• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Label vs New Label

222 posts in this topic

After 3rd grade, is it acceptable to use "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" as an insult?

Yes, but only if it's preceded by the appropriate "freakin" adjective.

In this case, it appears he has followed proper protocol. stooges.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.

For a minute there, I thought I was unfairly attacked by an Internet person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed with keyboard muscles and a profound lack of civility.

BSD 1 'Hey, how do we get more money across the counters from fat-walleted geeks looking for a killing?'

BSD 2 'Big numbers, man! Get rid of all the alphabet 893censored-thumb.gif and just give 'em big numbers! They love big numbers!

B I N G O!

The removal of the old style grading nomenclature was all about marketing.

1 - The BSDs wanted numbers because it made it easier for specu-investors to understand and gobble up.

2 - The BSDs wanted to remove any negative connotations from the slabs. A 9.2 seems so much more investment worthy than a Near Mint MINUS. Who wants to invest in something that is a minus. insane.gif

And what the BSDs want, they usually get.

Nick, I would of credited you with a bit more sense than above comment.

And Zipperhead, you don't like the NM-, so you hey everyone must love VF+, F+ in comparison ...freakin person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. I've not read a bigger load of manure for a long time.

What did I ever do to this guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe it wouldn't sound so bad if it was said with an English accent.

After 3rd grade, is it acceptable to use "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" as an insult?

gossip.gif He's from New Zealand.

And I expect he'll be sending you a full and heartfelt apology for total contradicting the reasons Steve Borock himself gave for the change. yeahok.gif

I wonder if the rest of the world thinks Americans are m o r o n s b/c we stubbornly stick with the old English system of units? Why have something nice, neat, and sensible like 100 cm in a meter and 1,000 meters in a kilometer when you can have 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, and 5,280 feet in a mile!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

Were one to start from scratch, the "Good/Fine/Near Mint" system would seem rather infantile and non-sensical compared to a more descriptive numeric grading system - ever have to explain to a non-comic book collector that "Good" actually means "Not so Good"? 27_laughing.gif

"You mean Good = a 2 out of 10?!?!?" foreheadslap.gif

Change is never easy...as Bob Overstreet must have known when he introduced the numerical grading system in the 1992 Overstreet Price Guide, and when Stephen Fishler and Rob Roter developed and started using their own numerical grading scales, which would later be adopted by CGC. rolleyes.gif

Actually, MIke, you can put your rattle back in your pram. poke2.gif I was referring to...

Finally, and you may not believe this, but we have gotten calls from people who are new to comics and hate anything with a minus next to it. One guy did not care that his book was a 3.5, he just did not understand why he had a minus sign, what he called a negitive, on his book.

I can imagine the conversation was something along the lines of the Spinal Tap 'Yeah, but this one goes up to 11'.

thumbsup2.gif

I just find it interesting that, looking back now, the numerical system is much more intuitive and makes better sense than the old-school alpha grades.

Back then, there was heavy resistance to change...now, it's simply the way it is.

I just find it interesting that, looking back now, the numerical system is much more intuitive and makes better sense than the old-school alpha grades.

Back then, there was heavy resistance to change...now, it's simply the way it is.

yeah, I agree.... I dont care anymore why it was changed. The bigger numbers are a big plus. And we old timers still know what letter grades each numerical grade equals. And for those who dont? They dont care. So. Here we are. Welcome to the future.

Yes, but only if it's preceded by the appropriate "freakin" adjective.

In this case, it appears he has followed proper protocol. stooges.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.

For a minute there, I thought I was unfairly attacked by an Internet person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed with keyboard muscles and a profound lack of civility.

So you don't really care why, just that fact that did I call you a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. You kinda leave youself wide open there confused-smiley-013.gif.

Actually, MIke, you can put your rattle back in your pram. poke2.gif I was referring to...

Finally, and you may not believe this, but we have gotten calls from people who are new to comics and hate anything with a minus next to it. One guy did not care that his book was a 3.5, he just did not understand why he had a minus sign, what he called a negitive, on his book.

I can imagine the conversation was something along the lines of the Spinal Tap 'Yeah, but this one goes up to 11'.

thumbsup2.gif

Which was my point, and any person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point prepared to turn down down a NM- just because it has a - in the equation needs the their slab cracked...by bringing it down forcably over their head in an attempt to knock sense into them.

And for the record.... m o r o n, etc, etc = *spoon*, person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point = person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point thumbsup2.gif

Which was my point, and any person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point prepared to turn down down a NM- just because it has a - in the equation needs the their slab cracked...by bringing it down forcably over their head in an attempt to knock sense into them.

And for the record.... m o r o n, etc, etc = *spoon*, person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point = person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point thumbsup2.gif

You're a dolt. Have you no reading comprehension or understanding of what this (insane.gif) means?

I was CRITICIZING people that looked down on the "negative" connotation.

You called me a "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" for agreeing with you. tonofbricks.gif Everyone got that except YOU.

It's appalling that you think it's acceptable to use derogatory terms for the mentally handicapped. You're no better than anyone that uses racial or religious epithets. Crawl back under the rock you came from. While you are there, sober up and take a reading and writing lesson.

I like the 100 point grading system too. I've actually seen books that were better then (8.5(VF+)) but less then (9.0(VF/NM)). Do we call these VF++ or VF/NM-? In the current system they seemed to get bumped either up or down by 1 to accommodate the grade which is exactly the opposite reason for the grading system in the first place.

You're a dolt. Have you no reading comprehension or understanding of what this (insane.gif) means?

I was CRITICIZING people that looked down on the "negative" connotation.

You called me a "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" for agreeing with you. tonofbricks.gif Everyone got that except YOU.

It's appalling that you think it's acceptable to use derogatory terms for the mentally handicapped. You're no better than anyone that uses racial or religious epithets. Crawl back under the rock you came from. While you are there, sober up and take a reading and writing lesson.

hi.gifSteve

Don't you just like days like these!

KOR

Just for the record my big insult to you was to suggest that you've missed the boat.

Not exactly a tar and feathering. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

I do hope that you at least TRIED to click on the link earlier. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

frown.gif

I like the 100 point grading system too. I've actually seen books that were better then (8.5(VF+)) but less then (9.0(VF/NM)). Do we call these VF++ or VF/NM-? In the current system they seemed to get bumped either up or down by 1 to accommodate the grade which is exactly the opposite reason for the grading system in the first place.

The 100 point system definately makes some sense when there is a tweener grade.

However, one of the main problems with the 100 point system is that many people thought there was too much leeway and it was tougher to grade consistantly.

If you think about it, how often is anyone going to be able to consistantly diffrentiate between the 77s and 78s?