• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Label vs New Label

222 posts in this topic

Good point!!!

Hey, that guy's speaking more sense than some of the people in this thread... poke2.gif

he's not fostering constructive discourse, tho

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good point!!!

Hey, that guy's speaking more sense than some of the people in this thread... poke2.gif

he's not fostering constructive discourse, tho

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And it looks like somebody's jealous of the attention wertham gets.

BSD 1 'Hey, how do we get more money across the counters from fat-walleted geeks looking for a killing?'

BSD 2 'Big numbers, man! Get rid of all the alphabet 893censored-thumb.gif and just give 'em big numbers! They love big numbers!

B I N G O!

The removal of the old style grading nomenclature was all about marketing.

1 - The BSDs wanted numbers because it made it easier for specu-investors to understand and gobble up.

2 - The BSDs wanted to remove any negative connotations from the slabs. A 9.2 seems so much more investment worthy than a Near Mint MINUS. Who wants to invest in something that is a minus. insane.gif

And what the BSDs want, they usually get.

Nick, I would of credited you with a bit more sense than above comment.

And Zipperhead, you don't like the NM-, so you hey everyone must love VF+, F+ in comparison ...freakin person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. I've not read a bigger load of manure for a long time.

We have number's, we have letter's...no other options, unless your crediting CGC with moving to Arabic, or Chinese for their next label change. Mentalist's! frustrated.gif

confused.gif

Do you really think CGC sit's around thinking all this stuff up!?!

No they went 'we've done letter's, oh hey how about number's' not freakin rocket science.

confused.gif

No they went 'we've done letter's, oh hey how about number's' not freakin rocket science.

screwy.gif

confused.gif

screwy.gif

Mica, tell me what's really on your mind...you don't like the simplisticly obvious? Your a more complex, thoughtful kind a guy?

confused.gif

screwy.gif

Mica, tell me what's really on your mind...you don't like the simplisticly obvious? Your a more complex, thoughtful kind a guy?

I didn't understand yourself calling him Zipperhead. Perhaps I've missed where he slammed you. confused-smiley-013.gif

And my graemlns were PRECISELY how I felt at the time. smile.gif

Oh well, off to target practice. yay.gif

confused.gif

screwy.gif

I didn't understand yourself calling him Zipperhead. Perhaps I've missed where he slammed you. confused-smiley-013.gif

And my graemlns were PRECISELY how I felt at the time. smile.gif

Oh well, off to target practice. yay.gif

Hey, when did anyone around here actually need due provocation confused-smiley-013.gif

Ok, I'll formally retract zipperhead...but freakin person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point's a permanent fixture.

Hey, Stace!

A. You're way out of line.

...and...

B. You're wrong.

thumbsup2.gif

Not that that's ever stopped you before.

For your information, the reasoning given at the time of the change was so that 'newer collectors' (for that read, 'those that know little but have been attracted in by the prices achieved on these slabbed books recently') were finding it difficult to understand the alpha grading system and that a simple number system, with a higher number denoting a better grade, would help them to figure it out.

I sh!te you not. frown.gif

And at the same time, the 'overwhelming outcry from the industry' (for that read, 'a few of our best buddy dealer friends') was for comments to be limited on the label, as this was 'clouding the issue' (and for this you can read 'some of our books aren't selling quickly enough as the comment about a small tear on the 14th page isn't helping shift it').

Oh, and the other reason given for the 'big numbers' was so that they could be seen on the wall display from the other side of the dealer's table.

The last reason, as laughable as it is, is the only one I can halfway agree with.

Hey, Stace!

A. You're way out of line.

...and...

B. You're wrong.

thumbsup2.gif

Not that that's ever stopped you before.

For your information, the reasoning given at the time of the change was so that 'newer collectors' (for that read, 'those that know little but have been attracted in by the prices achieved on these slabbed books recently') were finding it difficult to understand the alpha grading system and that a simple number system, with a higher number denoting a better grade, would help them to figure it out.

I sh!te you not. frown.gif

And at the same time, the 'overwhelming outcry from the industry' (for that read, 'a few of our best buddy dealer friends') was for comments to be limited on the label, as this was 'clouding the issue' (and for this you can read 'some of our books aren't selling quickly enough as the comment about a small tear on the 14th page isn't helping shift it').

Oh, and the other reason given for the 'big numbers' was so that they could be seen on the wall display from the other side of the dealer's table.

The last reason, as laughable as it is, is the only one I can halfway agree with.

That truly is tragic, with the usual high degree of consideration given to the lowest common denominator, and all happening within the comic fraternity. 893censored-thumb.gif

Something that I see all over the place these days. People giving consideration to the *spoon* with the loud voice. It's just plain *spoon* annoying.

But arguably VF+, and NM- are all all in the 9 something club on only numeric representations, which yes, is something I can quite easily see BSD's giving the thumb's up to.

Admittedly I was rather miffed to see the letter's go completely, and I couldn't fathom why they didn't include them in some small way on the newer labels. It's a piece of comicdom, and to loose them just relegates the whole thing to another number on the front of some collectable encapsulation. ok, the source of my latent frustration is rervealed...I've been quiet miffed for 3 years now! frustrated.gif

I have never given this subject much consideration until now! It is obviously a marketing ploy to maintain the high prices and demand for the CGC product. It really doesn't bother me because a 9.0 will still be a VF/NM to me when I crack it out of the case! CGC knows prices on comics are cyclical so its in their best interest to maintain the upswing as long as possible, hoping that CGC's certified grading will stabilize the market at a high end thus avoiding the usual crashes and therefore ensuing lack of confidence in the CGC product! I expect the downturns in comics to be less severe due to the confidnce in the certifed product and obviously it is critical that CGC accomodate the casual uninformed investor in comics to accomplish this, i do believe them when they see this is A reason for implementing the change but I don't think its the only reason. gossip.gif

Regarding the removal of the Letter Grade:

The quick answer and bottom line here is that the grade needed to be bigger so people could see it from far away. It was a pain, at conventions, to see the grade on the label on a sellers wall from in front of their table. Also, Nomenclature was removed, not only to make the grade bigger but it was fast becoming absolete to many buyers of certified comics. When we give out grades over the phone we don't say 3.5 VG minus, we just say 3.5. It is very rare that I hear a customer talking to me about a grade and saying very fine to near mint, they just say 9.0. Finally, and you may not believe this, but we have gotten calls from people who are new to comics and hate anything with a minus next to it. One guy did not care that his book was a 3.5, he just did not understand why he had a minus sign, what he called a negitive, on his book.

Regarding the removal of the Letter Grade:

The quick answer and bottom line here is that the grade needed to be bigger so people could see it from far away. It was a pain, at conventions, to see the grade on the label on a sellers wall from in front of their table. Also, Nomenclature was removed, not only to make the grade bigger but it was fast becoming absolete to many buyers of certified comics. When we give out grades over the phone we don't say 3.5 VG minus, we just say 3.5. It is very rare that I hear a customer talking to me about a grade and saying very fine to near mint, they just say 9.0. Finally, and you may not believe this, but we have gotten calls from people who are new to comics and hate anything with a minus next to it. One guy did not care that his book was a 3.5, he just did not understand why he had a minus sign, what he called a negitive, on his book.

I'm swift reaching the conclusion that most new 'collectors' are utter m o r o n s.

And short-sighted ones, at that. crazy.gif

BSD 1 'Hey, how do we get more money across the counters from fat-walleted geeks looking for a killing?'

BSD 2 'Big numbers, man! Get rid of all the alphabet 893censored-thumb.gif and just give 'em big numbers! They love big numbers!

B I N G O!

The removal of the old style grading nomenclature was all about marketing.

1 - The BSDs wanted numbers because it made it easier for specu-investors to understand and gobble up.

2 - The BSDs wanted to remove any negative connotations from the slabs. A 9.2 seems so much more investment worthy than a Near Mint MINUS. Who wants to invest in something that is a minus. insane.gif

And what the BSDs want, they usually get.

Nick, I would of credited you with a bit more sense than above comment.

And Zipperhead, you don't like the NM-, so you hey everyone must love VF+, F+ in comparison ...freakin person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. I've not read a bigger load of manure for a long time.

What did I ever do to this guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe it wouldn't sound so bad if it was said with an English accent.

After 3rd grade, is it acceptable to use "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" as an insult?

That truly is tragic, with the usual high degree of consideration given to the lowest common denominator, and all happening within the comic fraternity. 893censored-thumb.gif

Something that I see all over the place these days. People giving consideration to the *spoon* with the loud voice. It's just plain *spoon* annoying.

But arguably VF+, and NM- are all all in the 9 something club on only numeric representations, which yes, is something I can quite easily see BSD's giving the thumb's up to.

Admittedly I was rather miffed to see the letter's go completely, and I couldn't fathom why they didn't include them in some small way on the newer labels. It's a piece of comicdom, and to loose them just relegates the whole thing to another number on the front of some collectable encapsulation. ok, the source of my latent frustration is rervealed...I've been quiet miffed for 3 years now! frustrated.gif

I've got to quote this so, Mr Pym [the genius] can't clean it up later.

Can we get a translation in english tomorrow when you sober up?