• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Batman Artists Poll

All-Time Favorite Batman Artist  

189 members have voted

1. 1. All-Time Favorite Batman Artist

39 posts in this topic

i like michael golden, but i don't recall seeing his batman, can someone please post a pic? thanks in advance! laugh.gif

07718010264.1.GIF

"The Wrath" was a worthy opponent as well, albeit with a crummy moniker.

Too bad they killed him off in his debut... frown.gif

-Joe

Didn't Kaluta do this classic cover? Did he do the interiors as well?

His work has to rank up there as well...

07206180254.253.GIF

WOW!!! a Milehigh NM copy of Batman #253...wonder what he wants for that??

[/img]

Kaluta has not done any interiors on Batman stories (to my knowledge). In addition to this one, he also did the cover to Batman 242 (the Novick issue that led into the classic Neal Adams Ras al Ghul two-parter in 243-244). Also did several great Detective Comics covers, including one mind-blowing perspective shot of the Batman as a sniper on top of a tower (Believe it was 'Tec 425). Scans later...

Cheers,

Z.

[/img]

Kaluta has not done any interiors on Batman stories (to my knowledge). In addition to this one, he also did the cover to Batman 242 (the Novick issue that led into the classic Neal Adams Ras al Ghul two-parter in 243-244). Also did several great Detective Comics covers, including one mind-blowing perspective shot of the Batman as a sniper on top of a tower (Believe it was 'Tec 425). Scans later...

Cheers,

Z.

Detective 425 is the Wrightson cover - Green cover - Batman on a horse drawn carraige(sp?)!

Sigh...you've disappointed me! frown.gif

Detective 425 is the Wrightson cover - Green cover - Batman on a horse drawn carraige(sp?)!

flamed.gif Curses!

I'm afraid to ask what I must now do to redeem myself...

sorry.gif

Edited since I found the scan-- It is 423 after all. What a cover!

87_4_423.jpg

That was one of the first back issue comics I brought of Detective. Still got it. If only the interior art had been done by Wrightson as well...sigh.

Proverbs great thread 893applaud-thumb.gif

I will work on scans but here are some great Batman covers from the years:

Batman 23 - classic Joker chess cover. Great stuff

Batman 189 - Scarecrow anyone? (giella inks)

Batman 190 - great Penguin cover (giella inks)

Batman 227 - one of Neal's best

Batman 244 - another of Neal's finest

Batman 251 - the Joker cover by Neal

Batman 286 - two Jokers by Aparo (great stuff)

Batman 400 - dark and gritty

Batman 465 - Classic Norm Breyfogle - he does the best Tim Drake Robin

Batman 608 2ns - my favorite Hush cover

I wish I knew more about the flagship Detective, but best cover that comes to mind is Detective 475.

DAM

i like michael golden, but i don't recall seeing his batman, can someone please post a pic? thanks in advance! laugh.gif

07718010264.1.GIF

-Joe

I just bought this Batman Special issue a week ago and haven't opened it up yet...

Is The Wrath the other character on this cover?

07718010264.1.GIF

-Joe

I just bought this Batman Special issue a week ago and haven't opened it up yet...

Yeah, that's the other guy, Batman's opposite number, with the same background viewed thru a "cracked mirror's perspective". His Parents were gunned down on the same night as Thomas and Martha Wayne, but by rookie cop Jim Gordon!

He then decided to train his body and mind to the peak of human perfection to wipe out folks like (Now-Commissioner) Gordon, if memory serves...

There's one scene in that book where the Wraths worried girlfriend is thankful to see him alive, and she calls out to his silhouette, only to see Batman slowly emerge from the darkness...

It was that very scene that cemented Golden as the all-time great to my young self... 893applaud-thumb.gif

-Joe (Waxing Nostalgic, yet again...)

07718010264.1.GIF

-Joe

Yeah, that's the other guy, Batman's opposite number, with the same background viewed thru a "cracked mirror's perspective". His Parents were gunned down on the same night as Thomas and Martha Wayne, but by rookie cop Jim Gordon!

He then decided to train his body and mind to the peak of human perfection to wipe out folks like (Now-Commissioner) Gordon, if memory serves...

There's one scene in that book where the Wraths worried girlfriend is thankful to see him alive, and she calls out to his silhouette, only to see Batman slowly emerge from the darkness...

It was that very scene that cemented Golden as the all-time great to my young self... 893applaud-thumb.gif

-Joe (Waxing Nostalgic, yet again...)

Sounds pretty cool, I'm looking forward to it. I think I'll read it tomorrow!

Sheldon Moldoff

Always the under dog. Nobody but me likes his work. My favorite artist of Batman. CGC doesn't even mention his name on slabbed books of his that he did the art in. The Rodney Dangerfild of artists, gets no respect. He's only drawn every cover of Batman from #101 to #140 and Detective Comics #233 to #300 and been artist of even more Batman stories then anyone else I can think of. Sure lets keep him out of the poll.

Sheldon gets my vote.

I can't put dates to them but there was a period where Mike Grell was penciling the Dark Knight that sticks in my mind "The Heart of a Vampire" from Detective 455. The same for Breyfogle, he had a good run around Batmam 450

dave h

I can't put dates to them but there was a period where Mike Grell was penciling the Dark Knight that sticks in my mind "The Heart of a Vampire" from Detective 455. The same for Breyfogle, he had a good run around Batmam 450

dave h

I don't think that I ever saw Grell's version, but I loved Breyfogle's. Despite the fact that it was a bit "cartoony", he nevertheless managed to convey a lot of moodiness and movement. How long WAS Batman's cape, anyway? wink.gif

-Joe