• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,791 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2022 at 4:01 AM, g-man said:

Four Color #1139....nice Kirk Douglas photo cover.

Do you like gladiator movies? :wink:

(Excellent movie BTW, with a very famous scene that has spawned 1,000 parodies.)

On 10/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, kaculler said:

fc77.jpg

Great books and congratulations on inching ever closer...

I'm surprised that you still needed issue 77, as it's one that I've seen more often than many other early issues. Of course, the prices some sellers are asking for run fillers still verge on the obnoxious. I've been watching Dells for years and many listings on the Bay and even MCS still make me scratch my head (for example, a later mid-grade Mother Goose for 10x guide). I still grab an occasional Four Color here and there and even at $9.99, when shipping and/or sales tax is included, you have $20 invested in a run-filler that your heirs would be hard-pressed to get two or three bucks for. I imagine, however, when you're as close as you are to your goal, $20 is a screaming bargain for books you still need! :yeehaw:

Edited by PopKulture

On 10/13/2022 at 6:39 PM, PopKulture said:

Great books and congratulations on inching ever closer...

I'm surprised that you still needed issue 77, as it's one that I've seen more often than many other early issues. Of course, the prices some sellers are asking for run fillers still verge on the obnoxious. I've been watching Dells for years and many listings on the Bay and even MCS still make me scratch my head (for example, a later mid-grade Mother Goose for 10x guide). I still grab an occasional Four Color here and there and even at $9.99, when shipping and/or sales tax is included, you have $20 invested in a run-filler that your heirs would be hard-pressed to get two or three bucks for. I imagine, however, when you're as close as you are to your goal, $20 is a screaming bargain for books you still need! :yeehaw:

Thanks!

There are two copies of FC 77 on eBay now.  One of them is in cgc 9.2 and priced way above what I would pay.  The other is listed in vg/fine and was close to what I would pay.  MCS is very weird with their pricing at times.  The FC 52 and FC 77 I just got were from MCS and were priced at guide or even a little below based on their 3.0 evaluation of the grade.  I took a chance on them since you can never really tell if the staples are all connected and so on, but they were in these cases so I was satisfied.  They have other issues that I need, such as FC 69 in 4.0 which they have listed at $105 vs $42 in the guide and FC 121 in 4.0 which they have listed at $50 vs $20 in the guide.  No thanks on either of those.  I've seen similar listings, though, and then they'll get another copy in the same condition and price it based on guide.  It makes me wonder about how they decide to price their books.

The Tiny Tim issue is from an eBay seller who has 7 other issues that I need plus maybe 15-20 others that he doesn't have ready to sell yet.  Unfortunately, all of them are priced at 50% or more above guide and since they are 5.0 grades or above, that adds a lot.  I'll probably pass on them, at least for now.  If I get down to needing 10 issues, then maybe I'll splurge a bit more and overpay, but with 48 issues to go in series II (with one on the way), I'll still be a bit patient.  I think that I've picked up over 30 issues in the past year, though I'd have to check to make sure.  That's pretty good progress, though the ones that are left will likely be difficult.  There are probably 10-20 of them that I may be able to get for around $20 or less eventually.  I hope so anyway.

Nice Tiny Tim 235  that is a book I am still missing ( got my copy of First Series 20  over a decade ago)

I believe  that  we have the same  ebay sellor in comon.

I did a fairly large transaction with him  early in the year, and filled some major holes,  but as you mention  they were not inexpensive.

Working with him on another batch, but sadly  most of what I need  are also among the Not Ready For Prime TIme   issues. 

I have a bunch of books going up on Heritage during November.  Hopefully  thet will do well   so I can afford to buy  more of 4GEMs  gems   like the #37  that I snagged  last month 

You are all talking about Qualitycomix.  No reason to avoid names. I recently bought a few very scarce EC books from them and turns out the prices were not too far off what I would expectant at auction. There was one book I paid about 1800 that I thought was overvalued by as much as 2-300 dollars. But at the end of the day, I realized I had been looking for a nice copy for at least 10 years and hadn't seen one come up in all that time. So, I just bought it. He offered me 5% off, but that's really peanuts. They do have some incredibly good stuff. Not sure where they get it all. I think they sell books on consignment, would be my guess.

Edited by 4GEMWORKS

I've purchased comics from Qualitycomix before, but the Tiny Tim was actually from an eBay seller named slayor.  He had a complete set of Four Color and has been selling it over the last number of years.  

Edited by kaculler

Yes  I was talking about Slayor  as well.  I bought a bunch from him about a year ago,  and was  checking back  to see if he had more that were high on my list.

Never bought from Qualitycomix.

I have picked off  at least half dozen of   $GEMs books  from Heritage.

How far along are the Heritage  offerings  Glen?