• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for CGC and the Liason Committee

926 posts in this topic

The latest update:

Now that you know what CGCs reasons are for endorsing Matt Nelson in the FAQ, what is your opinion?

Users may choose only one (67 total votes)

I agree with CGC and their stance. 27%

I really don't care one way or another. 28%

I disagree with CGC and their reasons. 40%

I really need some 'crack' right now... 04%

Pov:

I've heard a lot of rumblings that Susan's work is not the same quality it once was. I have no idea if true or not true. She was out of the game for awhile as she scaled back... i'm not even sure if she's all that interested in getting back involved in the whole scene again.

Fool - the main point I am trying to make is that CGC will not recommend a restorer who 1) is not "promoting CGC certification " and 2) "were still doing pressing or dry cleaning". Susan will do press and clean but only as part of a more extensive restoration.

As far as the rumblings go - I've not heard any. Can you elaborate? You be a smart one and know "rumblings" are often more from the stomach than the brain!

::edit add:: But I only mentioned Susan because CGC did. Is Matt the only person on the planet capapble of quality restoration??? Or the only one that meets a rather dubious criteria? Promote CGC and provide only clean/press as a separate service?

I kind of agree with you on that first point -- "not promoting CGC certification" is a sticky wicket as it were.

As for the rumblings, there are a lot of dealers who once looked at fondness on Susan's work, who now aren't as high on it. I never brought her up because I never actually used her for any work, so how would I know? But when I've brought her rep up -- I've been immediately shot down with one word: overrated. I then state all the past accolades, and I'm then told, that's in the past. I honestly have no idea, but it's a fairly common response to get these days.

Yes, rumblings are often 1) more fluff than fact and 2) have ulterior motives.

I haven't head these rumblings except from people who definitely fit into category (2), at least in my eyes. This community is full of rumblings recently. I agree with you 100% as to how best to interpret such rumblings.

I've used Susan's services for restoration detection and her performance was timely, inexpensive and perfectly acceptable to me. I have never had a book restored so I can't speak to that, though I have certainly heard recent accolades for her work.

I don't remember the specific threads, though someone could easily find them, but there certainly were past discussions concerning an ongoing "tiff" (my words) between CGC/Steve Borock and Susan, to include comments made directly by Steve that made it clear they were not on, lets say, "friendly" terms any longer.

I would have to agree with Pov. Without making any comment about Matt's substantive work, which frankly I generally only hear high praise for (with the occasional negative comment which is to be expected, no one is perfect), there is no one else for CGC to recommend. Susan is on the outs with them, as prior threads reveal. Tracey is on the outs with them, as prior threads reveal. Matt Wilson is having "issues", as a current thread reveals. And everyone else so far is a, no insult intended, minor player not yet proven in the marketplace.

It would be interesting to hear more from people with substantive experience with both Tracey's restoration or pressing work, and Susan's restoration (which may include pressing in the process) work and be able to compare it with Matt's work. Then we would have a better idea of what may be behind the FAQ.

Forget the rumblings for a second, is Susan still interested in doing resto work? Her rep was that she was always the best, but then she faded off the spotlight, so my first question was, does she have any interest in the resto world?

Forget the rumblings for a second, is Susan still interested in doing resto work? Her rep was that she was always the best, but then she faded off the spotlight, so my first question was, does she have any interest in the resto world?

Obviously so if she has done "recent" work as Mark alludes...

And it's hard to forget the "rumblings" you bring up as it was a direct attack against Susan's work...do YOU have anything to back up that assertion?

Jim

Yes, she restored a Detective #29 for me recently and did a beautiful job. It went from a F/G to a F/VF after her work. Done in a timely manner too. From what I hear, she gets more offers to do resto work than she can handle right now.

It appears to me that there has been some level of ostracizing of Tracey and Susan since they decided that they weren't going to get on board the CGC train.

I had Matt do some work on a Flash #105 about 6 years ago. I'm sure his work has improved since then and since it was the first resto job that I had had anyone perform I didn't know what to expect. I wasn't impressed at the time. It was a F/G before resto and was only about a VG+ after.

I've never used Tracey so I can't evaluate his work.

Give her a call and get the answer first hand if you're really interested, Brian.

http://www.therestorationlab.com/

(617) 924-4297

And it's hard to forget the "rumblings" you bring up as it was a direct attack against Susan's work...do YOU have anything to back up that assertion?

Jim

I have to agree with Jim on this, Brian. Alluding to "rumblings" is pretty vague. Fill us in on the source of the "rumblings" so we can make a judgement as to whether they're worth factoring into the equation or not.

Jim

I have to agree with Jim on this, Brian. Alluding to "rumblings" is pretty vague. Fill us in on the source of the "rumblings" so we can make a judgement as to whether they're worth factoring into the equation or not.

Actually, if you go back to my original post, I said, I could never validate it one way or another. I'll put it to you this way -- I would just go have a conversation with any of the dealers you see and just ask them candidly about what they thought about Susan's work (recently). I got mixed reports. Some praised her. Others said it wasn't what it quite was. Others said they've simply never used her but have heard it wasn't what it quite was. Still others said that it was still solid in some areas but not in others.

Now -- that being said, almost universally, there were a lot of people praising her artisitic skills, but not everyone praising the resto detection/resto work. For the record, I've never used Susan. But the whole reason I started asking was well before this whole NOD etc., it was more because I always heard she was the "best" and actually had a book I wanted worked on. I ended up deciding not to do any resto on the book period, so it all became moot.

And Jim, my understanding was that she was really only doing part time work -- so I have not heard if she was back full time -- and if she was interested in doing full time resto work since it wasn't so long ago she sought a job with CGC. If she's back doing full time work, terrific -- I'd love to hear some people who've had some recent work done by her and their impressions of the quality. It makes it a lot easier to push to add her name to any recommended list.

Actually, if you go back to my original post, I said, I could never validate it one way or another. I'll put it to you this way -- I would just go have a conversation with any of the dealers you see and just ask them candidly about what they thought about Susan's work (recently). I got mixed reports. Some praised her. Others said it wasn't what it quite was. Others said they've simply never used her but have heard it wasn't what it quite was. Still others said that it was still solid in some areas but not in others.

How big a sample of dealers have you polled? I hope it was a fair sized one....... and unless these dealers go on record, I would have to question the validity of your statement. I know you've made statements like "most collectors don't care about pressing" when you couldn't possibly know that.

So how many dealers are you talking about? Have you ever spoken to Susan? You admit you haven't had any work done by her. Your vagueness is pretty irresponsible in my opinion.

Why are you taking on the role of spokesman for this supposed army of dissatistfied dealers?

Just asking.....

How big a sample of dealers have you polled? I hope it was a fair sized one....... and unless these dealers go on record, I would have to question the validity of your statement. I know you've made statements like "most collectors don't care about pressing" when you couldn't possibly know that.

So how many dealers are you talking about? Have you ever spoken to Susan? You admit you haven't had any work done by her. Your vagueness is pretty irresponsible in my opinion.

Why are you taking on the role of spokesman for this supposed army of dissatistfied dealers?

Just asking.....

I'm not being a spokesperson for them. You're assigning me that role. I'm simply stating that I think the rumblings might offer some explanation as to her lack of favor with CGC; they might not. I've been very clear that I have no idea whether or not they are true. In terms of dealers, I really couldn't say exactly how many. More than 10? Probably.

But it's like you saying, most collectors do care about pressing when you couldn't possibly know it either. I'm looking at how much effect there's been on sales -- from the little we know from Brent's disclosure of pressing in auctions, or the fact that Heritage still does very well, and plenty of board members have read the ramblings here about the connections, yet still bid on their auctions, Matt's books etc. A lot don't. But to me, there is some evidence out there to support that idea.

Brad -- it's hard to take most of what you're saying seriously on my part, since on more than one occasion, you've also played the cryptic card.

I'm not being a spokesperson for them. You're assigning me that role. I'm simply stating that I think the rumblings might offer some explanation as to her lack of favor with CGC; they might not. I've been very clear that I have no idea whether or not they are true. In terms of dealers, I really couldn't say exactly how many. More than 10? Probably.

But it's like you saying, most collectors do care about pressing when you couldn't possibly know it either. I'm looking at how much effect there's been on sales -- from the little we know from Brent's disclosure of pressing in auctions, or the fact that Heritage still does very well, and plenty of board members have read the ramblings here about the connections, yet still bid on their auctions, Matt's books etc. A lot don't. But to me, there is some evidence out there to support that idea.

Brad -- it's hard to take most of what you're saying seriously on my part, since on more than one occasion, you've also played the cryptic card.

Honestly....you're the first I've heard on this Forum questioning Susan's abilities. If there is another post please point me to it as I can't find one doing a search...

That's what makes your assertion irresponsible in the face of no supporting basis to back the statement. A bunch of lawyers could have told me your legal work is sub-par...but I would never bring it up in an open Forum unless I had something to back it up. Same applies here...

Jim

Sorry Brian, it doesn't float. I'm not buying it.

Deny it if you want, but you are speaking for these unknown dealers. I've never said most collectors care about pressing. I've said many collectors aren't aware of how deeply ingrained the practice is. That may be changing, but I have never tried to quantify the proportion.

Let's stick to your "probably" ten dealers. If you're really not sure what the number is, don't have any details regarding your discussions, and can't name any of them, then I think you're the one that's pretty hard to take seriously. Are we talking Lauterbach? Nelson? Evans? Schmell? Yee? Metropolis? I've known you several years and I've never heard you talk about these discussions before.

I mean, why wouldn't these dealers just come forward? The worst that would happen would be that Susan might take offense and take them off her mailing list.... and if they don't like her work, what's the big whoop with that?

Again, sorry. I think you're being extremely irresponsible. And totally unfair. Not to mention evasive on any real answers here.

Brad

To the best of my knowledge, Susan is actively accepting and undertaking restoration work.

There were issues that distracted her in the last few years (hence the "fading") in her family that had nothing to do with comics but those have all been dealt with and are in the past.

I would encourage the community to re-establish contact with her. She'll get my work. thumbsup2.gif

I'm simply stating that I think the rumblings might offer some explanation as to her lack of favor with CGC; they might not.

The explanation is our good friend Steve B., who has an issue with Susan that has been publicly discussed - including by him - on these boards. Steve is entitled to his own personal opinions of course, and many of the issues surrounding these topics are subjective in nature so it is difficult to say who is right or who is wrong. And, of course, CGC is entitled to choose whomever it wishes for business partnerships.

But an apple is an apple, and an orange is an orange and we should all be aware of that when we try to reach our own understanding of exactly why CGC is recommending one person over another.

Is it me, or do others see the blatant hypocrisy on these boards?

Here's what I find most peculiar...

When members discuss "conspiracy theories", they are quickly and vehemently rebuked by the purveyors of public politeness for engaging in "baseless" speculation. And yet, these very same administers of admonishment play in the same type box when the color of sand suits their own individual liking.

I just find the whole situation rather bizarre.

To the best of my knowledge, Susan is actively accepting and undertaking restoration work.

There were issues that distracted her in the last few years (hence the "fading") in her family that had nothing to do with comics but those have all been dealt with and are in the past.

I would encourage the community to re-establish contact with her. She'll get my work. thumbsup2.gif

All due respect to Matt, whom I also like, I found Susan to be a pleasant and very talented person to work with.

All due respect to Matt, whom I also like, I found Susan to be a pleasant and very talented person to work with.

Actually, I think I might contact her to send her a book that I'd love to get a little repair done on...

Actually, I think I might contact her to send her a book that I'd love to get a little repair done on...

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

this is kind of why I didn't get what Brad was saying to me earlier, b/c my point was, hey, I actually always heard susan was the best, but if you want to know why I don't think CGC is willing to "authorize" her -- it's twofold, 1) not specifically supporting CGC and 2) the rumblings. Obviously, i have no personal lack of confidence in her work and the only real barometer is getting the work done yourself. The work i've seen on GA books looks gorgeous that she's done.

Is it me, or do others see the blatant hypocrisy on these boards?

Here's what I find most peculiar...

When members discuss "conspiracy theories", they are quickly and vehemently rebuked by the purveyors of public politeness for engaging in "baseless" speculation. And yet, these very same administers of admonishment play in the same type box when the color of sand suits their own individual liking.

I just find the whole situation rather bizarre.

I know what you mean. It seems like people go ballistic over misleadig practices but are okay with fighting it in a way that's equally misleading but more to their liking. And all along the way little or nothing at all is said about other misleading practices or misleading information.

It baffles me somewhat because things like that usually occur in other fields when values are going down or when it's hard to figure out what;s going up or down. We don't have that in the comics field right now. It's booming.

I trust my own ability to spot things that I like and which I know also have intrinsic value and are likely to increase in value. I don't feel or see the need to mislead people, let alone mislead under the guise of protecting them from other misleading people,