• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Label vs New Label

222 posts in this topic

I like parts of the old & parts of the new.

The new is easier to read while the old provides more info for both old school collectors & newbies to the hobby (grading Numbers & Letters).

One future possibility would be that CGC change the layout again in another few years.

That way if it is done every 5 years or so the buyer can have a rough idea how long the book has been in a particular slab for.

EG. Old slab 1999-2003

New slab 2003-2007

Future slab 2007-2011

This may in its self form a collectible of its own as someone may put together the best known run of Strange tales old slabs.

After several generations of slabs. One may become highly sought after while others are regarded with less interest.

Just a thought.

Russ... confused-smiley-013.gif

The only thing I like about the new label is that the serial numbers are very easy to read. They're almost impossible to read off an old label. I also like the big grade, but I wish they could post the alphabetical grade (in similarly large font) alongside.

The only thing I like about the new label is that the serial numbers are very easy to read. They're almost impossible to read off an old label. I also like the big grade, but I wish they could post the alphabetical grade (in similarly large font) alongside.

thumbsup2.gif

BTW, which part of the world are you in today?

And have you stopped drinking yet? tongue.gif

I'm back in HK and haven't had the faintest desire to touch a drop of alcohol, after that 4-day drinking marathon capped off with all those bitters I consumed with you lot! cool.gif

I'm back in HK and haven't had the faintest desire to touch a drop of alcohol, after that 4-day drinking marathon capped off with all those bitters I consumed with you lot! cool.gif

Detox! headbang.gif

Considering the total lack of 'new blood' coming into the hobby, the numerical system has turned into CGC trying to teach old dogs new tricks.

And the 'bad idea from the start' seemed to work fine and dandy for 25 years, as I'm sure you remember.... yeahok.gif

Didn't Overstreet also have a ten point system? Or, was that in response to CGC? Either way, I agree totally -- woof, woof, this dog never bit on either ten point system....,

I disagree. I find the new label much easier to read. I can't stand having to squint at scans of old labels trying to decipher the grade. Plus the old serial numbers were impossible to read. Now, I wouldn't be against a letter desgination as well, perhaps beneath the number on the left. I would also want some of the old notation back (i.e. date stamp on cover,etc.). But for overall asthetic appeal I prefer the new label.

Considering the total lack of 'new blood' coming into the hobby, the numerical system has turned into CGC trying to teach old dogs new tricks.

And the 'bad idea from the start' seemed to work fine and dandy for 25 years, as I'm sure you remember.... yeahok.gif

Didn't Overstreet also have a ten point system? Or, was that in response to CGC? Either way, I agree totally -- woof, woof, this dog never bit on either ten point system....,

Overstreet had the ONE (Overstreet Numerical Equivalent) which was a hundred point system, long, long, before CGC was even thought of. As I recall FN was 65, VF was 80 and NM 94, with all numbers beween used. Basically the current system used by CGC (and of course, everyone else) is that one with a little tweaking and simplifying.

I think the new labels are far better. The grade is much more visible as the numbers are a much larger print.

Never understood why decades of history had to be thrown out and I still refer to books as VF+s and NM-s.

Because that system was stupid to begin with 27_laughing.gif With a numerical system even those not as familiar with grading would have an idea to the quality of the book. Everyone would have an idea what a 2.5 out of 10 would look like--although a GD+ would be a mystery to many. "Is it really a "good" book???" The old system was a bad idea from the start.

By nature of each rating on the old system having no relative value to each other unless the system is learned and studied...what would make it better then a system where all you must know are you numbers from 1 to 10? If you can explain to me how the old system is better with that being said, then you deserve a cookie. headbang.gifpopcorn.gif

It would separate the real collectors from the speculators. CGC only dumbed down the label so it would be easier for the speculators to operate. You said it yourself, if "the system is learned and studied" then you'd know what you're doing, and those are the kind of people we want to stay in the hobby. Who cares if speculators get burned? Hopefully that would drive them out of the hobby (Jay Parrino lol).

And if you don't buy that, explain why both grades can't be on the label?

(I already have my opinion, I want to see if our answers match wink.gif)

It would separate the real collectors from the speculators. CGC only dumbed down the label so it would be easier for the speculators to operate. You said it yourself, if "the system is learned and studied" then you'd know what you're doing, and those are the kind of people we want to stay in the hobby.

thumbsup2.gif

Right on the money!

If someone can't figure what a VF- or VG/FN looks like...and need 'Sesame Street' guidelines to help them...they should get the hell out of Dodge.

nooo...we want to grow the pool of collectors! dont be so elitist or you may be the last one left to turn out the lights! I liked the old names and still use them in my collection database, but the new numbers are just as meaningful now.

And the new labels are much better due to the large numerical grade and serial #s that are readable even in tiny ebay scans. It saves a lot of time trying to figure out the grade by not having to click on them. I would like more notations too, but, lets face it, we want them when buying,, but they are a possible impediment when selling. Then again, with 24 9.4s of the same issue to choose from, the notations helps to differentiate and rate them!

I think the new labels are far better. The grade is much more visible as the numbers are a much larger print.

Never understood why decades of history had to be thrown out and I still refer to books as VF+s and NM-s.

Because that system was stupid to begin with 27_laughing.gif With a numerical system even those not as familiar with grading would have an idea to the quality of the book. Everyone would have an idea what a 2.5 out of 10 would look like--although a GD+ would be a mystery to many. "Is it really a "good" book???" The old system was a bad idea from the start.

By nature of each rating on the old system having no relative value to each other unless the system is learned and studied...what would make it better then a system where all you must know are you numbers from 1 to 10? If you can explain to me how the old system is better with that being said, then you deserve a cookie. headbang.gifpopcorn.gif

It would separate the real collectors from the speculators. CGC only dumbed down the label so it would be easier for the speculators to operate. You said it yourself, if "the system is learned and studied" then you'd know what you're doing, and those are the kind of people we want to stay in the hobby. Who cares if speculators get burned? Hopefully that would drive them out of the hobby (Jay Parrino lol).

And if you don't buy that, explain why both grades can't be on the label?

(I already have my opinion, I want to see if our answers match wink.gif)

"Real collectors" or "speculators"? That sounds like comic industry elitist rubbish. It doesn't matter why someone is involved in the hobby--what matters is if they are or are not involved. Personal opinion as to the quality of people involved in the hobby should have no influence on a grading system. screwy.gif When coming up with a system by which an entire industry runs, you want that system to be as user friendly as possible. In general, when something is more complex, there are more things that go wrong with it and more things involved in understanding it. A system is best when even an unfamiliar person can grasp it in a short period of time.

The new label books seem to be in some kind of sleeve, while the old label books are not. Does anyone know what that "sleeve" is made of.

Also, do you keep your slabs upright in a box or keep them lying flat. I'd like to keep them upright, but am concerned that this might damage the bottom of the comic over time (especially the old label books since there is no "sleeve").

Also, welcome to the boards mike! hi.gif

nooo...we want to grow the pool of collectors! dont be so elitist or you may be the last one left to turn out the lights! I liked the old names and still use them in my collection database, but the new numbers are just as meaningful now.

And the new labels are much better due to the large numerical grade and serial #s that are readable even in tiny ebay scans. It saves a lot of time trying to figure out the grade by not having to click on them. I would like more notations too, but, lets face it, we want them when buying,, but they are a possible impediment when selling. Then again, with 24 9.4s of the same issue to choose from, the notations helps to differentiate and rate them!

thumbsup2.gif