• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Identifying a Bethlehem Copy...

8 posts in this topic

I'm planning on selling my Showcase #57 and I'm still wondering if it's a Bethlehem copy.

I bought it - and a few other books - from a dealer called Paper Moon circa 1990. They weren't sold as Bethlehem copies but the Space Western #44 surely was, as it had the famous "E.J. Kery" store stamp on the back. I understand that later Bethlehem books don't have this stamp but have a red date stamp instead. My other Paper Moon books, including the Showcase 57, all have a red date stamp on the front cover so it really makes me wonder....

Without any pedigree type papers can Bethlehem copies be positively identified? Anyone know?

Dave

Dave,

Page quality to Bethlehem issues are usually ow and exhibit light tan to edges in my experience. however, not all issues can be identified by the presence of either a date or a shop stamp to the covers. My copy of TTA # 36 does not exhibit either stamps nor did it come with certificate of authenticity, also tanning was not present.

If you need to slab the book in question, just let CGC know from whom you originally purchased it so they can confirm provenence for you.

Hope that helps,

Al.

I have a Showcase #59 from that collection, as well as most of the Doom Patrols, Early Caps, and a few others. All have a red date stamp with a " D " before the date. A couple of the books have a light dust shadow, but all have off white pages.

all i can add to this discussion is in relation to the only 2 bethelehem copies i have ever owned.they were atlas comics copies of astonishing #'s 3 & 5.both were purchased from marnin rosenburg who is,indeed, the mac-daddy of bethelehem books.neither had stamps of any kind,had cream to off white pages(nice),and the most exceptional level of gloss i've ever seen on atlas books.may GOD bless you and your families...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Thanks everyone for their replies. I contacted Marnin Rosenberg and then Phil Weiss who first discovered the Bethlehem collection. He thinks there is a good probability that my books are Bethlehems. I also sent an email to CGC and they called me by phone ( ! ) to say that there was a good chance that they could pedigree at least some of the books. I think its worth getting them slabbed and see what CGC finds out. So now I'm wondering ... what do you guys think a NM Bethlehem Showcase 57 might be worth in today's market?