• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Here is an annoying thing that I would like to see changed. It has happened before in the Quality BINs and the past few days in Nikos BINs. Many books are posted, and some are gobbled up in seconds. No problem. But this I see as a problem, when 3 books have been listed with no action taken by buyers, then a hot NM book comes up, and a buyer just throws out the takeit.gif sign without indicating which book was taken, then later goes in and edits the post and puts the book in. Well that is just wrong in my opinion. At the very least type in the name of the book with the post. I lost out to many who threw quotes around the book at 10 seconds after Nikos posted. They were fast on the draw and good for them, but losing to someone who just puts up the takeit.gif sign well that really spoons me off.

Just venting.

Here is an annoying thing that I would like to see changed. It has happened before in the Quality BINs and the past few days in Nikos BINs. Many books are posted, and some are gobbled up in seconds. No problem. But this I see as a problem, when 3 books have been listed with no action taken by buyers, then a hot NM book comes up, and a buyer just throws out the takeit.gif sign without indicating which book was taken, then later goes in and edits the post and puts the book in. Well that is just wrong in my opinion. At the very least type in the name of the book with the post. I lost out to many who threw quotes around the book at 10 seconds after Nikos posted. They were fast on the draw and good for them, but losing to someone who just puts up the takeit.gif sign well that really spoons me off.

Just venting.

I admit I have done this... but only after having it done to me first. If it's an integral component of the messageboard, I don't see how this is technically "illegal." Replying with the image in the REPLY post is simply not as fast as quick replying.

So after having this done to me (and you probably), I chose to emulate the speed posting rather than just miss out on any books I have an interest in.

I have also thrown out takeit.gif and been told that it was sold via PM. These things happen. confused-smiley-013.gif

In the interest of fairness, I don't know how the other people are doing it, but here's how I do it.

I type in the code for takeit.gif into the quick reply window at the bottom of the screen and uncheck the two boxes to the left. When I see a book that I want, I hit the submit button. This causes an instant post. Typing in the name of the book would take an extra couple of seconds I suppose.. but given the quick draw nature of some of the threads, that would probably mean the difference between winning and losing. (And some of these posters are PRETTY fast.)

But this I see as a problem, when 3 books have been listed with no action taken by buyers, then a hot NM book comes up, and a buyer just throws out the takeit.gif sign without indicating which book was taken, then later goes in and edits the post and puts the book in. Well that is just wrong in my opinion.

As long as the original poster replied to the correct post (you can check by clicking on the link above the message) then I don't see the problem. There is no need to even edit the post later, other than to clarify it to the seller.

If the person is scamming, and replying to an earlier post (or creating a generic quick reply), then hoping he can catch a book that was just listed, then that's dead wrong.

But if the Reply Link/ID is right, I don't see the harm or foul.

While this method works, it does bring with it a risk that someone will post a message between that sales post and yours, thus linking your generic Quick Reply to that, and not the comic you wanted.

Then the cat's out of the bag, and it's Roast a CGC Member time. devil.gif

I type in the code for takeit.gif into the quick reply window at the bottom of the screen and uncheck the two boxes to the left. When I see a book that I want, I hit the submit button. This causes an instant post. Typing in the name of the book would take an extra couple of seconds I suppose.. but given the quick draw nature of some of the threads, that would probably mean the difference between winning and losing. (And some of these posters are PRETTY fast.)

While this method works, it does bring with it a risk that someone will post a message between that sales post and yours, thus linking your generic Quick Reply to that, and not the comic you wanted.

Then the cat's out of the bag, and it's Roast a CGC Member time. devil.gif

If you Quick Reply, aren't you replying to the original post? I don't see how someone else posting would intercept your Reply link...

I'll have to test it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you Quick Reply, aren't you replying to the original post? I don't see how someone else posting would intercept your Reply link...

I checked your links, and it looks like you reply to the last post.

If it was linked to the original post, I'd believe none of your takeit.gif would be valid, otherwise it would be abuse-city.

I checked your links, and it looks like you reply to the last post.

If it was linked to the original post, I'd believe none of your takeit.gif would be valid, otherwise it would be abuse-city.

That's what I meant.. the last post.. which would be the post with the latest book ON MY SCREEN.

I wouldn't be able to see any replies that are made before I post (but after that sale post.)

Using the quick reply will just throw your post in at the bottom and it will attach it to the most recent post. If you were going to call someone a Spoon using the quick reply and in the meantime someone else posted, your quick reply would be attached to the bottom of the most recent post.

Your insult is then rendered ineffective towards the more deserving individual and now you've upset someone else entirely. Get in a habit of using the regular reply. wink.gif

I would like to see someone stuck with buying something they didn't want by using the quick reply while the seller makes an additional post.

And buyers that don't bother to specify should be prepared to make good on this kind of gamble. Course it helps when the seller is bringing out quality books each time. Not that risky....this time.

Okay.. so Quick Reply comes with a caveat. tongue.gif

The person using just REPLY though and not QUOTE... that's the one that some members have a problem with correct?

Inserting the takeit.gif into a REPLY and then submitting, THEN GOING BACK and editing the post and adding the name of the comic (Even though it's technically already linking back to the comic in question.)

And as an aside, I know it's frustrating to see some of these books disappear in a flash... or to see a great deal snatched up. I usually use the QUOTE function except that I found I was being too slow (which necessitated the new strategy.., I.E. you don't bring a knife to a gunfight. tongue.gif )

Interesting thread.... I was watching the Nik auctions last night, no intention to bid on anything as I'm sticking to my want-list at the mo. But I did see 3 different members using the graemlin first - hit reply- go back and edit in the name of the book technique, which was new to me as well.

I then saw somebody getting frustrated that he wasn't winning anything, so I posted the technique I had just observed so everyone could use it, leveling the playing field as it were..

I don't believe it's an illegal thing to do, but this way everyone got wise on how some people were able to snag books so quickly...

I also saw a lot of people replying, being second, third or even fourth for a certain book and then quickly deleted their post, just like there was some shame not to be the quickest on the draw...

Looked like a lot of ego-driven purchases last night.. tongue.gif

good for you Nik thumbsup2.gif

Since there aren't any rules for the buying end it technically isn't illegal. But, it has ticked off a few buyers, myself included who try to indicate exactly what it is they are buying. Using the quick reply to me is fine if you type in the name of the book and the takeit.gif symbol. But sometimes someone might post to the seller a qoute saying "what a sweet book" that gets there and a quick reply responds back to that with an I'll take it. Take what? The idea that it was a sweet book, the book that had been listed just before that, or the one listed before that that hadn't sold yet. 98% of the auctions don't have this problem. But it is frustrating when it does happen.

Again, I think it was in one of the Quality Auctions, (but I could be wrong) that someone really got pissed at this tactic being used by another member. If there was a cyber alley, I think there would have been a knock down drag em out brawl on this.

I just think we need to start setting some real rules along the buying end too. People throwing up the takeit.gif and not paying for weeks, if they pay at all. Some people are very quick to throw out the takeit.gif sign, but very slow with the throwing out the dollar sign. It ticks off the seller because they know they could have easily have sold that book if the non-payer had not been thinking faster then what his or her pay check allows. Then also one that bothers me is a seller has a great thread going and a buyer complains about the grade, but then makes an offer at less then the what the seller listed it for. One it is poor form to complain about a grade in someone's selling thread(even if it looks like the dogged puked on it, and the seller is listing as a VF+). Just don't buy it.

Well again, enough of my ranting like a crazy man! insane.gif