• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

The purpose of the forum only thread should be for ANYONE to offer books EXCLUSIVELY to forumites. Good for the seller. Good for the buyer. Good for all forumites. Everyone's happy.

Sure, but I also do not agree with banner, that we need to water-down the rules, so that dealers are allowed to just dump their online stock lists here, while concurrently posting them in their site, on EBay, and using various consignment sites like CL.

Though it pains me to say it, but - again - I agree with you on this point. Exclusivity (temporal though it may be) for forumites is the key requirement for this forum section. I would think the majority would be in agreement on this issue.

Look everybody! Just list books that are not listed anywhere else. Only for sale here! To forum members!

If there is no intrest then move them to a diffrent site or the dealer's thread and put links galore.

I bought a book off of GAcollectables from his thread and he let me know in a "PM" he has other GA on his site I went and bought another from his site.

The above example is how it should be done! Banners claim that no part time dealer will bother to list books here just means that the part time dealer has just shrunk his/her customer base.

Please stop the back and forth and just learn to live with the rules.

The purpose of the forum only thread should be for ANYONE to offer books EXCLUSIVELY to forumites. Good for the seller. Good for the buyer. Good for all forumites. Everyone's happy.

Sure, but I also do not agree with banner, that we need to water-down the rules, so that dealers are allowed to just dump their online stock lists here, while concurrently posting them in their site, on EBay, and using various consignment sites like CL.

You don't need to remain stuck on my suggestion to drop rule #3 Vince. I started the poll over a week ago, BEFORE Arch posted the revised rules, in order to gauge what types of major changes (if any) forumites wanted to see. As it turned out, the revised rules included the changes most of us wanted, the main one being that sellers are allowed to post in the Forum Only board regardless of their "dealer" status. Myself, and others, would still like to see a separate WTB forum, so I included Chrom's suggested breakdown of the existing forum in the poll.

Since the rule change, there has been no big influx of "dealer" posts in this forum and I believe that if rule #3 were dropped, there would still be no big influx of "dealer" posts for the reasons Mark cited above.

However, as I said earlier, I realize I'm probably in the minority on this position so I'm not going to push it, but it was worth a mention. My reasons for proposing the change is for me to be able to buy more books, not for me to be able to sell more books...which is why, as Mark notes above, I believe some posters want to exclude "dealers" from posting here - they don't want the competition (when selling, I don't want it either!).

Look everybody! Just list books that are not listed anywhere else. Only for sale here! To forum members!

If there is no intrest then move them to a diffrent site or the dealer's thread and put links galore.

I bought a book off of GAcollectables from his thread and he let me know in a "PM" he has other GA on his site I went and bought another from his site.

The above example is how it should be done! Banners claim that no part time dealer will bother to list books here just means that the part time dealer has just shrunk his/her customer base.

Please stop the back and forth and just learn to live with the rules.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

This is a good place to lock this thread. gossip.gif

I understand your concerns Andy. I don't doubt that I am in the minority that feels the marketplace should be opened up more than it is now, which is why I didn't include "Make it a free-for-all" as one of the options in the poll. Chrom's suggestion is a good compromise, so I decided to include that option instead.

The books I'm looking for are tough enough to find in the first place, so I'll take 'em anywhere I can find 'em. Similarily, I try to attend shows when the doors open to get the best selection, as opposed to attending on the last day when dealers are selling books at a greater discount. Collectors primarily selling books here, or collectors that prioritize getting a good deal over a good selection probably don't have the same priorities, and that's fine.

It's easy enough to skim through and ignore the posts that don't interest me, but I guess it's not as easy for others...although I'm sure we would all enthusiastically jump on a listing of Doug Sulipa's latest Manitoba books, or the next Oakland collection, irregardless of whether or not those books are listed on some other website. thumbsup2.gif

Well, I don't think it would be as simple as "ignoring" the dealer posts, should it come to that. The boards are a market and the more big players that move in, the more the small players will be pushed out. It's really that simple. There's a finite amount of dollars available here, and it would suck to see it going (once again) into big dealer wallets.

I depend on the marketplace and my sales here to bear the bulk of my hobby-related costs. I know I am FAR from being alone there. I don't need some weekend warrior with big bucks and huge inventory coming and taking money away from small time players who do it because they love it or can't collect otherwise. Dealers have TONS of other places they can do that, Mike. Heritage, eBay, Pedigree, CLink, their own sites, ect. Do they REALLY need another one? Should we sacrifice nice books at attractive prices from other collectors to have another venue for big timers to pump their overgraded, overpriced wares? I say hell no. I like buying from collectors, I like selling to collectors, and I like leaving dealers out of the loop entirely. This is one of the few places where people can do that on a consistent basis.

With all due respect Andy (and I'll use your post to respond to obvious others who support your premise), I simply don't follow your logic. Basically what you and others are saying is that you want to preserve your own self-interests. This has nothing to do with what is best for the boards and the forumites, but just yourselves because you want to maximize your own sales (which, of course, there is nothing wrong with).

For one thing, what constitutes the "big player", and what is the difference between them, anyone else and these "weekend warriors with big bucks and huge inventory"? How often have we seen any individuals within these categories come into the forum and cause a problem? Not very often. The "big players" as I would define them are rarely, if ever, here. They don't need these boards for sales purposes. And if they wanted to come here, they should be able to freely do so as long as whatever rules are in place are followed.

Anyone who tries to "pump their overgraded, overpriced wares" will not get anywhere because people will complain about their overgrading and their overpricing. And if you think either of these descriptions are exclusive to the "big players" or "weekend warriors" rather than some of you small fry (or whatever you believe you and others are), then you are not in the same community I am in.

And all of those other forums you mentioned for sales are more than available to you and everyone else at anytime. People buy the books. Not the person selling the books. No one is pushing anyone out except for you, Divad and others who want to discriminate against "dealers", whomever they may be (and it seems that basically they are anyone but you guys).

You are overanalyzing things. I want to buy and sell to other collectors, and so do most board members I think. It's as simple as that. Really not that difficult to understand. confused-smiley-013.gif

No one is pushing anyone out except for you, Divad and others who want to discriminate against "dealers", whomever they may be (and it seems that basically they are anyone but you guys).

Your "holier than thou", after the fact rhetoric is quite transparent. You forget that the rules were in place. Then they were broken. The rules have been amended. This doesn't change the transgressions which occured before the rule change . . . just your feather-puffing. grin.gif

No one is pushing anyone out except for you, Divad and others who want to discriminate against "dealers", whomever they may be (and it seems that basically they are anyone but you guys).

Your "holier than thou", after the fact rhetoric is quite transparent. You forget that the rules were in place. Then they were broken. The rules have been amended. This doesn't change the transgressions which occured before the rule change . . . just your feather-puffing. grin.gif

Sigh.

I "violated" the rules once in the three years I have been on these boards. Bring on the gallows!

How about dealing with the present now and not the past. You hate dealers. You want all your competition out of the way. We all know it.

Whatever.

Sigh.

I "violated" the rules once in the three years I have been on these boards. Bring on the gallows!

How about dealing with the present now and not the past. You hate dealers. You want all your competition out of the way. We all know it.

Whatever.

Actually, I wasn't refering to your thread at all, just your present stance on the subject. My initial concerns about this whole issue was over Brent's dumping thread. Then all hell broke loose. I don't hate dealers. I've never said that. I don't view dealers as "competition". I don't know where you get your ideas from. tongue.gif

Sigh.

Whatever.

Actually, I wasn't refering to your thread at all, just your present stance on the subject. My initial concerns about this whole issue was over Brent's dumping thread. Then all hell broke loose. I don't hate dealers. I've never said that. I don't view dealers as "competition". I don't know where you get your ideas from. tongue.gif

Is that Frank Zappa as your avatar? He had some pretty wacky ideas... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

• Administrator

Thank you all for (MOSTLY) keeping this a civil and rational conversation. I know there are some passionate views about these things, but there have been some great point-of-view-sharing posts in this thread without (many) insults.

Thanks.

Can we have one rule - individual posts for individual books? Having 20 books in a single post makes it a pain. No big deal, but just easier.

Just to make sure the proposed rule is corrent, you mean one scan per post, right?

he means one book per reply i think. Some people will load 20 scans into one reply and it takes forever to load.

I don't understand what you guys are saying here, please elaborate.....

he means one book per reply i think. Some people will load 20 scans into one reply and it takes forever to load.
Not saying you're wrong but I didn't see the word "reply" in his post and therefore interpreted it as One book for sale, one thread. confused-smiley-013.gif But I also could be wrong as it was vague.

So is it one book or one scan? A list of books and a set of scans are different, ya know. frustrated.gif

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. In a single sales thread, each book will have its own post, as opposed to having 20 scans in a single post, which can take forever to load.

Something like this

Post 1) Here are my books for sale, blah blah blah

Post 2) VG copy of Annoying Man 3, $45, with scan

Post 3) VF copy of Annoying Man 9, $100, with scan

etc. etc.

as opposed to

Post 1) Here are my books, VG copy of Annoying Man, scan, VF copy of Annoying Man 9, scan.