• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

i have estimated cost and entered the 700s  and 600s and am now up to 997 books evaluated.  Even though I am raising the average values entered and have several books over $100,  the average continued to fall to 46.62.  maybe the trend will change when I get to  first series and first 200 of the second series.  Other than those sections all other hundreds are currently below a 40 average.

Here are some of the early additions   from the low 100 section

Keep running across  boardie trading partners like Montezuma, whose books were all his under copies , and Catrick who I did several trades with,  each of those added at least 50 books to my quest, but the details of which were not tracked at the time.  For Catrick I know  I ended up sending him many of my unusual items that I had picked up in the early days of ebay including many of the books I had won from an ebay seller named Grapevine.  I used to troll his auctions looking for bargains , much like I am   now doing  on 4gems books on heritage.  I have actually won 4 of Glans books with bids under 25 ( of course with  the 29 fee, tax and shipping  the actual cost  nearly triples) 

fc 101 Terry&Pirates.jpg

fc 104 FairyTaleParade.jpg

fc 105 Albert&Pogo.jpg

fc 112 PP GopherGulch.jpg

FC 113 Popeye.jpg

fc 114 FairyTale.jpg

fc 115 LittleLulu.jpg

fc 123 BB DangerousVenture.jpg

fc 125 LoneRanger.jpg

fc 129 BrerRabbit.jpg

fc 131 LittleLulu.jpg

fc 132 TillieToiler.jpg

fc 133 DickTracy.jpg

fc 135 Felix.jpg

On 11/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, jmg3637 said:

i have estimated cost and entered the 700s  and 600s and am now up to 997 books evaluated.  Even though I am raising the average values entered and have several books over $100,  the average continued to fall to 46.62.  maybe the trend will change when I get to  first series and first 200 of the second series.  Other than those sections all other hundreds are currently below a 40 average.

Here are some of the early additions   from the low 100 section

Keep running across  boardie trading partners like Montezuma, whose books were all his under copies , and Catrick who I did several trades with,  each of those added at least 50 books to my quest, but the details of which were not tracked at the time.  For Catrick I know  I ended up sending him many of my unusual items that I had picked up in the early days of ebay including many of the books I had won from an ebay seller named Grapevine.  I used to troll his auctions looking for bargains , much like I am   now doing  on 4gems books on heritage.  I have actually won 4 of Glans books with bids under 25 ( of course with  the 29 fee, tax and shipping  the actual cost  nearly triples) 

fc 101 Terry&Pirates.jpg

fc 104 FairyTaleParade.jpg

fc 105 Albert&Pogo.jpg

fc 112 PP GopherGulch.jpg

FC 113 Popeye.jpg

fc 114 FairyTale.jpg

fc 115 LittleLulu.jpg

fc 123 BB DangerousVenture.jpg

fc 125 LoneRanger.jpg

fc 129 BrerRabbit.jpg

fc 131 LittleLulu.jpg

fc 132 TillieToiler.jpg

fc 133 DickTracy.jpg

fc 135 Felix.jpg

Great stuff - from the best run in comics! That Albert the Alligator number 105 is one of my favorites of the whole run, and yours is in great shape. Even the television books, at which I used to turn my nose up, now appeal to me more and more. I say it all the time: Four Color is the broadest survey of Americana there is!

Sure, Life magazine, for example, had the later 30’s through about the early 60’s (when it lost some of its luster) covered with some great photojournalism by Bourke-White and others, but it was aimed chiefly at adults, thus ignoring too great a slice of the entertainment equation. 

On 11/28/2022 at 3:48 AM, AJD said:

Just for fun, in slow time I'm trying to map the Four Color series into Australian editions. It's complicated by the fact that they split into many series by many publishers. So far I've identified 119 issues, including these 'Movie Classics' by Ace Comics. This pic is from eBay (I didn't buy them) but I now know there were 20 in the series, all FC movie adaptations.

2009233171_MovieClassics.thumb.jpg.9c114410884d1f47a19bd9e22845d154.jpg

I gathered images of the UK 'Movie Classics' reprints by World Distributors a few years back (there were gaps on the GCD at the time). We'll have to cross reference for any triples Andy :headbang:

42617.jpg.296e9ea3931aafdb973fa91ae3b4f5a2.jpg  950223.jpg.defe37dc37dd13caec974187f53af4f8.jpg  s-l500.jpg.1fd0879b959656c77a71b94876f1b3c8.jpg

I am far from being a Four-color collector, but I really like the few I've picked up here and there, especially the Duck books.  The most I've ever paid for a Four-color was $50ea, and that was for 2 Duck books.  Most of them have been between $3 and $10 at comic shops.  It's funny, I see these (especially the TV show comics) as being very nostalgic, but my serious comic collector friends look at me like I'm insane when I buy them.  lol

On 11/30/2022 at 6:58 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

@OtherEric  I think you did.  And I think mine were a good buy too...but I doubt I will ever want to sell them...

16555013921_e705059874_c.jpg

16555588392_774879c14c_c.jpg

Two of the best stories right there! I loved Barks’ fake Latin in Golden Helmet and on occasion will still quote it today!