• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Batman Artists Poll

All-Time Favorite Batman Artist  

189 members have voted

1. 1. All-Time Favorite Batman Artist

39 posts in this topic

To me, Batman is one of the greatest creations in all of literary fiction, however, what first drew me to the character was the way he looked. Many artists have stated that they didn't think that they had "Made It", as a professional, until they had finally had the opportunity to "Show Their Stuff" in a Batman story...

Here, Ladies and Gentlemen, is my first poll:

This will likely be pretty one-sided. To open things up, perhaps we could break this down by time period. My picks:

Favorite 1940s: Jerry Robinson

Favorite 1950s: Sprang

Favorite 1960s: Carmine Infantino

Favorite early 1970s: Neal Adams

Favorite late 1970s: Marshall Rogers

Favorite 1980s: Dave Mazzucchelli

etc.

Cheers,

Z.

This will likely be pretty one-sided. To open things up, perhaps we could break this down by time period. My picks:

Favorite 1940s: Jerry Robinson

Favorite 1950s: Sprang

Favorite 1960s: Carmine Infantino

Favorite early 1970s: Neal Adams

Favorite late 1970s: Marshall Rogers

Favorite 1980s: Dave Mazzucchelli

etc.

Cheers,

Z.

Ah...but the poll is for All-Time. It's quite easy to break it down by decades. It's another thing indeed to select the best over-all. It was not meant to be easy...

As for myself, Marshall Rogers almost wins the prize, but Michael Golden wins by a nose. To the best of my knowledge, Golden only ever drew Bats once...but, hey, it WAS a pretty thick book... grin.gif

-Joe

To the best of my knowledge, Golden only ever drew Bats once...but, hey, it WAS a pretty thick book... grin.gif

-Joe

Well, then I have some good perhaps great news for you. Golden drew at least 6 Batman stories.

Batman Family 18 (P. Craig Russell inks)

Batman Family 19 (P. Craig Russell inks)

Batman Family 20 (Ragman x-over)

Batman 295

Batman Spectacular (DC Special Series 15) (Talia & Ras)

Batman Special 1984 (suspect this is the one you refer to above)

Oh, I voted for Neal Adams overall, surprise, surprise.

Cheers,

Z.

I voted for Adams just based on the covers I have been perusing on the net.

But I would also say I was REALLY thrilled by Wrightson's Swamp Thing #7 portrayal of Batman. It has been many years but two images really stand out: a very gothic scene of Batman next to a Grotesgue (some would say Gargoyle but it was not a water spout) done in overall grays/blues, and a shot of the bat suit draped over a chair (in closeup so you didn't really realize it was a chair at first) that had a claw on the chair arm - the draping of the suit and the juxtaposition of the claw made it look like Batman had somehow withered into a skeletal being. Very unsettling.

Also, the overall look of the Wrightson Batman, with exagerrated (forget what you call those forearm "hooks"). And also the draping of the cape - really well done and looking for all the world like real fabric. And those ears. A very dark knight indeed.

I think that Wrightson's Batman had a real influence on Kelly Jones, though I'm not in love with Jones' version. Wrightson did Batman: The Cult, too, I think...

I have to say another Batman artist that NEVER gets his due, IMHO, is Jim Aparo, especially his efforts on Brave and Bold. When I was a kid, Aparo was THE Batman artist for me...

-Joe

Adams, of course. And the poll is reflecting the obvious.

But good calls by some of you guys. I always thought Aparo drew a good Batman. Marshall Rogers always gets props in a Batman discussion. How about Brian Bolland? His "Killing Joke" was really awesome. And some of the covers he did in the early 90's for the regular title were nice. (Can't remember the issue #, but it was a pic of Bats on the front page of a Russian newspaper. Always really liked that one!)

And, yes, Bernie Wrightson did the art for Batman: The Cult. A pretty demonic looking Batman w/ the super long ears!

Chris

Easy, Neal Adams hands down. The real poll question should be "Who is your second favorite Batman artist?". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif Good point! 27_laughing.gif

I'd wager, though, that most of the votes he's getting come from your age demographic. Not to take anything away from him at all, I'm just saying that we most likely tend to vote for the artist that defined the character for us during our childhood. (At least that was the case with me and Michael G.)

There's probably not greater than a two-percent variance, I'm guessing...

-Joe

Easy, Neal Adams hands down. The real poll question should be "Who is your second favorite Batman artist?". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif Good point! 27_laughing.gif

I'd wager, though, that most of the votes he's getting come from your age demographic. Not to take anything away from him at all, I'm just saying that we most likely tend to vote for the artist that defined the character for us during our childhood. (At least that was the case with me and Michael G.)

I wasn't yet born when Neal Adams was doing Batman, and I voted for him. I think that you'll find that I'm not alone. Young and old alike will be casting their votes for Adams. As long as you get a chance to see what he did, and have any inkling of what his work meant, I don't think there can really be any other answer: Neal Adams is the greatest Batman artist ever.

Second favorite is a toughie. I'd have to go with Marshall Rogers. His was a very fun run. Plenty of other guys are deserving however.

Don Newton did a nice Batman also. Batman has always been my favorite DC character so I've followed his series closely over the years. I grew up on the Sprang version and Neal Adams wins hands down.