• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all you folks who paid THOUSANDS for HG Hulk 181...
2 2

75 posts in this topic

This is a real shame. What I cant believe is that people STILL pay so much for high grade CGC Hulk 181's. Please take a look at the census on this BEFORE you bid so much. There are SOOOO many of them in high grade. IT IS INSANITY TO PAY MORE THAN $1k for this book.

http://www.cgccomics.com/poplookup/grades_standard.asp?title=Incredible+Hulk+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&publisher=Marvel+Comics++++++++++++&issue=181++++&year=1974

You're right. That is ridiculous. The problem is, with Overstreet and dealers paying that much attention to Hulk 181 as the keyest of key bronze issues, people are going to keep speculatin'....

You won't find me paying thousands for a copy...

(Although how to God I wish I would have been old enough, and had the foresight, to pick up a box of them back in the 70s....) smirk.gif

(Although how to God I wish I would have been old enough, and had the foresight, to pick up a box of them back in the 70s....) smirk.gif

I was collecting comics back then as a boy and the ony book i purchased at the candy store EVERY week was Hulk. I purchased the complete Hulk run from 150 to 300 at the same candy store. Unfortunately that run only had 1 key issue while i was collecting and FOR SOME DAMN REASON I HAVE EVERY BOOK BUT HULK 181. I have Hulk 180, and 182 but i guess i must have spent my 25c on gum that week instead of comics. If i had collected Spiderman, i would have a more valueable collection today. But that is not why i am a collector...

Hulk 181 is also one of the most commonly flipped books. I see speculators buying it up, slabbing it, and reflipping it. Then another collector will come along buy it wait a few months then flip it again. I've been watching 181 sales for at least a couple years now and i've seen the same books relisted by different sellers. Personally, i'll be happy to wait a few more years to see how much the book grows. Hulk 181 is still no amazing fantasy 15, there are way more high grade copies of hulk 181 out there. I'm not sure how long the demand will keep going for this book. A lot of "new" collectors won't be retroactively seeking hulk 181.

I am under the same opinion. CGC is too new to pay 2 to 3 thousand dollars for a CGC 9.4 Hulk 181. I am waiting a few years before I will buy one. In a couple years there could be well over 1,000 9.4's graded by CGC. Eventually, most CGC 9.4's will sell for Overstreet guide 9.4 prices depending on the forseen scarcity obviously. Hulk 181 is not scarce in high grade it appears unlike Green Lantern 76 which should command a premium in 9.4 given so little of them available.

Census analysis provides a great assessment of supply of the book. It does nothing to address demand.

Without a crystal ball, it is nearly impossible to make predictions about this book. Just ask the folks who ridiculed Bruce for paying top market prices for 2 9.6s in the last couple of years, only to watch the value of the book climb higher. It has certainly had the opportunity to soften over the past year, but hasn't.

If Wolverine suddenly becomes the least favorite character in the Marvel universe.. the book is in for a world of hurt. The chances of him becoming very unfavorable.. minimal.. the chances of this book plummetting.. minimal.. the chances of this book adjusting some due to the "look" of a large supply? Probable.

Brian

Census analysis provides a great assessment of supply of the book. It does nothing to address demand.

Without a crystal ball, it is nearly impossible to make predictions about this book. Just ask the folks who ridiculed Bruce for paying top market prices for 2 9.6s in the last couple of years, only to watch the value of the book climb higher. It has certainly had the opportunity to soften over the past year, but hasn't.

A few things that have created upward trends for this book in the past year..

1) The x-men movies

2) Constant crossover of Wolverine. Even more than the early 90's era.

3) Renewed interest in the comic market via CGC.

Where can i find the guys witht he 7.5's, I'll take one of those thanks. I still think there are more "Speculators" submiting books than collectors.

Money, Money, Money.........................what happened to just collecting what you like. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know it is funny we are talking about high grades here and I dont mean to 893offtopic1.gif but this book in the raw fine or lower has doubled in the last 3-4 months it seems to have sliped a little but not to much.I wonder if those people that bought this book as a lower grade will be looking to upgrade to high grade maybe sometime in the next few years.If they do expect hugh price jumps as that is why it is at where it is at now.Also for another few things about this book with a Wolverine Solo in the future and another X men 3 in less then 2 years the book is going to be real solid for quite a few more years.I think there are a lot more surprises on this book coming our way and I think it will be on the way up.If there are so many strict raw 9.4 out there where are they? I want to buy some!

Davidking623

I'm 32 and remember when Hulk 181 was $40.00 all day long. Nobody ever dreamed of buying , much less preserving the DC Gothic romance books and I was the only guy in town selling Cap 100's for $30.oo. This was probably 1986. Jeez...whish I would have......

When you "old" timers talk about stuff like this it brings a tear to my eye. Sometimes I think I got into this hobby in the wrong era. I got into collecting when I was around 12 years old in 1990. Hulk #181 had already began its gradual price guide ascent back then and I just didn't have the money or connections to buy up HG copies of it. I believe even battered copies were selling for $150+ in my area at the time which was still astronomical.

On the otherhand (hypothetically speaking) if I was a teen collecting in the 80's i'm certain I would have probably snatched up a lot of those bronze/silver back issues everyone spends a grip of cash on now. Hell, even during the 90's as a kid I was a pretty tenacious at finding some of those cheaper bronze backissues.

Sigh.

I'm 32 and remember when Hulk 181 was $40.00 all day long. Nobody ever dreamed of buying , much less preserving the DC Gothic romance books and I was the only guy in town selling Cap 100's for $30.oo. This was probably 1986. Jeez...whish I would have......

On the otherhand (hypothetically speaking) if I was a teen collecting in the 80's i'm certain I would have probably snatched up a lot of those bronze/silver back issues everyone spends a grip of cash on now. Hell, even during the 90's as a kid I was a pretty tenacious at finding some of those cheaper bronze backissues.

Sigh.

I'm not sure. I was a teen in the 80s and for some reason didn't even think about collecting back, back issues. I was more focused on the new stuff.

Don't I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person crazy.gif

Double, double sigh.

Here's the problem.

There is a $40.00 comic out there right now that will sell for $1000.00 in about 20 years. I don't know which one it will be. If I did (know for sure) I'd get in line for my 10 or 20 copies. And sure, you can say it'll never happen and it will sound very much like all those 80's collectors that said Bronze Age will never be worth anything.

You're in the same environment now as we were back then.

It's not too late.

Go for it. grin.gif

"There is a $40.00 comic out there right now that will sell for $1000.00 in about 20 years. I don't know which one it will be. If I did (know for sure) I'd get in line for my 10 or 20 copies. And sure, you can say it'll never happen and it will sound very much like all those 80's collectors that said Bronze Age will never be worth anything.

You're in the same environment now as we were back then."

There are many $1000.00 books out there now that will sell for $40.00 in about 20 years. I don't know which ones they are. If I did (know for sure), I'd sell short 10 or 20 copies of each. And sure, you can say it'll never happen and it will sound very much like all those perma-bull speculator day-traders in 1999 and 2000 that said the Nasdaq would go to 10,000 and the Dow would go to 36,000.

You're in the same speculative, hope & greed-driven environment now as we were back then. tongue.giftongue.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Gene

"There is a $40.00 comic out there right now that will sell for $1000.00 in about 20 years. I don't know which one it will be. If I did (know for sure) I'd get in line for my 10 or 20 copies. And sure, you can say it'll never happen and it will sound very much like all those 80's collectors that said Bronze Age will never be worth anything.

There are many $1000.00 books out there now that will sell for $40.00 in about 20 years. I don't know which ones they are. If I did (know for sure), I'd sell short 10 or 20 copies of each. And sure, you can say it'll never happen and it will sound very much like all those perma-bull speculator day-traders in 1999 and 2000 that said the Nasdaq would go to 10,000 and the Dow would go to 36,000.

You're in the same speculative, hope & greed-driven environment now as we were back then. tongue.giftongue.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Gene

893Funny-thumb.gif

Gene

Where is Collector Joe I really miss you two team tagging this kind of deal!!!!!!

Davidking623

Gene

That's the reason I don't invest in comics. And that's the reason why a lot of people didn't load up on Hulk 181's either. For every guy that is positive, there's an "anti-monitor" that says different. Bottom line?

You just don't know.