• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Label vs New Label

222 posts in this topic

I haven't noticed any consistent difference in prices realized for new or old blue labels.

Personally, I prefer the old ones - CGC was definitely tougher on page quality in its early days, and the books are a bit less likely to have been cleaned or pressed. On the other hand, the older books are more likely to have traded hands many times, and having been mailed repeatedly may be more prone to being damaged within the slab.

Newbie here....

This question may have been asked, but what's the difference between the old cgc labels and the new ones. confused-smiley-013.gif Looking at them on Ebay, it seems the comics with the new labels are more desired.

hi.gif and WTTB from a fellow NC member.

I think the new labels are far better. The grade is much more visible as the numbers are a much larger print.

No question that the new label design reads and presents better. It's been said that CGC was stricter in the "old label days" in grading and page quality, as Bob said. There seems to be the perception that an "old label 9.4" is better than a "new label 9.4", more legitimate. I've seen arguments for both points in the books I've bought.

I think the new labels are far better. The grade is much more visible as the numbers are a much larger print.

Old school here, and I'd prefer that the numbers not be visible at all...

Never understood why decades of history had to be thrown out and I still refer to books as VF+s and NM-s.

Never understood why decades of history had to be thrown out and I still refer to books as VF+s and NM-s.

Because that system was stupid to begin with 27_laughing.gif With a numerical system even those not as familiar with grading would have an idea to the quality of the book. Everyone would have an idea what a 2.5 out of 10 would look like--although a GD+ would be a mystery to many. "Is it really a "good" book???" The old system was a bad idea from the start.

Because that system was stupid to begin with 27_laughing.gif With a numerical system even those not as familiar with grading would have an idea to the quality of the book. Everyone would have an idea what a 2.5 out of 10 would look like--although a GD+ would be a mystery to many. "Is it really a "good" book???" The old system was a bad idea from the start.

Considering the total lack of 'new blood' coming into the hobby, the numerical system has turned into CGC trying to teach old dogs new tricks.

And the 'bad idea from the start' seemed to work fine and dandy for 25 years, as I'm sure you remember.... yeahok.gif

Considering the total lack of 'new blood' coming into the hobby, the numerical system has turned into CGC trying to teach old dogs new tricks.

And the 'bad idea from the start' seemed to work fine and dandy for 25 years, as I'm sure you remember.... yeahok.gif

By nature of each rating on the old system having no relative value to each other unless the system is learned and studied...what would make it better then a system where all you must know are you numbers from 1 to 10? If you can explain to me how the old system is better with that being said, then you deserve a cookie. headbang.gifpopcorn.gif

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

So can you answer the million dollar question? popcorn.gifhi.gif

thumbsup2.gif

So can you answer the million dollar question? popcorn.gifhi.gif

which one?

By nature of each rating on the old system having no relative value to each other unless the system is learned and studied...what would make it better then a system where all you must know are you numbers from 1 to 10? If you can explain to me how the old system is better with that being said, then you deserve a cookie. headbang.gifpopcorn.gif

Or I could simply turn it on it's head and tell you that I know what is allowable in a VF+, or a VG/FN, because it is all laid out very clearly.

However, what's allowable in an '8.5' or a '7.0'?

You might know the numbers, but nobody except the 'powers that be' actually know what they mean.

QED...the old system must be better than the new.

Or I could simply turn it on it's head and tell you that I know what is allowable in a VF+, or a VG/FN, because it is all laid out very clearly.

The same stuff thats allowable in VF+ or FN/VF...except without a silly, impractical title.

I haven't noticed any consistent difference in prices realized for new or old blue labels.

Personally, I prefer the old ones - CGC was definitely tougher on page quality in its early days, and the books are a bit less likely to have been cleaned or pressed. On the other hand, the older books are more likely to have traded hands many times, and having been mailed repeatedly may be more prone to being damaged within the slab.

In this whole "older" vs "newer" debate - what timeframe are we talking about? When did the "old" label stop being used? Sometime around mid-2003????confused.gif

In this whole "older" vs "newer" debate - what timeframe are we talking about? When did the "old" label stop being used? Sometime around mid-2003????confused.gif

The new label made its debut on August 5th 2003. gossip.gif

The same stuff thats allowable in VF+ or FN/VF...except without a silly, impractical title.

You obviously haven't been looking closely at too many CGC-graded books, then. yeahok.gif