• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Label vs New Label

222 posts in this topic

If you think about it, how often is anyone going to be able to consistantly diffrentiate between the 77s and 78s?

About as often one will be able to between a 9.4/9.6/9.8/9.9/10.0. Heck I have seen alot of difference in the grading of the tweener grades in the 10 point scale.

However, I do think the ten point scale is better in many respects. I think the problem is the lack of and reduced number of absolutes. Absolutes meaning that when such a defect is present there is no way a book would achieve a certain grade (Like any ink marking in the NM grades like the 100 scale had at one time) regardless of the rest of the condition of the book.

The other thing I notice between the 10 and 100 point scales is the treatment of asthetical defects and printers defects. I am of the camp that both should carry more weight than they do. Printers creases for example, they are really not all that common in a typical press run. I see way more books without them than with so those that have them should be in lower grade. So what if it is under the control of the collector or not. accidental damage is often beyond the control of collectors yet it is heavily weighted.

Just some thoughts

KOR

Just for the record my big insult to you was to suggest that you've missed the boat.

Not exactly a tar and feathering. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

I do hope that you at least TRIED to click on the link earlier. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

frown.gif

I did click the link. thumbsup2.gif I didn't read through the whole thing, but some of it.