• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,871 posts in this topic

The Topps Jack Davis Funny Valentines cards are one of the most beloved items in my collection. They're not scarce, they're not expensive, but I remember them in the schoolyard and the Jack Davis artwork is just too cool!

Thanks for posting all the scans / photos, Hepcat. :applause:

(worship) You have a spectacular collection. :luhv:

That may just be the highest praise possible!

Thank you!

Here's another more mundane scan. After all, you can't have the Lone Ranger without his horse, right?

31-05-201174208PM.jpg

(shrug)

Beautiful BOOK esp. for early in the series. :headbang:

Yes, but you can have the horse without the Lone Ranger. :tonofbricks:

Edited by frozentundraguy

Question, which I hope one of you 4c collectors can help me answer.

Is there a non-ad back cover for issue 1349 (Yogi Bears visits the U.N.) ? The ad back cover is of a daisy gun ad.

I've never seen a non-ad copy - not sure if one exists.

Thanks in advance!

Check the GCD :baiting:

The listing for 1349 shows both the Ad and the Non-Ad version.

As per the Non-Ad version, the back cover is:

Secret Mission:Yogi Bear / comic story / 1 page [scrooge Note: note that the GCD has it wrong; it's not Secret Mission but rather Secret Session]

Credits

-script: ?

Pencils: Fred Fredericks

Inks:Fred Fredericks

Content Information

Genre:funny animal

Characters:Yogi Bear; Boo Boo

Synopsis:Yogi uses the U.N. chairman's gavel to crack walnuts.

Indexer Notes - Back cover; pantomime story.

Also, it turns out my copy is the Non-Ad back so here's the gag rather than its synopsis :foryou:

123866.jpg.bf745fed3c1e372aa2a60bc094e078b2.jpg

Ah, I didnt think of checking the GCD. Thanks Scrooge!

Do we know of any issues that had only an ad back?

I'm sure there's a lot of issues with only a non-ad back (when ads began).

I also saw an error in the OSG on when ads began - they mention #710 but I have a #693 with an ad back.

That's beyond what I know (and to some extent what I care :shrug: ) Wish I could help you but I'm not that guy, sorry.

True - I only was curious so I don't go overboard looking for the non-ad version for those issues, if any exist.

That's beyond what I know (and to some extent what I care :shrug: ) Wish I could help you but I'm not that guy, sorry.

True - I only was curious so I don't go overboard looking for the non-ad version for those issues, if any exist.

I know where you are coming from but at this point, I just grab whatever copy is available cheap. After all, I am determined to stay ahead of you count-wise, though I feel that you are closing the gap and will surpass me soon.

With the books from Jim on their way, this will put me at 1,127 issues accounted for. How far back or ahead of me are you at this point?

I know where you are coming from but at this point, I just grab whatever copy is available cheap. After all, I am determined to stay ahead of you count-wise, though I feel that you are closing the gap and will surpass me soon.

With the books from Jim on their way, this will put me at 1,127 issues accounted for. How far back or ahead of me are you at this point?

Nice. you're close to the finish line :)

I'm very close to 800 now. I won't say no to cheap copies/ad copies, but when I can, I'll try to go after the 4.0-6.0 range (neat front copies w/ great eye appeal) and non-ad backs. The majority of my books are in this range already.

I don't really collect Four Colors but picked up a number of Central Valley copies from Zzutak and Brian Peets at A-1 Comics. I can't tell you how gorgeous the Central Valley books look. If they were printed yesterday you couldn't tell the difference.

FourColor1.jpg