• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 110 Variant

21 posts in this topic

I was going to post this in the Favorite cover thread, or maybe the rarest bronze age thread, but though I would provide a public service of sorts by showing the difference. Overstreet looks to have finally gotten it right this year after years and years of confusion, but not all ebay sellers are so knowledgable. So without further adieu...don't be fooled again! Here's the regular version:

ff110reg.jpg

And here's the rare variant:

ff110var.jpg

G, I would not consider the collector/seller w/ over 40k comics a scammer b/c he was just following the bible Overstreet. Just like some ppl who agree w/ everything Cgc grades b/c they can do NO wrong. If the latter were really true, 99% of the eBay /cgc sellers would not have to say Sorry, no refunds on cgc graded bks in their ad.

it's definitely cool - i'm just not sure how "rare" it is - i've had a bunch of them pass through my hands over the years and usually just priced them at a slight premium over the regular issue (and by a bunch, I mean 9-10 not 40-50). I remember at one time my good buddy Keith Contarino had 5-6 copies at once - he used to like to display them on his wall at shows - (at one show we set up together and put up nothing but high grade Tales of Suspense #63's - a little over 100 copies total).

Maybe they're just a little more plentiful down south.

..........how much more does the variant guide than the reg version?

..........i agree with a previous poster that the variant is pretty ugly..............a green thing????

..........i didn't think it possible to make the thing look uglier........... grin.gif

OK then how'd he get those goofy wings on his feet...neither human nor Atlantean trait there...no I've never encountered his Origin. I always thought he was Sue Richards Latin lover whenever geekmo Reed was playing in the Negative zone (you'd think he'd find away to free Captain Marvel/Rick Jones switching back forth being in there so often)...

I remember seeing the FF110 green "variant" on the 7-11 newsstand in my hometown as a kid. My first "newsstand bought" FF was issue 104, and I was very into comics for about 2 years. I THOUGHT the colors looked a bit funny, but figured it was all because of Annihilus' Negative Zone distortions...You may be right, the "variant" copies may have been plentifully distributed "down south", since I've always lived in ACC/SEC country.

since I've always lived in ACC/SEC country

That's funny. I guess I could say I'm from Big East/ Atlantic 10 country, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it...