• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

Great, great books Bullet - thanks for sharing them!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Are you trying to complete the entire Four Color series, or just the early books??

Psycho that I am, the entire run. I figure it should take about twenty years. Five to ten years for the first 75%, then 10-20 years for the rest. There is at least one complete run out there that I know of, however I am trying to put it together in VF or better. An impossible task, I realize, but I will not start settling for lower graded copies until I run out of nice, tremendous eye appeal copies to pick up which I am assuming will take at least the next five or so years. For me, there are no must haves, so I will not put pressure on myself to pick up certain issues over others and settle on quality. I pick them up as they become available and my budget allows.

An admirable quest if ever there was one! 893applaud-thumb.gif It's great to see so many different FC covers all in one place. The fairy tale/nursery rhyme covers are absolutely fantastic.

Great, great books Bullet - thanks for sharing them!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Are you trying to complete the entire Four Color series, or just the early books??

Psycho that I am, the entire run. I figure it should take about twenty years. Five to ten years for the first 75%, then 10-20 years for the rest. There is at least one complete run out there that I know of, however I am trying to put it together in VF or better. An impossible task, I realize, but I will not start settling for lower graded copies until I run out of nice, tremendous eye appeal copies to pick up which I am assuming will take at least the next five or so years. For me, there are no must haves, so I will not put pressure on myself to pick up certain issues over others and settle on quality. I pick them up as they become available and my budget allows.

An admirable quest if ever there was one! 893applaud-thumb.gif It's great to see so many different FC covers all in one place. The fairy tale/nursery rhyme covers are absolutely fantastic.

All those scans and I can't even keep this thread on the first page. Talk about unloved

All those scans and I can't even keep this thread on the first page. Talk about unloved

It's the typical superhero bias that exists in the comicbook world. Post a scan of an Action #1 or Detective #27 and you'd have a hundred people here genuflecting (again).

Don't let it deter you Bob! Some of us appreciate your efforts! thumbsup2.gif

It's the typical superhero bias that exists in the comicbook world. Post a scan of an Action #1 or Detective #27 and you'd have a hundred people here genuflecting (again).

Just including those key phrases and quoting them a couple of times might triple the traffic on the thread by people using the search function!

Don't let it deter you Bob! Some of us appreciate your efforts! thumbsup2.gif

I'm loving it! Nicest copies of most of those books that I'm ever likely to see! (Not least because they're some of the best existing copies.) I have the fantasy of completing the run too, but would be satisfied with low to mid-grade and reader copies. I don't expect to ever get the scarcest issues. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

Jack

I enjoyed seeing them! 893applaud-thumb.gif

absolutely loving it... funny though, since I owned the 8.0 LR FC82 - you don't have all the best copies - but are just shooting for an over-all HG collection.??? (I'd say it's super-duper HG for FC) How long has this been going on? Collecting for years or just recent? I see a lot of Heritage stickers on these copies so probably picked up recently & not picking up for a song??? Wow factor is great since these aren't seen lined up like Sup's or Det's in these threads...

grin.gif

There are so many awesome threads and books in the Golden Age section that it becomes tough to respond and give kudos to all of them.

Your books are absolutely amazing, and hopefully you'll continue posting more! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Interesting style with the plump, shiny cheeks and all. The facial expressions look like the artist may have been thinking of Disney's Seven Dwarves. Anyone know who did the cover? Is the interior artwork similar?

Jack

fc809.jpg

Interesting style with the plump, shiny cheeks and all. The facial expressions look like the artist may have been thinking of Disney's Seven Dwarves. Anyone know who did the cover? Is the interior artwork similar?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As far as I know, Scott did his own art on the Dell comics.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As far as I know, Scott did his own art on the Dell comics.

So that's really Scott's work. I thought maybe Scott was just the originator's/owner's name, like Lantz or Disney.

Thanks,

Jack

Just checked toonopedia and they list him as writer and artist

"The following year, in addition to the Sunday comic, Scott began writing and drawing The Little People in comic book form. Dell Comics published it in the catch-all series, Four Color Comics, the 485th issue of which (August, 1953) was devoted to Scott's feature."