it...fighting for air to stay alive!

In the market I focus on - Platinum and Victorian Age keys, there is no bigger book than Obadiah Oldbuck...it is a true Grail in that world.....well, guess what? This ain't that world..this is a Golden Age thread, and my Grail was more like a piece of overpriced Fools Gold to the members of this GA community. I went from "wow, I can't believe Showcase-4 has 3 copies of Oldbuck!" to "there's a sucker born every minute" overnight. That triggered me to get very defensive, and not care what people on the Boards thought because they didn't know what they were talking about, etc etc.

But they do know, and I do care what they think, and I like the Boards, and value everyones opinion that posts here. These are now my GA cyberspace friends acclaim.gif

Let me start off by saying that I have been a long time reader of the CGC forums and have learned a lot about the hobby from the different collectors who post here. I have collected comic books for over 20 years, much of that time devoted to silver and bronze age. Over the last few years I have developed a passion for golden age books and have made this my main focus. I do not have a large collection of golden age books yet but have been fortunate to pick up some of my grails. The topics on these forums that involve favorite covers or artists are the ones I enjoy the most. I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post scans of your comics and I will be doing the same very soon.

Ken

Ken, welcome to the boards! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You back story sounds a lot like my own and a number of other former Silver and Bronze guys converted to GA. Like you I just started getting into GA a few years ago and still have only a very modest collection so far (especially compared to some of the heavyweights here), but I'm working on it.

So, let's see some scans!!

Steve

Mike

You see Ken, it's like this...........when I decided to become active on the Boards about 5 months ago or so, I dove right in after only reading a few posts, and started my own thread. Never got a feel for the Boards, learned the unspoken rules ( there are alot by the way), just plunged in head 1st holding my nose and had my eyes closed.

That normally would be OK, except I choose a very contraversial subject that I had no idea would be so contraversial until I was deep into it...fighting for air to stay alive!

In the market I focus on - Platinum and Victorian Age keys, there is no bigger book than Obadiah Oldbuck...it is a true Grail in that world.....well, guess what? This ain't that world..this is a Golden Age thread, and my Grail was more like a piece of overpriced Fools Gold to the members of this GA community. I went from "wow, I can't believe Showcase-4 has 3 copies of Oldbuck!" to "there's a sucker born every minute" overnight. That triggered me to get very defensive, and not care what people on the Boards thought because they didn't know what they were talking about, etc etc.

But they do know, and I do care what they think, and I like the Boards, and value everyones opinion that posts here. These are now my GA cyberspace friends acclaim.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

BTW Welcome to the boards Ken. I hope that you post some scans of your books.

I have had an affinity for many different types of paper collectibles and although comic books are my main interest, I collect other things such as 1930's and 40's Saturday Evening Posts with Rockwell and Leyendecker covers. These magazines get almost no reaction from some comic collectors that I know, yet it is very hard to find them in high grade with no mailing labels. So I can understand how easy it would be to get defensive about something as scarce as the victorian age books you collect when others don't appreciate them. I simply enjoy learing about many areas of collecting and finding new treasures to add to my list of "must haves". I should be able to figure out how to post scans this weekend. I set up an account with Photobucket, but have not yet tried to post a scan.

Ken

Steve

Mike

I think you and Bob have made some great points. It seems like some people were baiting you at first.

I collect other things such as 1930's and 40's Saturday Evening Posts with Rockwell and Leyendecker covers. [/quote}

When you start scanning, feel free to scan a few of them. I love the work of both of those artists!

okay raise your hand if you have seen this cover

I can't - that's a first time viewing for me.

....i think Crandall did a great cover image....

Agreed - really nice book, Jon (Church copy, of course). hail.gif

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

OK, hopefully this will work. Trying to post my first scan.

Ken, it worked fine. You can click on the photobucket url link and then copy and paste it to this board between and so the pic loads here.

And having seen the Hit 11 in person last month when Ken and I got together to geek over books, I can attest that the scan doesn't do the book justice (it's a sweet copy).

STEVE (make mine Larson)